Default Thank you! (Pasta sauce)

Hi everyone,
I read the [entire] faq and I hope only posting a thank you won't be
considered OT (?) I printed all your pasta suggestions and went through
each one to find the suggestions that most people gave, then I looked
at what I had and what I liked and at the end I threw in a bunch of
stuff that had been mentioned (ok in a little bit of a panic) and my
pasta was absolutely delicious!! Everyone loved it!! I was going to ask
for a basic cookbook title since I already have Better Homes and
Garden. The problem I have with cooking (and cookbooks) is that it
never tastes that great. I can follow a recipe but I don't know what to
add beyond that that makes it really good (like your pasta sauce
suggestions.) So with your permission I think I'll start reading here
more often and hopefully you won't mind a question now and then...
Thanks so much!!

Mr Libido Incognito

wrote on 10 Sep 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> Hi everyone,
> I read the [entire] faq and I hope only posting a thank you won't be
> considered OT (?) I printed all your pasta suggestions and went through
> each one to find the suggestions that most people gave, then I looked
> at what I had and what I liked and at the end I threw in a bunch of
> stuff that had been mentioned (ok in a little bit of a panic) and my
> pasta was absolutely delicious!! Everyone loved it!! I was going to ask
> for a basic cookbook title since I already have Better Homes and
> Garden. The problem I have with cooking (and cookbooks) is that it
> never tastes that great. I can follow a recipe but I don't know what to
> add beyond that that makes it really good (like your pasta sauce
> suggestions.) So with your permission I think I'll start reading here
> more often and hopefully you won't mind a question now and then...
> Thanks so much!!

Also consider searching the web for recipes...get 4 or 5 recipes for a
similar thing and pick and choose thru those...It works a treat. You will
also gain a better idea of what works with what.

Look for other uses for the sauce or dip in a good recipe...I have a dill
sauce...from a baked salmon recipe that's a wonderful veggie dip as well.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Phred

In article >, wrote:
wrote:

>> Hi everyone,

>> I was going to ask
>> for a basic cookbook title since I already have Better Homes and
>> Garden.

>Here are 3 of my favourites, the recipes never fail to turn out
>delicious.
>
>Rodale's Natural Foods Cook Book

FWIW, Google gives quite a few hits for the above book -- but under
the actual title: "Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook".
(Oh, and several say "by Charles Gerras", but I suspect those that say
"Edited by ..." are more accurate.)

For details of current prices ["From $5.48"], availability, go to:
<
http://www.amazon.
com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1567310443/104-5669454-3879969?v=glance>

[ Or try going this way: <http://tinyurl.com/97rl6> ]

If you "mouse-over" the image on that page you'll get options to
browse bits of the book such as the Contents pages and the Index.
(If you keep clicking "Next page" you *may* get to read the whole
book, but I didn't try that beyond the Contents pages.

>Ada Boni's The Talisman Italian Cook Book
>
>Leah Wolf's Jewish Cookery
>
>Of the 3 i would recommend the Rodale as it goes into technique and
>cooking methods as well as having a lot of very interesting and unusual
>recipes covering all aspect of cooking
>
>The other 2 are very good but presuppose a familiarity with the kitchen
>and cooking traditions involved. The Rodale on the other hand could be
>considered a text book for learning how to cook. I would recommend a
>text called "Practical cookery" but it is English, and an actual text
>book for an English guild cooking school and hard to find but very
>detailed and very good if it can be found.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Joseph Littleshoes

Phred wrote:

> >> Hi everyone,

> >> I was going to ask
> >> for a basic cookbook title since I already have Better Homes and
> >> Garden.

> >Here are 3 of my favourites, the recipes never fail to turn out
> >delicious.
> >
> >Rodale's Natural Foods Cook Book

> FWIW, Google gives quite a few hits for the above book -- but under
> the actual title: "Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook".
> (Oh, and several say "by Charles Gerras", but I suspect those that say
>
> "Edited by ..." are more accurate.)

Glancing over my shoulder (and striving mightily to not 'laugh up my
sleeve) i notice a tea cup sitting on the cover of my Rodale, obscuring
the word "basic" in the Title. Earlier today, when i made my original
contribution, i did not take the tea cup into consideration. My
apologizes for my obvious incompetence. I should be formally band from
ever posting again!---
JL

p.s. Phread:

Im taking your notice of it as and endorsement.

Ted Campanelli

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:

The basic "secret" to a good pasta sauce is the amount of time spent
simmering it - the longer the better. I usually simmer my sauce for a
minimum of 3 hours.

Think about this for a moment. If you have ever had left over lasagna
or a baked ziti, the sauce tastes better because it is reheated and the
flavors blend together more. Another plus to a long simmering is that
it greatly reduces the amount of acidity from the tomatoes.

> Hi everyone,
> I read the [entire] faq and I hope only posting a thank you won't be
> considered OT (?) I printed all your pasta suggestions and went through
> each one to find the suggestions that most people gave, then I looked
> at what I had and what I liked and at the end I threw in a bunch of
> stuff that had been mentioned (ok in a little bit of a panic) and my
> pasta was absolutely delicious!! Everyone loved it!! I was going to ask
> for a basic cookbook title since I already have Better Homes and
> Garden. The problem I have with cooking (and cookbooks) is that it
> never tastes that great. I can follow a recipe but I don't know what to
> add beyond that that makes it really good (like your pasta sauce
> suggestions.) So with your permission I think I'll start reading here
> more often and hopefully you won't mind a question now and then...
> Thanks so much!!

Dimitri

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi everyone,
> I read the [entire] faq and I hope only posting a thank you won't be
> considered OT (?) I printed all your pasta suggestions and went through
> each one to find the suggestions that most people gave, then I looked
> at what I had and what I liked and at the end I threw in a bunch of
> stuff that had been mentioned (ok in a little bit of a panic) and my
> pasta was absolutely delicious!! Everyone loved it!! I was going to ask
> for a basic cookbook title since I already have Better Homes and
> Garden. The problem I have with cooking (and cookbooks) is that it
> never tastes that great. I can follow a recipe but I don't know what to
> add beyond that that makes it really good (like your pasta sauce
> suggestions.)

There is no such thing as great - Great is a subjective thing that you have just
experienced. When you said "Everybody loved it!!", that's the definition of
great

So with your permission I think I'll start reading here
> more often and hopefully you won't mind a question now and then...

You do not need anyone's permission - this form is for everyone and anyone.
Enjoy.

As far as cookbooks are concerned - Joy of Cooking is one of the "bibles" one
should have as a reference book. No need to buy one new if you have any used
book stores around. It is a very hood all around book. The Way To Cook by
Julkia child is also a very good primer.

Dimitri