Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Use for Chinese Sesame ShechwanSauce

tonight , for the first time in some 13 eears we sent out for chinese food
after a hard day visiting doctors, getting a shot in the
back(sacroiliac-steroid) and travelling on 4 busses with my folding
chariot(it builds strong arms hauling it off and on the bus). Well, we
have had chinese take out occasionally, but not those shechwan dumplings
with hot oil seame sauce, the kind I used to love, hot on noodles. The
taste of that sauce in m mouth is haunting me and I am tring to figure,
not the recipe for the sauce, which I have in a couple of cookbooks-mostly
peanut butter or sesame paste(tahini?) scallions, hot oil, sesame oil,
etc- but what would be not carby and good to use them on. I was thinking
of chcken but mam not sure. Any bright ideas out there in "watch the
carbs" land? Why do I think that susan and/or Nick will have some ideas?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 02:00:30 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
wrote:

>Well, we
>have had chinese take out occasionally, but not those shechwan dumplings
>with hot oil seame sauce, the kind I used to love, hot on noodles. The
>taste of that sauce in m mouth is haunting me and I am tring to figure,
>not the recipe for the sauce, which I have in a couple of cookbooks-mostly
>peanut butter or sesame paste(tahini?) scallions, hot oil, sesame oil,
>etc- but what would be not carby and good to use them on. I was thinking
>of chcken but mam not sure. Any bright ideas out there in "watch the
>carbs" land?

Mmmm! It would be gorgeous on chicken! My tastebuds went round a baby
spinach salad, with warm grilled chicken, and the sauce sprinkled over
it... good with chicken kebabs, too, which is how I usually make it; I
marinade the kebabs in lemon and coriander leaves, brush with olive
oil and grill them, then pour the sauce over. I'll use cabbage
"noodles", or maybe Dreamfields. I'll also sprinkle a few drops of
sesame oil over anything that could do with that particular dark,
nutty taste; it goes rancid quite quickly, so I try and use a bottle
up within a month.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i ate some over shrimp today..well not that exact sauce but one made with
peanut butter..seasame...chili oil and some soy sauce...was good.
i didnt have any noodle or anything with it tho as these were shell on
shrimp and i just wanted em to have the asian flavor as i peeled and ate
them.

KROM

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> tonight , for the first time in some 13 eears we sent out for chinese food
> after a hard day visiting doctors, getting a shot in the
> back(sacroiliac-steroid) and travelling on 4 busses with my folding
> chariot(it builds strong arms hauling it off and on the bus). Well, we
> have had chinese take out occasionally, but not those shechwan dumplings
> with hot oil seame sauce, the kind I used to love, hot on noodles. The
> taste of that sauce in m mouth is haunting me and I am tring to figure,
> not the recipe for the sauce, which I have in a couple of cookbooks-mostly
> peanut butter or sesame paste(tahini?) scallions, hot oil, sesame oil,
> etc- but what would be not carby and good to use them on. I was thinking
> of chcken but mam not sure. Any bright ideas out there in "watch the
> carbs" land? Why do I think that susan and/or Nick will have some ideas?
>
> Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> tonight , for the first time in some 13 years we sent out for chinese
> food after a hard day visiting doctors, getting a shot in the
> back(sacroiliac-steroid) and travelling on 4 busses with my folding
> chariot(it builds strong arms hauling it off and on the bus). Well, we
> have had chinese take out occasionally, but not those shechuan dumplings
> with hot oil sesame sauce, the kind I used to love, hot on noodles. The
> taste of that sauce in my mouth is haunting me and I am trying to figure,
> not the recipe for the sauce, which I have in a couple of
> cookbooks-mostly peanut butter or sesame paste(tahini?) scallions, hot
> oil, sesame oil, etc- but what would be not carby and good to use them
> on. I was thinking of chicken but am not sure. Any bright ideas out
> there in "watch the carbs" land? Why do I think that susan and/or Nick
> will have some ideas?

I'm not sure what I can offer, Wendy. My recipes are basically Thai. You
can peruse my wife's cookbook at
http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm, but most of them aren't low
carb. You'd have to do what Jun does for me, modify them. Post or email me
if I'm denser than usual. ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

[...]

That chicken salad sounds great as do the kebabs. Both look like keepers
to me. also thanks for the noodle suggestions from susan et al.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer wrote:
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>> tonight , for the first time in some 13 years we sent out for chinese
>> food after a hard day visiting doctors, getting a shot in the
>> back(sacroiliac-steroid) and travelling on 4 busses with my folding
>> chariot(it builds strong arms hauling it off and on the bus). Well, we
>> have had chinese take out occasionally, but not those shechuan dumplings
>> with hot oil sesame sauce, the kind I used to love, hot on noodles. The
>> taste of that sauce in my mouth is haunting me and I am trying to figure,
>> not the recipe for the sauce, which I have in a couple of
>> cookbooks-mostly peanut butter or sesame paste(tahini?) scallions, hot
>> oil, sesame oil, etc- but what would be not carby and good to use them
>> on. I was thinking of chicken but am not sure. Any bright ideas out
>> there in "watch the carbs" land? Why do I think that susan and/or Nick
>> will have some ideas?

