Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Classico Organic Pasta Sauce

Has anyone seen this? I bought a three pack at Costco for about the same
price (maybe less, can't remember) that I normally pay for the Amy's. I
love Amy's but it is sooo expensive. Not sure why. The price went waaay up
some time back.

Anyway... I checked two more times at Costco but they didn't have any.
They had non-organic. It was cheap but due to the soybean oil, I won't buy
it.

I like the sauce not only because it's organic and tastes good but it's low
in carbs for a pasta sauce. Costco (and other places) also sell Muir Glenn
but it has a really awful flavor to it IMO.

I am wondering if this is something made specially for Costco? I checked
one other store and they didn't stock it. The guy who does the ordering at
my health food store said he would look for it but thought that brand is
sold mainly at the larger stores because of the way it is distributed. He
also said with organic foods, they often have a limited supply and once
they've processed all of those organic tomatoes, there are no more.

So has anyone seen this anywhere? Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Has anyone seen this? I bought a three pack at Costco for about the same
> price (maybe less, can't remember) that I normally pay for the Amy's. I
> love Amy's but it is sooo expensive. Not sure why. The price went waaay
> up some time back.
>
> Anyway... I checked two more times at Costco but they didn't have any.
> They had non-organic. It was cheap but due to the soybean oil, I won't
> buy it.
>
> I like the sauce not only because it's organic and tastes good but it's
> low in carbs for a pasta sauce. Costco (and other places) also sell Muir
> Glenn but it has a really awful flavor to it IMO.
>
> I am wondering if this is something made specially for Costco? I checked
> one other store and they didn't stock it. The guy who does the ordering
> at my health food store said he would look for it but thought that brand
> is sold mainly at the larger stores because of the way it is distributed.
> He also said with organic foods, they often have a limited supply and once
> they've processed all of those organic tomatoes, there are no more.
>
> So has anyone seen this anywhere? Thanks!

They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't like
it as much as Prego.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't
> like it as much as Prego.

There is some reason we don't buy Prego. I can't remember what. Most
likely would be an allergen or too high in carbs. But I will look for it.

No Sam's near here unfortunately.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't
>> like it as much as Prego.

> There is some reason we don't buy Prego. I can't remember what. Most
> likely would be an allergen or too high in carbs. But I will look for it.
>
> No Sam's near here unfortunately.

I think it may have some small amount of HFCS or sugar in it. I am able
to tolerate it OK, but of course what I put it on is more of concern to me
than the sauce!

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>>
>>> They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't
>>> like it as much as Prego.

>> There is some reason we don't buy Prego. I can't remember what. Most
>> likely would be an allergen or too high in carbs. But I will look for
>> it.
>>
>> No Sam's near here unfortunately.

> I think it may have some small amount of HFCS or sugar in it. I am able
> to tolerate it OK, but of course what I put it on is more of concern to me
> than the sauce!

Oh... If it's HFCS then that's why I won't buy unit. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > Has anyone seen this? I bought a three pack at Costco for about the
> > same price (maybe less, can't remember) that I normally pay for the
> > Amy's. I love Amy's but it is sooo expensive. Not sure why. The
> > price went waaay up some time back.
> >
> > Anyway... I checked two more times at Costco but they didn't have any.
> > They had non-organic. It was cheap but due to the soybean oil, I won't
> > buy it.
> >
> > I like the sauce not only because it's organic and tastes good but it's
> > low in carbs for a pasta sauce. Costco (and other places) also sell
> > Muir Glenn but it has a really awful flavor to it IMO.
> >
> > I am wondering if this is something made specially for Costco? I
> > checked one other store and they didn't stock it. The guy who does the
> > ordering at my health food store said he would look for it but thought
> > that brand is sold mainly at the larger stores because of the way it is
> > distributed. He also said with organic foods, they often have a limited
> > supply and once they've processed all of those organic tomatoes, there
> > are no more.
> >
> > So has anyone seen this anywhere? Thanks!

> They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't
> like it as much as Prego.

