Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Hominy!

Angela found some cans of hominy at the store a few weeks ago and asked to
try it. She doesn't remember that I used to try to serve it to her.
Neither she nor my husband like the stuff. I bought both the white and the
yellow and they both find it disgusting. I just love the stuff!

I tried a recipe that my mom sent me when we lived in CA. It had hominy,
bacon, cheese and I think milk in it. Loved it! But they wouldn't eat it.
So I never made it again.

Oddly, I had trouble finding hominy and black eyed peas when we lived in CA.
Not too many places carried them. And I think I had to buy the black eyed
peas frozen.

No problems here. These are the store brand. And they are yummy! Yeah, I
know... Not the best thing for a diabetic to eat, but I haven't had them in
years! And I probably won't have them again for years.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Angela found some cans of hominy at the store a few weeks ago and asked
> to try it. She doesn't remember that I used to try to serve it to her.
> Neither she nor my husband like the stuff. I bought both the white and
> the yellow and they both find it disgusting. I just love the stuff!
>
> I tried a recipe that my mom sent me when we lived in CA. It had hominy,
> bacon, cheese and I think milk in it. Loved it! But they wouldn't eat
> it. So I never made it again.
>
> Oddly, I had trouble finding hominy and black eyed peas when we lived in
> CA. Not too many places carried them. And I think I had to buy the black
> eyed peas frozen.
>
> No problems here. These are the store brand. And they are yummy! Yeah,
> I know... Not the best thing for a diabetic to eat, but I haven't had
> them in years! And I probably won't have them again for years.

I love hominy grits. As with pinhead oats, I only have small portions and
not often.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i can do the hom but you KEEP those bep to yourself, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Angela found some cans of hominy at the store a few weeks ago and asked to
> try it. She doesn't remember that I used to try to serve it to her.
> Neither she nor my husband like the stuff. I bought both the white and
> the yellow and they both find it disgusting. I just love the stuff!
>
> I tried a recipe that my mom sent me when we lived in CA. It had hominy,
> bacon, cheese and I think milk in it. Loved it! But they wouldn't eat
> it. So I never made it again.
>
> Oddly, I had trouble finding hominy and black eyed peas when we lived in
> CA. Not too many places carried them. And I think I had to buy the black
> eyed peas frozen.
>
> No problems here. These are the store brand. And they are yummy! Yeah,
> I know... Not the best thing for a diabetic to eat, but I haven't had
> them in years! And I probably won't have them again for years.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Angela found some cans of hominy at the store a few weeks ago and asked to
> try it. She doesn't remember that I used to try to serve it to her.
> Neither she nor my husband like the stuff. I bought both the white and
> the yellow and they both find it disgusting. I just love the stuff!
>
> I tried a recipe that my mom sent me when we lived in CA. It had hominy,
> bacon, cheese and I think milk in it. Loved it! But they wouldn't eat
> it. So I never made it again.
>
> Oddly, I had trouble finding hominy and black eyed peas when we lived in
> CA. Not too many places carried them. And I think I had to buy the black
> eyed peas frozen.

That is a mystery to me. I've never been in a store in CA that didn't carry
both, with one or two different brands even.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Angela found some cans of hominy at the store a few weeks ago and asked
>> to try it. She doesn't remember that I used to try to serve it to her.
>> Neither she nor my husband like the stuff. I bought both the white and
>> the yellow and they both find it disgusting. I just love the stuff!
>>
>> I tried a recipe that my mom sent me when we lived in CA. It had hominy,
>> bacon, cheese and I think milk in it. Loved it! But they wouldn't eat
>> it. So I never made it again.
>>
>> Oddly, I had trouble finding hominy and black eyed peas when we lived in
>> CA. Not too many places carried them. And I think I had to buy the black
>> eyed peas frozen.

> That is a mystery to me. I've never been in a store in CA that didn't
> carry both, with one or two different brands even.

Really? Well we didn't have many stores to choose from where I lived.
There were two Safeways and two Albertsons. Oddly I believe Albertsons is
the store here where I bought the hominy. Oddly, the various Albertsons
seem to all carry different things. They did in CA and they do here as
well.

I only learned of another grocery store shortly before we moved. My
neighbor told me to go there for the food for Angela's party because it was
kosher. Knowing nothing of Jewish dietary laws, I just went there and
bought what she told me to buy. At the party, she told me the meat was
good. And then I asked her if she had tried the cheese, not knowing that
she couldn't eat them together. Anyway... It was an odd little store. It
reminded me of a 1960's grocery store, right down to the checkout stands.

I think that store is no longer there. When I learned that we might be
moving back there, I looked online for sources for Angela's gluten free
foods. I found a health food/organic store that appeared to be right where
that little store was. It is possible that the deli counter is still there
though as it was owned by some brothers who were not part of the store
itself.

REC: Hominy Casserole Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 14 14-07-2009 06:09 PM
Hominy Grits Hokan[_1_] General Cooking 26 28-02-2007 05:14 AM
Hominy Casserole Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Hominy Louis Cohen General Cooking 12 11-03-2004 04:23 PM
Help with hominy dish? Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 11 07-12-2003 04:46 AM