Jennifer

Default Eat Chocolate For Health

There's good news and good news: First... it appears that dark
chocolate improves blood vessel health.

The other good news is that very very dark chocolate (with a high cocoa
content - not milk or light or even regular) is very low in carbs!

A bar with 85% cocoa... is very very chocolately... not as creamy as
Americans usually like, but will satisfy a real choco-holics taste buds.
And now improve their health. Look for them in the "gourmet" area of
the grocery. Lindt, Droste and others make them.

Jennifer

Study: Chocolate Improves Vessel Health

August 29, 2004 02:50 PM EDT

MUNICH, Germany - There's more good news for chocolate lovers.
Scientists have found that eating dark chocolate appears to improve the
function of important cells lining the wall of blood vessels for at
least three hours.

The study, involving 17 healthy young volunteers who agreed to eat a
bar of dark chocolate and then get an ultrasound, found that eating dark
chocolate seemed to make the blood vessels more flexible, which helps
prevent the hardening of the arteries that leads to heart attacks.

But experts cautioned that the weight gain from eating a lot of
chocolate probably would cancel out the apparent benefit.

Dark chocolate is rich in flavonoids, which act as natural
antioxidants - chemicals that combat the damage oxygen does to the body.
However, that does not mean that chocolate binges will ward off a heart
attack, experts warn.

Cacao, the plant that chocolate comes from, has for centuries been
used for everything from medicine to currency. Although enjoyed
worldwide, until recently it was considered a treat that provided fat
and calories but no substantial nutritional value.

Studies recently have indicated that it releases the happy chemical
seratonin in the brain.

However, during the last few years, studies have suggested - much to
the delight of chocoholics - that it is rich in flavonoids.

The latest study, conducted by cardiologists at Athens Medical School
in Greece, set out to test whether chocolate affected the functioning of
the so-called endothelial cells in the walls of the blood vessels, which
are believed to be affected by oxygen damage and are considered a mirror
of the overall health of the cardiovascular system.

The scientists, who presented their work Sunday at Europe's most
important cardiology conference, gave 3.5 ounces of either dark,
bittersweet, chocolate or fake chocolate to 17 healthy volunteers.

On another day, the volunteers were switched. They had no chocolate
outside of the study, and investigators did not know what each volunteer
ate during the study.

An ultrasound was taken of each volunteer's upper arm to see the
functioning of the endothelial cells in the main artery. The cells
accomplish their goal of controlling the stiffness of the blood vessel
by secreting several active substances that regulate the flexibility of
the vessel and influence clot formation.

"During the chocolate session, endothelial function was improved,
whereas during the placebo day there were no such changes," the study
concluded. "The favorable effects of dark chocolate lasted for three
hours at least."

By improving the blood vessel flexibility in apparently healthy
people, dark chocolate emerges as perhaps a power food, the scientists said.

"At this time, we do not know whether regular intake of dark chocolate
or other cocoa beverages could result in a reduction of total
cardiovascular" problems or death, the study said.

Experts warned against gorging on chocolate as a way to ward off heart
trouble, reminding that excess calories lead to weight gain, which is a
powerful trigger of heart problems. Any benefit to blood vessel
flexibility would probably be wiped out by the danger of the weight
gain, they advised.

Also, while antioxidants in theory help keep the heart healthy and
looked promising in early research, recent rigorous studies
investigating whether antioxidant pills such as vitamins A, C and E ward
off heart attacks have shown them to be useless.

Dr. Michael Gibson, associate chief of cardiology at Harvard
University-linked Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, said the chocolate
study was "interesting."

"There are a few basic science reasons why this might be good, but
keep in mind that antioxidants also improved forearm blood flow but that
didn't necessarily pan out as an effective treatment," said Gibson, who
was not associated with the study.

Jennifer

They have much fewer carbs.

So... don't know if the sugar content is less or not. But they don't
have the same as other chocolate.

