Louis Cohen

Default Hominy

We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole kernels in pozole or
ground into grits, is corn from which the hull and germ have been removed,
either mechanically, or chemically (typically with lye). But why?

Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or whole corn kernels?

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Jack Schidt®

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole kernels in pozole or
> ground into grits, is corn from which the hull and germ have been removed,
> either mechanically, or chemically (typically with lye). But why?

I'd say it's for the flavor and texture. Check this out:

http://www.zarela.com/new_recipes/nixtamal.html

> Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or whole corn

kernels?

AFAIK, those are simply ground dried corn.

Jack Corny

Peter Aitken

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole kernels in pozole or
> ground into grits, is corn from which the hull and germ have been removed,
> either mechanically, or chemically (typically with lye). But why?
>
> Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or whole corn

kernels?

I believe that the lye is an essential part of the process. When the corn is
exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in the corn are changed to other
amino acids and as a result hominy is nutritionally superior to regular
corn, particularly for people who do not each much meat.

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Louis Cohen wrote:
> We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole kernels in pozole
> or ground into grits, is corn from which the hull and germ have been
> removed, either mechanically, or chemically (typically with lye).
> But why?

To puff up the corn and make it more of a substantial meal for a family.
Also, back in the day, they didn't consider the 'bran' to be worth much.
I'm still not sure how much it's worth. Hominy still has the germ of the
corn intact.

> Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or whole corn
> kernels?

I guess it depends on where you buy them. I don't know anyone who grinds
cornmeal from hominy; it's an entirely different process to grind corn than
it is to soak it in lye first. Whole corn kernels, if presented as such,
should be simply that. Corn kernels.

Jill

Cindy Fuller

In article > ,
"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> "Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> > We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole kernels in pozole or
> > ground into grits, is corn from which the hull and germ have been removed,
> > either mechanically, or chemically (typically with lye). But why?
> >
> > Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or whole corn

> kernels?
> >

> I believe that the lye is an essential part of the process. When the corn is
> exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in the corn are changed to other
> amino acids and as a result hominy is nutritionally superior to regular
> corn, particularly for people who do not each much meat.

Close but not quite, Peter. Hominy is still an incomplete protein
source due to the lack of the amino acid lysine. Alkaline (as lime,
calcium hydroxide) treatment of corn actually liberates niacin from
protein and makes it more available. This is why the niacin deficiency
disease pellagra was so common in the southern US before flour was
enriched. Poor folks were eating a corn- (not hominy) based diet and
not getting sufficient niacin as a result. Mexican corn tortillas are
made from ground dried hominy, so pellagra was less common in that
population.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

WardNA

>I believe that the lye is an essential part of the process. When the corn is
>exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in the corn are changed to other
>amino acids and as a result hominy is nutritionally superior to regular
>corn

I don't know about the amino acid claim, but that's my understanding, too, that
the lye process somehow makes more of the protein available. Similar to what's
done to the form of corn used to make tortillas.

Neil
hahabogus

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> I guess it depends on where you buy them. I don't know anyone who
> grinds cornmeal from hominy; it's an entirely different process to
> grind corn than it is to soak it in lye first. Whole corn kernels, if
> presented as such, should be simply that. Corn kernels.
>
> Jill

Aren't corn tortillas made from flour made from lye soaked corn...Or is
that Lime soaked corn?

--
Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on nothing but food
and water.
Peter Aitken

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> WardNA wrote:
> >> I don't know anyone who grinds
> >> cornmeal from hominy

> > That's what grits is, no?

> No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.

Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by cooking cornmeal in
water to get a mush. If the cornmeal was ground from hominy rather than
regular corn then you have hominy grits.

--
Peter Aitken

jmcquown

Peter Aitken wrote:

>>> That's what grits is, no?

>> No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.
>>

> Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by cooking
> cornmeal in water to get a mush.

That is absolutely not true. Grits do not = cornmeal mush or as so many
upper-scale places like to call mush, 'polenta'.

