Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Montreal Steak Seasoning

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message

>>> I know. She was very upset, thinking she did something wrong. But I
>>> showed her where it said 1 Tablespoon for a pound of meat. If anything
>>> she used a bit too little.
>>>
>>> That's the problem with a lot of the stuff I get at the health food
>>> store. No directions! They buy stuff in bulk and repackage it. I need
>>> to get after Jeff and have him put directions on his labels!

>> I think a tablespoon is a lot too. When using some new seasoning it is
>> a good practice to use too little at first till you get the feel of it.
>> Most prepared seasonings like that do tend to have too much salt in them.

> I generally don't use prepared seasonings. I only got it because there is
> a restaurant here that uses it and I figured if they used it, it must be
> good!

No doubt it is delicious stuff. But I use it very sparingly because it can
be too salty.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I think a tablespoon is a lot too. When using some new seasoning it is
>>> a good practice to use too little at first till you get the feel of it.
>>> Most prepared seasonings like that do tend to have too much salt in
>>> them.

>> I generally don't use prepared seasonings. I only got it because there
>> is a restaurant here that uses it and I figured if they used it, it must
>> be good!

> No doubt it is delicious stuff. But I use it very sparingly because it
> can be too salty.

But this is a man who overly salts all of his food. And guess what he ate
for lunch today? Yep! The leftover steak. Even asked Angela if she was
going to eat it before he sank his teeth into it. No complaints today!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Same..i simply put a few sprigs rosemary on top of the meat as i grill it
and thats enough flavor for me and i salt and pepper it after as im eating
it..i used to be a season adict alsways pushing the bounries but now i let
the meat speak for itsself.

I will say though that we had terrible beef until like 6 tears ago they
started selling angus and prime cuts.

used be a tbone steak was more bone then steak and flavorless...now a thing
of beauty.

KROM

"Susan" > wrote

> lately I've been getting great meat and just using a lot of fresh cracked
> pepper and kosher salt on good steaks.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
> Same..i simply put a few sprigs rosemary on top of the meat as i grill it
> and thats enough flavor for me and i salt and pepper it after as im
> eating it..i used to be a season adict alsways pushing the bounries but
> now i let the meat speak for itsself.
>
> I will say though that we had terrible beef until like 6 tears ago they
> started selling angus and prime cuts.
>
> used be a tbone steak was more bone then steak and flavorless...now a
> thing of beauty.
>
> KROM
>
> "Susan" > wrote
>
>> lately I've been getting great meat and just using a lot of fresh cracked
>> pepper and kosher salt on good steaks.

I have used Montreal Steak Seasoning, but we now use the Jack Daniels EZ
Marinade. We like the Mesquite one for our steaks on the grill. Haven't
tried on chicken yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
>> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>>> [ . . . ]
>>> For future reference. If you think you have put too much rub or salt on
>>> raw meat, just rinse it off. If it is a new spice combo or seasoning,
>>> take a taste on the tip of your finger to see if it is a high % of salt
>>> or other flavorings you don't like.

>> Rubs, dips and salsas should all get that taste test tuning before using.

> I used to make some stuffed Anaheim peppers back when I could eat cheese.
> The filling called for one or more jalapeno peppers. All of the males in
> my family like things as hot as they can possibly get. The store where I
> bought the jalapenos had only 2 that looked fresh. I bought those and as
> an afterthought also bought 3 serranos just in case. Well... All of
> those peppers were just weak! I added every pepper I had and you just
> couldn't taste the heat.

Try some labelled habaneros or Scotch bonnets, if you can find any.
Those are about as hot as you can get. To get any hotter, you need
to switch to pepper extracts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet_(pepper)

Robert Miles

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Rubs, dips and salsas should all get that taste test tuning before
>>> using.

>> I used to make some stuffed Anaheim peppers back when I could eat cheese.
>> The filling called for one or more jalapeno peppers. All of the males in
>> my family like things as hot as they can possibly get. The store where I
>> bought the jalapenos had only 2 that looked fresh. I bought those and as
>> an afterthought also bought 3 serranos just in case. Well... All of
>> those peppers were just weak! I added every pepper I had and you just
>> couldn't taste the heat.

> Try some labelled habaneros or Scotch bonnets, if you can find any.
> Those are about as hot as you can get. To get any hotter, you need
> to switch to pepper extracts.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_bonnet_(pepper)

I have seen those. My former neighbor told me to use Thai chilis.