Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Fire & Ice

I'm heading for Fire & Ice tonight for a reunion gathering with a friend
I haven't seen for years. Several of his other friends, some of whom I
know but not all, will be there. John and I knew each other at church,
where we had a big sister / little brother relationship. It was he who
introduced me to science fiction fandom via Gaylaxians ("Out of the
closet and into the universe!") He left Boston for library school 20
years or so ago and then went to Houston to work in the public library
system there. Good guy and a lot of fun.

Anyway, I love Fire & Ice because I have so much control over what goes
into my meal. I can collect veggies and meats and select only a little
sauce. Then I can eat it without the rice or tortillas they provide,
although they are tempting.

For the uninitiated: You fill one bowl with ingredients off a huge
buffet of items (veggies, meat, fish, shellfish, fruit, noodles) and
another small bowl with the sauce you want, concocted from an array of
jugs of sauces, hot and not so hot. Then your ingredients are put on
the next free space on a huge metal sheet grill by one of the chefs and
tended while it rotates. He then tosses it with the sauce you provided
and scrapes it off onto a plate. Back at your table there are bowls of
steaming white rice and baskets of tortillas. I *think* you can go back
for more, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway, I love it.

This potentially diabetic-friendly restaurant review has been brought to
you by

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> I'm heading for Fire & Ice tonight for a reunion gathering with a friend
> I haven't seen for years. Several of his other friends, some of whom I
> know but not all, will be there. John and I knew each other at church,
> where we had a big sister / little brother relationship. It was he who
> introduced me to science fiction fandom via Gaylaxians ("Out of the
> closet and into the universe!") He left Boston for library school 20
> years or so ago and then went to Houston to work in the public library
> system there. Good guy and a lot of fun.
>
> Anyway, I love Fire & Ice because I have so much control over what goes
> into my meal. I can collect veggies and meats and select only a little
> sauce. Then I can eat it without the rice or tortillas they provide,
> although they are tempting.
>
> For the uninitiated: You fill one bowl with ingredients off a huge
> buffet of items (veggies, meat, fish, shellfish, fruit, noodles) and
> another small bowl with the sauce you want, concocted from an array of
> jugs of sauces, hot and not so hot. Then your ingredients are put on
> the next free space on a huge metal sheet grill by one of the chefs and
> tended while it rotates. He then tosses it with the sauce you provided
> and scrapes it off onto a plate. Back at your table there are bowls of
> steaming white rice and baskets of tortillas. I *think* you can go back
> for more, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway, I love it.
>
> This potentially diabetic-friendly restaurant review has been brought to
> you by
>
> PP

My DH likes the Mongolian Grills, too.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It's like a Mexican Mongolian BBQ's. I love Mongolian BBQ's. The first time
I tried one was back in the early 80's, Our NCO Club on base had one once a
month. I like the idea of choosing exactly what I want on my plate . There
is a place here called Panda House that does the Mongolian BBQ although they
call it stir fry.
Jacquie
"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> I'm heading for Fire & Ice tonight for a reunion gathering with a friend
> I haven't seen for years. Several of his other friends, some of whom I
> know but not all, will be there. John and I knew each other at church,
> where we had a big sister / little brother relationship. It was he who
> introduced me to science fiction fandom via Gaylaxians ("Out of the
> closet and into the universe!") He left Boston for library school 20
> years or so ago and then went to Houston to work in the public library
> system there. Good guy and a lot of fun.
>
> Anyway, I love Fire & Ice because I have so much control over what goes
> into my meal. I can collect veggies and meats and select only a little
> sauce. Then I can eat it without the rice or tortillas they provide,
> although they are tempting.
>
> For the uninitiated: You fill one bowl with ingredients off a huge
> buffet of items (veggies, meat, fish, shellfish, fruit, noodles) and
> another small bowl with the sauce you want, concocted from an array of
> jugs of sauces, hot and not so hot. Then your ingredients are put on
> the next free space on a huge metal sheet grill by one of the chefs and
> tended while it rotates. He then tosses it with the sauce you provided
> and scrapes it off onto a plate. Back at your table there are bowls of
> steaming white rice and baskets of tortillas. I *think* you can go back
> for more, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway, I love it.
>
> This potentially diabetic-friendly restaurant review has been brought to
> you by
>
> PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:54:53 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>I'm heading for Fire & Ice tonight for a reunion gathering with a friend
>I haven't seen for years. Several of his other friends, some of whom I
>know but not all, will be there. John and I knew each other at church,
>where we had a big sister / little brother relationship. It was he who
>introduced me to science fiction fandom via Gaylaxians ("Out of the
>closet and into the universe!") He left Boston for library school 20
>years or so ago and then went to Houston to work in the public library
>system there. Good guy and a lot of fun.
>
>Anyway, I love Fire & Ice because I have so much control over what goes
>into my meal. I can collect veggies and meats and select only a little
>sauce. Then I can eat it without the rice or tortillas they provide,
>although they are tempting.
>
>For the uninitiated: You fill one bowl with ingredients off a huge
>buffet of items (veggies, meat, fish, shellfish, fruit, noodles) and
>another small bowl with the sauce you want, concocted from an array of
>jugs of sauces, hot and not so hot. Then your ingredients are put on
>the next free space on a huge metal sheet grill by one of the chefs and
>tended while it rotates. He then tosses it with the sauce you provided
>and scrapes it off onto a plate. Back at your table there are bowls of
>steaming white rice and baskets of tortillas. I *think* you can go back
>for more, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway, I love it.
>
>This potentially diabetic-friendly restaurant review has been brought to
>you by
>
>PP

I hope you enjoyed it.

