Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Meatloaf

I have a new idea for an egg substitute for meatloaf. Baby food squash.
I've been told it works quite well. And luckily it was on sale! I figure
this will be a way to get more vegetables into Angela. I'm going to try it
tomorrow. Will get small amounts of veggies from the salad bar to add to
it. I don't use milk, but a vegetable type cocktail...similar to V8 but
prefer to get organic if I can. And I add a small amount of gluten free
oats to the mix. I try to do about half meat and half veggies.

I will be making the chicken teriyaki for Angela tomorrow with some extra so
she can take it in her lunch next week at dance camp. I will eat the
meatloaf and will make extra to put in the freezer. We're supposed to be
having hot weather next week and I won't want to use the oven then!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

inteerested to see how that works, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I have a new idea for an egg substitute for meatloaf. Baby food squash.
>I've been told it works quite well. And luckily it was on sale! I figure
>this will be a way to get more vegetables into Angela. I'm going to try it
>tomorrow. Will get small amounts of veggies from the salad bar to add to
>it. I don't use milk, but a vegetable type cocktail...similar to V8 but
>prefer to get organic if I can. And I add a small amount of gluten free
>oats to the mix. I try to do about half meat and half veggies.
>
> I will be making the chicken teriyaki for Angela tomorrow with some extra
> so she can take it in her lunch next week at dance camp. I will eat the
> meatloaf and will make extra to put in the freezer. We're supposed to be
> having hot weather next week and I won't want to use the oven then!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> inteerested to see how that works, Lee

I'll let you know.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The Silver Palate New Basics cookbook has a wonderful meatloaf recipe, which
I think is called Market Street Meatloaf. Basically, the idea is that you
finely mince and sautee a bunch of vegetables, let them cool, and mix into
the meat with various spices and stuff. The original recipe includes lots of
things that diabetics would want to avoid, but the basic principle of
mincing and sauteeing the vegetables and adding them to the meat can
certainly be used by diabetics. Breadcrumbs and the like really aren't
necessary.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message

> The Silver Palate New Basics cookbook has a wonderful meatloaf recipe,
> which I think is called Market Street Meatloaf. Basically, the idea is
> that you finely mince and sautee a bunch of vegetables, let them cool, and
> mix into the meat with various spices and stuff. The original recipe
> includes lots of things that diabetics would want to avoid, but the basic
> principle of mincing and sauteeing the vegetables and adding them to the
> meat can certainly be used by diabetics. Breadcrumbs and the like really
> aren't necessary.

Thanks! I don't have that one. I have the Good Times one.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I remember in the 60's many people added Campbell's Veggie soup in their
meatloaf.

"Janet" > wrote in message

> The Silver Palate New Basics cookbook has a wonderful meatloaf recipe,
> which I think is called Market Street Meatloaf. Basically, the idea is
> that you finely mince and sautee a bunch of vegetables, let them cool, and
> mix into the meat with various spices and stuff. The original recipe
> includes lots of things that diabetics would want to avoid, but the basic
> principle of mincing and sauteeing the vegetables and adding them to the
> meat can certainly be used by diabetics. Breadcrumbs and the like really
> aren't necessary.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I remember in the 60's many people added Campbell's Veggie soup in their
>meatloaf.

I gave an old Betty Crocker cookbook that uses canned soup in all kinds of
disgusting ways.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message

> The Silver Palate New Basics cookbook has a wonderful meatloaf recipe,
> which I think is called Market Street Meatloaf. Basically, the idea is
> that you finely mince and sautee a bunch of vegetables, let them cool, and
> mix into the meat with various spices and stuff. The original recipe
> includes lots of things that diabetics would want to avoid, but the basic
> principle of mincing and sauteeing the vegetables and adding them to the
> meat can certainly be used by diabetics. Breadcrumbs and the like really
> aren't necessary.

I mince and sautee the vegetables then let them cool before adding them to
the meat mixture also. I usually use carrot (shredded) celery and onion.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

In the stony fastness of the mountains there is a strange market, where one
may barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss. - Milarepa

REC - Meatloaf Damsel in dis Dress[_6_] General Cooking 57 11-01-2009 08:50 PM
Meatloaf Julie Bove Diabetic 36 01-03-2008 11:27 AM
Meatloaf Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 15-03-2006 07:31 AM
Meatloaf kimmy Recipes (moderated) 0 13-04-2005 05:07 AM