Jennifer

Alan wrote:

> [...]
>>trouble, reminding that excess calories lead to weight gain, which is a
>>powerful trigger of heart problems. Any benefit to blood vessel
>>flexibility would probably be wiped out by the danger of the weight
>>gain, they advised.
>>
>> Also, while antioxidants in theory help keep the heart healthy and
>>looked promising in early research, recent rigorous studies
>>investigating whether antioxidant pills such as vitamins A, C and E ward
>>off heart attacks have shown them to be useless.
>>
>> Dr. Michael Gibson, associate chief of cardiology at Harvard
>>University-linked Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, said the chocolate
>>study was "interesting."
>>
>> "There are a few basic science reasons why this might be good, but
>>keep in mind that antioxidants also improved forearm blood flow but that
>>didn't necessarily pan out as an effective treatment," said Gibson, who

Jennifer

Alan wrote:

> [...]
>>trouble, reminding that excess calories lead to weight gain, which is a
>>powerful trigger of heart problems. Any benefit to blood vessel
>>flexibility would probably be wiped out by the danger of the weight
>>gain, they advised.
>>
>> Also, while antioxidants in theory help keep the heart healthy and
>>looked promising in early research, recent rigorous studies
>>investigating whether antioxidant pills such as vitamins A, C and E ward
>>off heart attacks have shown them to be useless.
>>
>> Dr. Michael Gibson, associate chief of cardiology at Harvard
>>University-linked Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, said the chocolate
>>study was "interesting."
>>
>> "There are a few basic science reasons why this might be good, but
>>keep in mind that antioxidants also improved forearm blood flow but that
>>didn't necessarily pan out as an effective treatment," said Gibson, who

Dennis Rekuta

Jennifer wrote:

> They have much fewer carbs.
>
> So... don't know if the sugar content is less or not. But they don't
> have the same as other chocolate.
>
> Jennifer
>

> Alan wrote:
>
>> I do believe that those dark chocolates you're talking about
>> have as much sugar (if not more) than "regular" chocolate.

Dark chocolate in these studies is usually defined as those having 70 %
or greater cocoa content. If it doesn't specifically note the
percentage, you can usually tell by the order of ingredients. Most will
have sugar as the first ingredient and cocoa (or cocoa mass or cocoa
liquor) as the second (even some that are called "dark"). Those with
over 70 % cocoa will have cocoa first.

Usually these bars are 70 %, but there are a few that go up to 85 %.
Lindt makes both for example. I have also had some Belgian and German
bars. Unsweetened (bitter) chocolate for cooking may be even higher, but
I have never been able to eat it straight. If you compare the carb
counts, there is a big difference in carbs once you hit the 70 % mark.

Dennis (Type 2)
Dennis Rekuta

Jennifer wrote:

> They have much fewer carbs.
>
> So... don't know if the sugar content is less or not. But they don't
> have the same as other chocolate.
>
> Jennifer
>

> Alan wrote:
>
>> I do believe that those dark chocolates you're talking about
>> have as much sugar (if not more) than "regular" chocolate.

Dark chocolate in these studies is usually defined as those having 70 %
or greater cocoa content. If it doesn't specifically note the
percentage, you can usually tell by the order of ingredients. Most will
have sugar as the first ingredient and cocoa (or cocoa mass or cocoa
liquor) as the second (even some that are called "dark"). Those with
over 70 % cocoa will have cocoa first.

Usually these bars are 70 %, but there are a few that go up to 85 %.
Lindt makes both for example. I have also had some Belgian and German
bars. Unsweetened (bitter) chocolate for cooking may be even higher, but
I have never been able to eat it straight. If you compare the carb
counts, there is a big difference in carbs once you hit the 70 % mark.

Dennis (Type 2)

Jennifer

The sugar content of the very dark high cocoa content bars is less.

From a Lindt site (Lindt is a great chocolate):

All the bars are 40g servings...

The 85% Cocoa bars have 8g of carbs per serving with 3g of fiber
(thought they are European and may have already subtracted). They have
5g of sugar.
The 70% Cooca bars have 13g of carbs per serving with 2g of fiber. (as
above). They have 11g of sugar.