My daughter buys the "Organic Vodka Sauce" at Trader Joe's. It's quite
tasty and we all like it (although I prefer Jun's homemade). 1/2 cup: 90
calories, fat 4 g (1 sat, 0 trans), cholesterol <5 mg, sodium 600 mg, carbs
12g, including 2g fiber, protein 3 g. Ingr: Tomatoes, tomato puree, sweet
whey, olive oil, onions, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, lemon juice, basil
and oregano; all organic.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> > Has anyone seen this? I bought a three pack at Costco for about the
>> > same price (maybe less, can't remember) that I normally pay for the
>> > Amy's. I love Amy's but it is sooo expensive. Not sure why. The
>> > price went waaay up some time back.
>> >
>> > Anyway... I checked two more times at Costco but they didn't have any.
>> > They had non-organic. It was cheap but due to the soybean oil, I won't
>> > buy it.
>> >
>> > I like the sauce not only because it's organic and tastes good but it's
>> > low in carbs for a pasta sauce. Costco (and other places) also sell
>> > Muir Glenn but it has a really awful flavor to it IMO.
>> >
>> > I am wondering if this is something made specially for Costco? I
>> > checked one other store and they didn't stock it. The guy who does the
>> > ordering at my health food store said he would look for it but thought
>> > that brand is sold mainly at the larger stores because of the way it is
>> > distributed. He also said with organic foods, they often have a limited
>> > supply and once they've processed all of those organic tomatoes, there
>> > are no more.
>> >
>> > So has anyone seen this anywhere? Thanks!

>> They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't
>> like it as much as Prego.

> My daughter buys the "Organic Vodka Sauce" at Trader Joe's. It's quite
> tasty and we all like it (although I prefer Jun's homemade). 1/2 cup: 90
> calories, fat 4 g (1 sat, 0 trans), cholesterol <5 mg, sodium 600 mg,
> carbs
> 12g, including 2g fiber, protein 3 g. Ingr: Tomatoes, tomato puree, sweet
> whey, olive oil, onions, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, lemon juice, basil
> and oregano; all organic.

I have bought the Pomodoro sauce in a can from Trader Joe's. Not for a long
time though. I pretty much quit buying from them when most of their stuff
was labeled with "shared lines" or "may contain" things that we are allergic
to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> > Has anyone seen this? I bought a three pack at Costco for about the
>> > same price (maybe less, can't remember) that I normally pay for the
>> > Amy's. I love Amy's but it is sooo expensive. Not sure why. The
>> > price went waaay up some time back.
>> >
>> > Anyway... I checked two more times at Costco but they didn't have any.
>> > They had non-organic. It was cheap but due to the soybean oil, I won't
>> > buy it.
>> >
>> > I like the sauce not only because it's organic and tastes good but it's
>> > low in carbs for a pasta sauce. Costco (and other places) also sell
>> > Muir Glenn but it has a really awful flavor to it IMO.
>> >
>> > I am wondering if this is something made specially for Costco? I
>> > checked one other store and they didn't stock it. The guy who does the
>> > ordering at my health food store said he would look for it but thought
>> > that brand is sold mainly at the larger stores because of the way it is
>> > distributed. He also said with organic foods, they often have a limited
>> > supply and once they've processed all of those organic tomatoes, there
>> > are no more.
>> >
>> > So has anyone seen this anywhere? Thanks!

>> They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't
>> like it as much as Prego.

> My daughter buys the "Organic Vodka Sauce" at Trader Joe's. It's quite
> tasty and we all like it (although I prefer Jun's homemade). 1/2 cup: 90
> calories, fat 4 g (1 sat, 0 trans), cholesterol <5 mg, sodium 600 mg,
> carbs
> 12g, including 2g fiber, protein 3 g. Ingr: Tomatoes, tomato puree, sweet
> whey, olive oil, onions, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, lemon juice, basil
> and oregano; all organic.

Trader Joes stuff is always good. But we don't have one nearby. There is
a store that is sort of like a mini-whole foods market, and they have a home
made sauce that is out of this world. When I use jarred sauce that is the
one I get. But I used Prego for years before that, and it was always
pretty good. I might add that I don't drench the food with it, so the
higher carb isn't really a problem for me.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
> "Evelyn" > wrote:
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > > Has anyone seen this? I bought a three pack at Costco for about the
> > > same price (maybe less, can't remember) that I normally pay for the
> > > Amy's. I love Amy's but it is sooo expensive. Not sure why. The
> > > price went waaay up some time back.
> > >
> > > Anyway... I checked two more times at Costco but they didn't have
> > > any. They had non-organic. It was cheap but due to the soybean oil,
> > > I won't buy it.
> > >
> > > I like the sauce not only because it's organic and tastes good but
> > > it's low in carbs for a pasta sauce. Costco (and other places) also
> > > sell Muir Glenn but it has a really awful flavor to it IMO.
> > >
> > > I am wondering if this is something made specially for Costco? I
> > > checked one other store and they didn't stock it. The guy who does
> > > the ordering at my health food store said he would look for it but
> > > thought that brand is sold mainly at the larger stores because of the
> > > way it is distributed. He also said with organic foods, they often
> > > have a limited supply and once they've processed all of those organic
> > > tomatoes, there are no more.
> > >
> > > So has anyone seen this anywhere? Thanks!

