Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Guacamole

I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture thing.
But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY likes
guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store. I can't
remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a cardboard
box. She said it was disgusting.

I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it with
salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind? What
do you put in yours/

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture thing.
> But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY likes
> guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store. I can't
> remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a cardboard
> box. She said it was disgusting.
>
> I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
> confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it with
> salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind? What
> do you put in yours/

Well, the mashed up *ripe* avocado is key. I would use chopped tomato
and onion, a clove of garlic (pressed, of course), some chopped jalapeño
slices, and a little lime juice. If I'm feeling lazy, I just mix the
mashed avocado with a little salsa.

I've had restaurant versions that are very smooth and even in texture,
and versions that are quite chunky. Ask her which she prefers.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture thing.
> But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY likes
> guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store. I can't
> remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a cardboard
> box. She said it was disgusting.
>
> I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
> confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it with
> salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind? What
> do you put in yours/

In Mexico guacamole is served on a plate. It consists of a pile of
mashed avocado, a pile of chopped sweet onion and a pile of chopped
fresh tomato. It's red, white and green like the Mexican flag. The lime
is always found on the table. You can also add your own salt.

When I make it at home, I mash the avocado, add some diced sweet onion
and some diced fresh tomato, a squeeze or two of lime juice and a little
salt.

Garlic is not traditional. Cilantro is a nice garnish, but, again, it's
not traditional. Salsa from a jar is verboten!

Too many Gringos try to "improve" on Mexican classics and make something
that is *not* Mexican or even border food.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture
>> thing.
>> But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY likes
>> guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store. I
>> can't
>> remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a cardboard
>> box. She said it was disgusting.
>>
>> I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
>> confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it with
>> salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind?
>> What
>> do you put in yours/

> Well, the mashed up *ripe* avocado is key. I would use chopped tomato
> and onion, a clove of garlic (pressed, of course), some chopped jalapeño
> slices, and a little lime juice. If I'm feeling lazy, I just mix the
> mashed avocado with a little salsa.
>
> I've had restaurant versions that are very smooth and even in texture,
> and versions that are quite chunky. Ask her which she prefers.

The stuff she has been getting (two different restaurants) has obvious
chunks of tomato in it, so I don't think it's all that smooth. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture
>> thing. But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY
>> likes guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store.
>> I can't remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a
>> cardboard box. She said it was disgusting.
>>
>> I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
>> confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it with
>> salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind?
>> What do you put in yours/

> In Mexico guacamole is served on a plate. It consists of a pile of mashed
> avocado, a pile of chopped sweet onion and a pile of chopped fresh tomato.
> It's red, white and green like the Mexican flag. The lime is always found
> on the table. You can also add your own salt.
>
> When I make it at home, I mash the avocado, add some diced sweet onion and
> some diced fresh tomato, a squeeze or two of lime juice and a little salt.
>
> Garlic is not traditional. Cilantro is a nice garnish, but, again, it's
> not traditional. Salsa from a jar is verboten!
>
> Too many Gringos try to "improve" on Mexican classics and make something
> that is *not* Mexican or even border food.

Okay. Thanks! The stuff she is getting is the real stuff. The restaurants
we eat at are family owned by Mexicans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> > I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture
> > thing.
> > But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY likes
> > guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store. I
> > can't
> > remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a cardboard
> > box. She said it was disgusting.
> >
> > I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
> > confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it with
> > salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind? What
> > do you put in yours/
> >

> In Mexico guacamole is served on a plate. It consists of a pile of
> mashed avocado, a pile of chopped sweet onion and a pile of chopped
> fresh tomato. It's red, white and green like the Mexican flag. The lime
> is always found on the table. You can also add your own salt.
>
> When I make it at home, I mash the avocado, add some diced sweet onion
> and some diced fresh tomato, a squeeze or two of lime juice and a little
> salt.
>
> Garlic is not traditional. Cilantro is a nice garnish, but, again, it's
> not traditional. Salsa from a jar is verboten!
>
> Too many Gringos try to "improve" on Mexican classics and make something
> that is *not* Mexican or even border food.

It's not a matter of "improving"; it's using what's available. I can't
get edible tomatoes in the winter, at least tomatoes that *I* consider
edible. So, I make do with what I *can* get.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
---BB cuts to the pith of a flame-fest
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>> > I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture
>> > thing.
>> > But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY likes
>> > guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store. I
>> > can't
>> > remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a
>> > cardboard
>> > box. She said it was disgusting.
>> >
>> > I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
>> > confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it
>> > with
>> > salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind?
>> > What
>> > do you put in yours/
>> >

>> In Mexico guacamole is served on a plate. It consists of a pile of
>> mashed avocado, a pile of chopped sweet onion and a pile of chopped
>> fresh tomato. It's red, white and green like the Mexican flag. The lime
>> is always found on the table. You can also add your own salt.
>>
>> When I make it at home, I mash the avocado, add some diced sweet onion
>> and some diced fresh tomato, a squeeze or two of lime juice and a little
>> salt.
>>
>> Garlic is not traditional. Cilantro is a nice garnish, but, again, it's
>> not traditional. Salsa from a jar is verboten!
>>
>> Too many Gringos try to "improve" on Mexican classics and make something
>> that is *not* Mexican or even border food.

> It's not a matter of "improving"; it's using what's available. I can't
> get edible tomatoes in the winter, at least tomatoes that *I* consider
> edible. So, I make do with what I *can* get.

Here the Roma tomatoes seem to be good year round. And usually the vine
ripened ones are equally good, although perhaps very expensive.