I used to go to a little Mongolian restaurant in Frankston, Melbourne
which was similar but less complex.

We collected the ingredients in a similar way, but the choices were
chinese-style veges (bean shoots, bak-choi, capsicum etc) and shaved
(very thin slices) meats. There were instructions in a notice on the
wall and a history of the method. Apparently the shaved meats were a
result of the Mongolian technique of keeping the meat frozen, buried
in the frozen tundra, and scraping a little off the end of the chunk
of meat with their knives as needed. We had a choice of four sauces
and you were advised to add a scoop of water to the bowl.

The chef stood at a waist-high flat circular hot-plate, about a meter
(3'6") diameter, with a raging gas fire under it. The area was closed
off, surrounded by a glass wall with a serving hatch through it. Each
bowl was passed, one at a time, through the hatch to the chef. He had
two oversize chopsticks in one hand; he would toss the ingredients in
the bowl on the hot-plate, move them around with the chopsticks in a
cloud of steam for about 30 seconds then he would use the chopsticks
to collect it all in the centre and then, holding the bowl about a
foot away from the edge of the circle, he would use the chopsticks to
sweep the lot across the hot-plate and into the bowl.

It was spectacular to watch; even though he was pretty accurate the
floor gradually started to look like a Jackson Pollock painting with
the misses.

The price was set, we could go back for as many repeats as we wished.

Unfortunately, the restaurant disappeared a while ago; a pity, it was
very popular and I've never seen another like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Alan S > wrote:

> I hope you enjoyed it.

We had a wonderful time. The food was good, but the companionship and
conversation were what really shone. Old friends can be the best!

> I used to go to a little Mongolian restaurant in Frankston, Melbourne
> which was similar but less complex.
>
> We collected the ingredients in a similar way, but the choices were
> chinese-style veges (bean shoots, bak-choi, capsicum etc) and shaved
> (very thin slices) meats. There were instructions in a notice on the
> wall and a history of the method. Apparently the shaved meats were a
> result of the Mongolian technique of keeping the meat frozen, buried
> in the frozen tundra, and scraping a little off the end of the chunk
> of meat with their knives as needed. We had a choice of four sauces
> and you were advised to add a scoop of water to the bowl.
>
> The chef stood at a waist-high flat circular hot-plate, about a meter
> (3'6") diameter, with a raging gas fire under it. The area was closed
> off, surrounded by a glass wall with a serving hatch through it. Each
> bowl was passed, one at a time, through the hatch to the chef. He had
> two oversize chopsticks in one hand; he would toss the ingredients in
> the bowl on the hot-plate, move them around with the chopsticks in a
> cloud of steam for about 30 seconds then he would use the chopsticks
> to collect it all in the centre and then, holding the bowl about a
> foot away from the edge of the circle, he would use the chopsticks to
> sweep the lot across the hot-plate and into the bowl.
>
> It was spectacular to watch; even though he was pretty accurate the
> floor gradually started to look like a Jackson Pollock painting with
> the misses.
>
> The price was set, we could go back for as many repeats as we wished.
>
> Unfortunately, the restaurant disappeared a while ago; a pity, it was
> very popular and I've never seen another like it.

Yes, very like. Sounds good!

Priscilla

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"Jacquie" > wrote:

> It's like a Mexican Mongolian BBQ's.

Why Mexican? Oh, the tortillas? Well, call them bao bing and it's
Chinese! ;-)

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> I'm heading for Fire & Ice tonight for a reunion gathering with a friend
> I haven't seen for years. Several of his other friends, some of whom I
> know but not all, will be there. John and I knew each other at church,
> where we had a big sister / little brother relationship. It was he who
> introduced me to science fiction fandom via Gaylaxians ("Out of the
> closet and into the universe!") He left Boston for library school 20
> years or so ago and then went to Houston to work in the public library
> system there. Good guy and a lot of fun.
>
> Anyway, I love Fire & Ice because I have so much control over what goes
> into my meal. I can collect veggies and meats and select only a little
> sauce. Then I can eat it without the rice or tortillas they provide,
> although they are tempting.
>
> For the uninitiated: You fill one bowl with ingredients off a huge
> buffet of items (veggies, meat, fish, shellfish, fruit, noodles) and
> another small bowl with the sauce you want, concocted from an array of
> jugs of sauces, hot and not so hot. Then your ingredients are put on
> the next free space on a huge metal sheet grill by one of the chefs and
> tended while it rotates. He then tosses it with the sauce you provided
> and scrapes it off onto a plate. Back at your table there are bowls of
> steaming white rice and baskets of tortillas. I *think* you can go back
> for more, but I don't remember exactly. Anyway, I love it.
>
> This potentially diabetic-friendly restaurant review has been brought to
> you by
>
> PP

Sounds a lot like one I used to go to in Raleigh, North Carolina, years
before I was diagnosed. That one had a smaller grill, though; only room
to cook one meal at a time.

Robert Miles

Fire Down Below Adam General Cooking 1 06-07-2007 07:52 PM
Ship's Tour Of My Universe To Begin - Call To Arms! Duty Stations! Fire When Ready! Cease Fire Procola! Pt III/III Robert Peffers. Preserving 0 03-04-2007 12:57 PM
Now THAT'S a Fire!! Ray Barbecue 4 01-06-2006 06:23 PM
GW Cat Set On Fire [email protected] Vegan 54 05-04-2005 03:53 PM
Cat Set On Fire [email protected] Vegan 1 25-03-2005 09:40 PM