Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Party went well!

The girls had a blast! The food at the Embassy Suites in Lynnwood WA was
inexpensive (at least what we got) and everyone had a good time.

They had a manager's reception starting at 5:30 that included free drinks of
all kinds (including alcohol) and the food they put out was two huge
platters of assorted raw vegetables with Ranch dip, Chex party mix and
tricolored tortilla chips with salsa. I had some veggies and salsa and also
a few chips because I injected my insulin prior.

Was a bit upset at dinner to discover there were no hamburgers on the dinner
menu for adults. I did see some other options for me, but not really foods
that I liked. Husband asked and was told there was a burger on the bar menu
and we could order that. They did mess mine up by putting it on a bun with
a ton of mayo, but luckily a large lettuce leaf protected me from getting
any mayo on my meat. It came on a Kaiser roll. Not sure if those contain
egg or milk. I just pulled it off and luckily I didn't get sick from it.

All but one of the girls ate a ton of raw veggies before dinner and all but
Angela had a salad with their meal. One girl refused her fries. They all
seemed to know about what was and wasn't healthy food!

I should not have bothered to buy any cake! Husband was the only one who
ate any. Some of the girls had a bite of the gluten free brownies that I
made. They did all want room service so I sent out for ice cream for them
and they really only ate a few bites of that.

The breakfast this morning was free and VERY nice! There were pancakes,
scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage at one station. There was a
made to order omelet bar. Nobody went there so I don't know what all was
there. I didn't really look at all of that because I had only potatoes,
sausage and bacon. But I did see all kinds of fresh fruit, cold cereal (the
brands/types were labeled), muffins, pastries, bread and light yogurt.
There were also all kinds of beverages available.

I was really quite amazed at how much food some of the other kids packed
away at breakfast! Angela and I tend not to eat large breakfasts. She had
only some eggs, fruit and yogurt. She did take a few potatoes but didn't
like them! She did take extra eggs but the other girls kept going back
again and again!

Angela and I did bring some food for breakfast just in case, but we didn't
need to eat it.

All turned out well. BG was slightly raised before dinner (but for me
that's like a miracle) and was 94 before bed, despite my having a bite of
brownie and a few potato chips. But when I awoke it was 214. Still haven't
figured out why it is going so high then. *sigh*

It was a long day though! Husband invited the girls out to lunch and to go
to the driving range. I rather wish he hadn't because I think we had spent
enough on them, but... He did. We went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch.
I don't normally eat lunch so just had a couple of taquitos (theirs are very
small) and salsa. And now alas, I am going to have to find some place to go
out to eat dinner. I am out of food in the house (fresh stuff anyway) and
it's still beastly hot! I think today is the last of the worst of it. It's
still supposed to be about 10 degrees higher than normal for another week.