When it comes to Mexican food though, they do seem to Americanize it. A lot
of places serve things swimming in cheese and I've read that is not true
Mexican fare. I've also been told by one uncle who travels the world that
sour cream is not traditional in Mexico. I'm not so sure about that.

Also, in this country, Tex Mex is big in some places. It would seem that
people who like that kind of food don't really like real Mexican food.
Oddly, most of my friends who live in Texas do not like Tex Mex at all.

The same could be said for Chinese food. I always thought I didn't like it
because I'd only ever dined at Americanized places where everything pretty
much looks and tastes the same. Then I went for Dim Sum in a restaurant
where the waiters spoke very little English. Now I wouldn't say that I
liked everything I tried, but I did like a few of the dishes they had there.
But when I took my friends who claimed they liked Chinese food to this
place, they thought the food was horrible.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>>> I can not stand avocados or anything with them in it. It's a texture
>>> thing.
>>> But for some reason, Angela has recently decided that she REALLY likes
>>> guacamole. She wanted some at home so we bought some at the store. I
>>> can't
>>> remember the brand, but it was two plastic bags that came in a cardboard
>>> box. She said it was disgusting.
>>>
>>> I know it is easy to make at home but in looking up recipes, I became
>>> confused. Some were as easy as mashing up an avocado and mixing it with
>>> salsa and some were more complicated. So what kind is the good kind?
>>> What
>>> do you put in yours/

>> Well, the mashed up *ripe* avocado is key. I would use chopped tomato
>> and onion, a clove of garlic (pressed, of course), some chopped jalapeño
>> slices, and a little lime juice. If I'm feeling lazy, I just mix the
>> mashed avocado with a little salsa.
>>
>> I've had restaurant versions that are very smooth and even in texture,
>> and versions that are quite chunky. Ask her which she prefers.

> The stuff she has been getting (two different restaurants) has obvious
> chunks of tomato in it, so I don't think it's all that smooth. Thanks!

no, Julie

does Angela want the avocado mashed smooth? the salsa or diced tomatoed
and onions ARE bulky, but the Avocado can be mashed different ways
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message

>>> Well, the mashed up *ripe* avocado is key. I would use chopped tomato
>>> and onion, a clove of garlic (pressed, of course), some chopped jalapeño
>>> slices, and a little lime juice. If I'm feeling lazy, I just mix the
>>> mashed avocado with a little salsa.
>>>
>>> I've had restaurant versions that are very smooth and even in texture,
>>> and versions that are quite chunky. Ask her which she prefers.

>> The stuff she has been getting (two different restaurants) has obvious
>> chunks of tomato in it, so I don't think it's all that smooth. Thanks!

> no, Julie
>
> does Angela want the avocado mashed smooth? the salsa or diced tomatoed
> and onions ARE bulky, but the Avocado can be mashed different ways

Well, that I don't know. Maybe I'll buy all the stuff and let her make it
herself!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alice Faber > wrote:

> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:

> > Garlic is not traditional. Cilantro is a nice garnish, but, again, it's
> > not traditional. Salsa from a jar is verboten!
> >
> > Too many Gringos try to "improve" on Mexican classics and make something
> > that is *not* Mexican or even border food.

> It's not a matter of "improving"; it's using what's available. I can't
> get edible tomatoes in the winter, at least tomatoes that *I* consider
> edible. So, I make do with what I *can* get.

And what you like. I don't care what authentic guacamole has in it. I
like mashed avocados with garlic and lime or lemon, with a little salt.

I like cilantro in salsa, but my taste buds don't expect it in
guacamole. I like Trader Joe's guacamole a lot since it's so easy (just
buy it), although I think it may have a couple more ingredients.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> The stuff she has been getting (two different restaurants) has obvious
> >> chunks of tomato in it, so I don't think it's all that smooth. Thanks!

> > no, Julie
> >
> > does Angela want the avocado mashed smooth? the salsa or diced tomatoed
> > and onions ARE bulky, but the Avocado can be mashed different ways

> Well, that I don't know. Maybe I'll buy all the stuff and let her make it
> herself!

There you go. She's old enough to be making stuff herself.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> Alice Faber > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:

>> > Garlic is not traditional. Cilantro is a nice garnish, but, again, it's
>> > not traditional. Salsa from a jar is verboten!
>> >
>> > Too many Gringos try to "improve" on Mexican classics and make
>> > something
>> > that is *not* Mexican or even border food.

>> It's not a matter of "improving"; it's using what's available. I can't
>> get edible tomatoes in the winter, at least tomatoes that *I* consider
>> edible. So, I make do with what I *can* get.

> And what you like. I don't care what authentic guacamole has in it. I
> like mashed avocados with garlic and lime or lemon, with a little salt.
>
> I like cilantro in salsa, but my taste buds don't expect it in
> guacamole. I like Trader Joe's guacamole a lot since it's so easy (just
> buy it), although I think it may have a couple more ingredients.

Oooh! I will look for it there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> [ . . . ]
> > I like cilantro in salsa, but my taste buds don't expect it in
> > guacamole. I like Trader Joe's guacamole a lot since it's so easy
> > (just buy it), although I think it may have a couple more ingredients.

> Oooh! I will look for it there.

My daughter buys it there, too. I like it. It tastes like, well, guacamole!
My wife buys it at Vallarta Mexican market. Tastes the same.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Guacamole James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 23 28-02-2013 11:04 PM
Guacamole Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 13 18-12-2012 06:47 AM
Guacamole Janet Wilder[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 16-05-2008 03:41 AM
Guacamole Dip Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 05-07-2006 02:08 AM
Guacamole Charles Gifford Mexican Cooking 16 14-03-2005 04:14 PM