> I'm not sure what I can offer, Wendy. My recipes are basically Thai. You
> can peruse my wife's cookbook at
> http://sqwertzme.googlepages.com/JunThai.htm, but most of them aren't low
> carb. You'd have to do what Jun does for me, modify them. Post or email me
> if I'm denser than usual. ;-)

I should have posted this sooner:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cold Oriental Noodles with Peanut Sauce

serves 2

3 ounces Dreamfield's Spaghetti
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut butter -- creamy
4 teaspoons soy sauce -- low sodium
1 tablespoon sherry
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend -- firmly packed
1 teaspoon garlic -- finely minced
1 teaspoon ginger root -- minced
1 pinch crushed red pepper -- or to taste
1/2 cucumber -- peeled and sliced
2 scallions -- thinly sliced

Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and rinse
under cold water. Drain very well again. With your hands, toss the
noodles with half of the sesame oil. Cover and chill until ready to
combine with the peanut sauce, or up to 24 hours.

To make the peanut sauce, combine the remaining sesame oil with all the
other ingredients except the cucumber and scallion. Beat until well
mixed. The sauce can be kept in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 24
hours before serving.

Just before serving, gently toss the noodles with the sauce, cucumbers and
half the scallions. Garnish with the remaining scallions.

Cuisine:
"Chinese"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

oooh..i bet that will be good warm with diced chicken breast..i am gonna
try that this week..today making chili so gotta wait..plus i got no ginger
or sherry..the rest i got...so will pick up what i dont like monday or
whenever the chili runs out..lol

KROM

"Janet Wilder" > wrote

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cold Oriental Noodles with Peanut Sauce
>
> serves 2

> 3 ounces Dreamfield's Spaghetti
> 1 tablespoon sesame oil
> 2 tablespoons peanut butter -- creamy
> 4 teaspoons soy sauce -- low sodium
> 1 tablespoon sherry
> 1 tablespoon water
> 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
> 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
> 1 teaspoon Splenda brown sugar blend -- firmly packed
> 1 teaspoon garlic -- finely minced
> 1 teaspoon ginger root -- minced
> 1 pinch crushed red pepper -- or to taste
> 1/2 cucumber -- peeled and sliced
> 2 scallions -- thinly sliced
>
> Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and rinse under
> cold water. Drain very well again. With your hands, toss the noodles with
> half of the sesame oil. Cover and chill until ready to combine with the
> peanut sauce, or up to 24 hours.
>
> To make the peanut sauce, combine the remaining sesame oil with all the
> other ingredients except the cucumber and scallion. Beat until well
> mixed. The sauce can be kept in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 24
> hours before serving.
>
> Just before serving, gently toss the noodles with the sauce, cucumbers
> and
> half the scallions. Garnish with the remaining scallions.
>
> Cuisine:
> "Chinese"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >> [ . . . ]

> Cold Oriental Noodles with Peanut Sauce

Thanks, Jaye. That's something we can work with. ;-)

I support them at https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 02:00:30 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker" >
> wrote:
>
>>Well, we
>>have had chinese take out occasionally, but not those shechwan dumplings
>>with hot oil seame sauce, the kind I used to love, hot on noodles. The
>>taste of that sauce in m mouth is haunting me and I am tring to figure,
>>not the recipe for the sauce, which I have in a couple of cookbooks-mostly
>>peanut butter or sesame paste(tahini?) scallions, hot oil, sesame oil,
>>etc- but what would be not carby and good to use them on. I was thinking
>>of chcken but mam not sure. Any bright ideas out there in "watch the
>>carbs" land?

> Mmmm! It would be gorgeous on chicken! My tastebuds went round a baby
> spinach salad, with warm grilled chicken, and the sauce sprinkled over
> it... good with chicken kebabs, too, which is how I usually make it; I
> marinade the kebabs in lemon and coriander leaves, brush with olive
> oil and grill them, then pour the sauce over. I'll use cabbage
> "noodles", or maybe Dreamfields. I'll also sprinkle a few drops of
> sesame oil over anything that could do with that particular dark,
> nutty taste; it goes rancid quite quickly, so I try and use a bottle
> up within a month.
>
> Nicky.

..
Does keeping the sesame oil in the refrigerator extend its life without
making it too thick to use? When I was using a different oil with a
short lifespan, that worked for me.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:42:04 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> wrote:

>Does keeping the sesame oil in the refrigerator extend its life without
>making it too thick to use? When I was using a different oil with a
>short lifespan, that worked for me.

Haven't tried it, but that sounds like a workable tip, thanks, Robert.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.3% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:42:04 -0600, "Robert Miles"
> > wrote:
>
>>Does keeping the sesame oil in the refrigerator extend its life without
>>making it too thick to use? When I was using a different oil with a
>>short lifespan, that worked for me.

> Haven't tried it, but that sounds like a workable tip, thanks, Robert.

Yes, I am going to move my bottle of roasted sesame oil to the fridge right
away! I had to throw out the old one because it went rancid tasting. I
don't use it often enough.

Best Regards,
Evelyn

Rest in a sky-like mind.
Sit like a mountain floating on the earth.
Breathe like the wind circling the world