The "regualar" swiss classic chocolate has 23g of carbs with 1g of fiber
and 22g of sugar.

http://www.globalchocolates.com/Nutrition.htm#4

Jennifer

Alan wrote:

> Sugar is about the only thing in chocolate that has carbs,
> so, either they have about as much carbs as 'regular', or
> they have less carbs. Haven't eyballed an ingredients list
> for those high-percentage chocolates for a long time.
>

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:19:38 -0700, Jennifer
> > wrote:
>

>>They have much fewer carbs.
>>
>>So... don't know if the sugar content is less or not. But they don't
>>have the same as other chocolate.
>>
>>Jennifer
>>

>>Alan wrote:
>>

>>>I do believe that those dark chocolates you're talking about
>>>have as much sugar (if not more) than "regular" chocolate.

Jennifer

The sugar content of the very dark high cocoa content bars is less.

From a Lindt site (Lindt is a great chocolate):

Alan wrote:

> Sugar is about the only thing in chocolate that has carbs,
> so, either they have about as much carbs as 'regular', or
> they have less carbs. Haven't eyballed an ingredients list
> for those high-percentage chocolates for a long time.
>

> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 19:19:38 -0700, Jennifer
> > wrote:
>

>>They have much fewer carbs.
>>
>>So... don't know if the sugar content is less or not. But they don't
>>have the same as other chocolate.
>>
>>Jennifer
>>

>>Alan wrote:
>>

>>>I do believe that those dark chocolates you're talking about
>>>have as much sugar (if not more) than "regular" chocolate.

Randell Tarin

in article , Alan
at Alan
wrote on 09/05/04 5:08 PM:

> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:37:35 -0700, Jennifer
> > wrote:
>
>> The sugar content of the very dark high cocoa content bars is less.
>>
>> From a Lindt site (Lindt is a great chocolate):
>>
>> All the bars are 40g servings...
>>
>> The 85% Cocoa bars have 8g of carbs per serving with 3g of fiber
>> (thought they are European and may have already subtracted). They have
>> 5g of sugar.
>> The 70% Cooca bars have 13g of carbs per serving with 2g of fiber. (as
>> above). They have 11g of sugar.
>>
>> The "regualar" swiss classic chocolate has 23g of carbs with 1g of fiber
>> and 22g of sugar.

http://www.globalchocolates.com/Nutrition.htm#4

>> Jennifer
>>

> Thank you ma'am!
>
> Another Very Good reason to eat more chocolatey chocolate!

From what I understand, cocoa contains oxalic acid that inhibits the body's
ability to absorb calcium. For women, this is a major issue.

As in all things, shouldn't a little moderation be exercised in regards to
chocolate? The fact that it's good for you in small amounts should not
become license to binge. Too much of anything is bad.

Randy

Randell Tarin

in article , Alan
at Alan
wrote on 09/14/04 2:25 AM:

> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 18:37:53 GMT, Randell Tarin
> > wrote:
>
>> in article
, Alan
wrote on 09/05/04 5:08 PM:

>>> On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:37:35 -0700, Jennifer

http://www.globalchocolates.com/Nutrition.htm#4

>>> Thank you ma'am!
>>>
>>> Another Very Good reason to eat more chocolatey chocolate!
>>>

>> From what I understand, cocoa contains oxalic acid that inhibits the body's
>> ability to absorb calcium. For women, this is a major issue.
>>
>> As in all things, shouldn't a little moderation be exercised in regards to
>> chocolate? The fact that it's good for you in small amounts should not
>> become license to binge. Too much of anything is bad.
>>
>> Randy

> Preacher man, who said we were talking about over doing
> it???????
>

> Only you.

Didn't sound like moderation to me. By the way...eat me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

CHOCOLATE IS THE BEST SOURCE OF "MELTED ORGASM IN UR MOUTH" WHICH U CAN SWALLOW LOL, #CHOCOLATELOVER