> > They also sell it at Sam's. It is a decent tasting sauce, but I don't
> > like it as much as Prego.

> My daughter buys the "Organic Vodka Sauce" at Trader Joe's. It's quite
> tasty and we all like it (although I prefer Jun's homemade). 1/2 cup: 90
> calories, fat 4 g (1 sat, 0 trans), cholesterol <5 mg, sodium 600 mg,
> carbs 12g, including 2g fiber, protein 3 g. Ingr: Tomatoes, tomato puree,
> sweet whey, olive oil, onions, parmesan cheese, salt, garlic, lemon
> juice, basil and oregano; all organic.

Whoops! Also includes organic Vodka.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>i always just make my own sauce its so easy..put tomatos and onion and
>herbs into blender..blend it..then in a pot heat olive oil and add red
>pepper flakes then garlic then add in blender stuff..salt and pepper to
>taste and let it simmer...if you like it sweet a few drops liquid splenda
>is good.
>
> takes me five mins to make...rest time is it simmering till i think it
> tastes good.

I make my own sometimes, but most of the time I need something really quick.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 06:02:52 -0500, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
>>i always just make my own sauce its so easy..put tomatos and onion and
>>herbs
>>into blender..blend it..then in a pot heat olive oil and add red pepper
>>flakes then garlic then add in blender stuff..salt and pepper to taste and
>>let it simmer...if you like it sweet a few drops liquid splenda is good.
>>
>>takes me five mins to make...rest time is it simmering till i think it
>>tastes good.
>>
>>KROM

> It's probably just personal taste, but I prefer to cook the
> onions in the olive oil first; just a touch of
> cartamelisation. Then add the garlic and cook that. Then add
> the tomatoes, herbs etc, and let it all simmer for quite a
> long time until that moment when an orange oil seems to
> appear around the edges at the surface.
>
> That change is very clear when it happens; the red sauce has
> a different character when that faint orange sheen appears.
>
> It seems to taste different after that. I've never heard or
> read of that change in properties being discussed by chefs
> on TV or in books, just something I noticed myself.

I had an Italian roommate who cooked all of her vegetables (except for the
tomatoes) and herbs in oil first.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> "krom" > wrote:
>
> >i always just make my own sauce its so easy..put tomatos and onion and
> >herbs into blender..blend it..then in a pot heat olive oil and add red
> >pepper flakes then garlic then add in blender stuff..salt and pepper to
> >taste and let it simmer...if you like it sweet a few drops liquid
> >splenda is good.
> >
> >takes me five mins to make...rest time is it simmering till i think it
> >tastes good.

> It's probably just personal taste, but I prefer to cook the
> onions in the olive oil first; just a touch of
> caramelisation. Then add the garlic and cook that. Then add
> the tomatoes, herbs etc, and let it all simmer for quite a
> long time until that moment when an orange oil seems to
> appear around the edges at the surface.

That's what I've found to work best, too, Alan. I'll add pre-cooked
mushrooms (if any) with the tomatoes.

> That change is very clear when it happens; the red sauce has
> a different character when that faint orange sheen appears.
>
> It seems to taste different after that. I've never heard or
> read of that change in properties being discussed by chefs
> on TV or in books, just something I noticed myself.

I never thought of that. I always thought it was the olive oil separating
out. Like when mayo or Hollandaise breaks (but much tastier). ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message
> > "krom" > wrote:
> >
> >>i always just make my own sauce its so easy..put tomatos and onion and
> >>herbs
> >>into blender..blend it..then in a pot heat olive oil and add red pepper
> >>flakes then garlic then add in blender stuff..salt and pepper to taste
> >>and let it simmer...if you like it sweet a few drops liquid splenda is
> >>good.
> >>
> >>takes me five mins to make...rest time is it simmering till i think it
> >>tastes good.

> > It's probably just personal taste, but I prefer to cook the
> > onions in the olive oil first; just a touch of
> > cartamelisation. Then add the garlic and cook that. Then add
> > the tomatoes, herbs etc, and let it all simmer for quite a
> > long time until that moment when an orange oil seems to
> > appear around the edges at the surface.
> >
> > That change is very clear when it happens; the red sauce has
> > a different character when that faint orange sheen appears.
> >
> > It seems to taste different after that. I've never heard or
> > read of that change in properties being discussed by chefs
> > on TV or in books, just something I noticed myself.