Corn Grits
The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content, then each kernel is cleaned
with forced air. The kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where
they are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh
screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits and
the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product.
This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal
preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before
cooking.

Hominy is made from field corn that is soaked in lye water (potash water in
the old days) and stirred over the next day or two until the entire shell or
bran comes loose and rises to the top. The kernel itself swells to twice its
original size. After the remaining kernels have been rinsed several times,
they are spread to dry either on cloth or screen dryers.

Jill

Peter Aitken

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:
>
> > "Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> > > We all know that hominy, whether presented in whole kernels in pozole

or
> > > ground into grits, is corn from which the hull and germ have been

removed,
> > > either mechanically, or chemically (typically with lye). But why?
> > >
> > > Are conventional cornmeal/polenta made from hominy? Or whole corn

> > kernels?
> > >

> > I believe that the lye is an essential part of the process. When the

corn is
> > exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in the corn are changed to other
> > amino acids and as a result hominy is nutritionally superior to regular
> > corn, particularly for people who do not each much meat.

> Close but not quite, Peter. Hominy is still an incomplete protein
> source due to the lack of the amino acid lysine. Alkaline (as lime,
> calcium hydroxide) treatment of corn actually liberates niacin from
> protein and makes it more available. This is why the niacin deficiency
> disease pellagra was so common in the southern US before flour was
> enriched. Poor folks were eating a corn- (not hominy) based diet and
> not getting sufficient niacin as a result. Mexican corn tortillas are
> made from ground dried hominy, so pellagra was less common in that
> population.

Thannks - I looked into it and see that you are correct.

--
Peter Aitken

Dave Smith

WardNA wrote:

> >I believe that the lye is an essential part of the process. When the corn is
> >exposed to lye, some of the amino acids in the corn are changed to other
> >amino acids and as a result hominy is nutritionally superior to regular
> >corn

> I don't know about the amino acid claim, but that's my understanding, too, that
> the lye process somehow makes more of the protein available. Similar to what's
> done to the form of corn used to make tortillas.

People were making hominy from corn long before they understood the chemistry of
nutrition. From what I have been able to find out about it, the lye water causes
the shells to separate from the kernels. It also removes the little black eyes.
The alternative to lye "cooking" is to steam the corn to remove the husk.

Bob (this one)

WardNA wrote:

>>I don't know anyone who grinds
>>cornmeal from hominy

> That's what grits is, no?

Yep. And you can also find it in several specific shapes and sizes of
grind. My current fave is dried, flaked hominy. Little flat bullets of
hominy that cook up to a polenta-like consistency. Cooled, sliced and
fried makes a good base for hearty stews or as a perfectly wonderful
butter-delivery vehicle.

Pastorio

Peter Aitken

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:

> >> No, grits are not the same as cornmeal.
> >>

> > Grits and cornmeal *are* the same - you make grits by cooking
> > cornmeal in water to get a mush.

> That is absolutely not true. Grits do not = cornmeal mush or as so many
> upper-scale places like to call mush, 'polenta'.
>
> Corn Grits
> The corn is dried to a 14% moisture content, then each kernel is cleaned
> with forced air. The kernels of grain are run through the mill stone where
> they are ground to a certain texture and then sifted through two wire mesh
> screens. The three products sorted are white corn meal, white corn grits

and
> the bran that pops off. There is a fine bran still in the grits product.
> This bran will never soften up with cooking. Depending on personal
> preference, the bran can be left in or removed by rinsing the grits before
> cooking.

Sorry, but your reference supports my contention - grits *are* corn meal,
ground corn. It may be coarse as opposed to fine corn meal but it is corn
meal just the same.

--
Peter Aitken

Hominy! Julie Bove Diabetic 4 29-06-2010 10:25 PM
REC: Hominy Casserole Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 14 14-07-2009 06:09 PM
Hominy Grits Hokan[_1_] General Cooking 26 28-02-2007 05:14 AM
Hominy Casserole Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Help with hominy dish? Richard's ~JA~ General Cooking 11 07-12-2003 04:46 AM