> I had an Italian roommate who cooked all of her vegetables (except for
> the tomatoes) and herbs in oil first.

Not in the part of Sicily my Grandfather came from!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>> > It's probably just personal taste, but I prefer to cook the
>> > onions in the olive oil first; just a touch of
>> > cartamelisation. Then add the garlic and cook that. Then add
>> > the tomatoes, herbs etc, and let it all simmer for quite a
>> > long time until that moment when an orange oil seems to
>> > appear around the edges at the surface.
>> >
>> > That change is very clear when it happens; the red sauce has
>> > a different character when that faint orange sheen appears.
>> >
>> > It seems to taste different after that. I've never heard or
>> > read of that change in properties being discussed by chefs
>> > on TV or in books, just something I noticed myself.

>> I had an Italian roommate who cooked all of her vegetables (except for
>> the tomatoes) and herbs in oil first.

> Not in the part of Sicily my Grandfather came from!

She was from Northern Italy. But I should also say she was not a good cook.
When she invited her boyfriend over to dinner, he would only come if I was
cooking.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:43:12 +1000, Alan S
> wrote:

>It seems to taste different after that. I've never heard or
>read of that change in properties being discussed by chefs
>on TV or in books, just something I noticed myself.

It's also the moment when long-simmered curries are ready. I've no
idea what the mechanism is - but you're quite right, it's important!
And it can't be the oil itself separating, Nick, because it happens
with butter, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil in my
experience.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

isnt that why you add vodka to a sauce to speed that process up?

i think if memory servs its the moment when theres enough water gone to
allow all the items in the pot to release thier oils together..

adding vodka or wine speed up the process and of course alcohol activates
certain flavors in tomatos..forget the name for that.

KROM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:43:12 +1000, Alan S
> > wrote:
>
>>It seems to taste different after that. I've never heard or
>>read of that change in properties being discussed by chefs
>>on TV or in books, just something I noticed myself.

> It's also the moment when long-simmered curries are ready. I've no
> idea what the mechanism is - but you're quite right, it's important!
> And it can't be the oil itself separating, Nick, because it happens
> with butter, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil in my
> experience.
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]
> >> I had an Italian roommate who cooked all of her vegetables (except for
> >> the tomatoes) and herbs in oil first.

> > Not in the part of Sicily my Grandfather came from!

> She was from Northern Italy. But I should also say she was not a good
> cook. When she invited her boyfriend over to dinner, he would only come
> if I was cooking.

You have confirmed both of my suspicions. Thanks, Julie. ;-)

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:43:12 +1000, Alan S
> > wrote:
>
> >It seems to taste different after that. I've never heard or
> >read of that change in properties being discussed by chefs
> >on TV or in books, just something I noticed myself.

> It's also the moment when long-simmered curries are ready. I've no
> idea what the mechanism is - but you're quite right, it's important!
> And it can't be the oil itself separating, Nick, because it happens
> with butter, ghee, olive oil, coconut oil and sunflower oil in my
> experience.

Those are all oils, n'est-ce pas, mon amie?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:11:24 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>isnt that why you add vodka to a sauce to speed that process up?
>
>i think if memory servs its the moment when theres enough water gone to
>allow all the items in the pot to release thier oils together..
>
>adding vodka or wine speed up the process and of course alcohol activates
>certain flavors in tomatos..forget the name for that.

Huh - you learn something every day - thanks

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12 Jun 2009 08:03:22 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>Those are all oils, n'est-ce pas, mon amie?

My bad, Nick - I thought you meant separating into fractions, rather
than separating from the sauce.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

interesting thread on it can be found he

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/312341

KROM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:11:24 -0500, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
>>isnt that why you add vodka to a sauce to speed that process up?
>>
>>i think if memory servs its the moment when theres enough water gone to
>>allow all the items in the pot to release thier oils together..
>>
>>adding vodka or wine speed up the process and of course alcohol activates
>>certain flavors in tomatos..forget the name for that.

> Huh - you learn something every day - thanks
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 150ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 10:26:39 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>interesting thread on it can be found he
>
>http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/312341

That's scary, Krom - that thread includes posts by my baby nephew! I
wondered where he was getting his info from

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 150ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.2% BMI 26
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >Those are all oils, n'est-ce pas, mon amie?

> My bad, Nick - I thought you meant separating into fractions, rather
> than separating from the sauce.

Wie man hört, geliebte!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote:
> interesting thread on it can be found he
>
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/312341

> "Nicky" > wrote in message

> >>isnt that why you add vodka to a sauce to speed that process up?
> >> [ . . . ]

Good thread. Thanks, Krom.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.diabetic