Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Christmas pudding

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:56:46 +0000, Nicky >
wrote:

LOL - let me try again : )

We do Christmas pud on Boxing Day, after the turkey and ham salad.
This year I made one, as well as buying one. The one I made was lower
carb - I don't think you can do _low_ carb, but this one was delicious
- much nicer than the bought one - and a good serve didn't twitch my
bg. (The glass of wine might have had something to do with it, as
might the walk afterwards...)

This is the original, with my alterations:

Ingredients

* 50g breadcrumbs - I used flaxbread - Jalapeno flavour, actually,
as I had some on hand!
* 50g soft dark brown sugar - erythritol/Splenda mix, with a tsp
of molasses for colour
* 75g vegetable suet - butter
* 1 tsp mixed spice
* 50g self raising flour - I left this as is
* 200g sultanas - apricots
* 175g vine fruit mix - prunes
* 125g currants - left this out
* 25g mixed peel - left this out
* 50g blanched almonds, chopped - next year I'll double this, it
could have done with more nuts
* 2 eggs
* 150 ml brown ale - didn't have any, used ginger wine
* 2 tbsp rum - brandy
* grated zest 1 orange

Instructions

1. In a large mixing bowl stir together the breadcrumbs, sugar,
suet, mixed spice and self raising flour. Now add the dried fruits,
almonds and mixed peel, mix thoroughly.
2. Beat together the eggs, brown ale and rum and add this to the
bowl along with the orange zest. Mix thoroughly, this is the point at
which traditionally the family would take it in turn to stir the
pudding and make a wish. Now set to one side in a cool place, covered
with a clean tea towel, for up to 12 hours.
3. Lightly butter the pudding basin and line the base with a disc
of greaseproof paper. Pack the mixture into the prepared basin and
level the top with the back of a spoon. Cover with a double sheet of
greaseproof paper and then a piece of foil, securing it all in place
by tying securely with string under the lip of the basin.
4. Place the pudding in a large saucepan and add boiling water to
come halfway up the side of the basin. Bring back to the boil, then
reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
5. Cook like this for 3 hours, topping up with boiling water as
necessary, the pan must never boil dry. Remove the basin from the pan
and leave to cool, then remove the greaseproof paper and foil and
replace with fresh paper and foil. Store in a cool, dark place until
ready to cook.
6. To serve – Cook in the same way as before, for 3 hours, then
turn out onto a warmed serving plate, remove the greaseproof disc and
cut into slices.

Yum : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:

[...]

Am I correct in my reading that thiscooks a total of 6 hours in two 3 our
shifts with a cooldown inbetween?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:53:04 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Am I correct in my reading that thiscooks a total of 6 hours in two 3 our
>shifts with a cooldown inbetween?

Yes. Traditionally the cool-down lasts several months, with the cook
feeding the pud with brandy or similar every day or so. Mine had a
week's maturing; the longer you leave it, the darker and richer the
pud.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Christmas pudding is done...... PeterLucas[_4_] General Cooking 24 06-12-2007 07:50 PM
Christmas Pudding International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 05-12-2005 02:43 AM
Christmas Pudding Duckie ® Recipes 0 09-10-2005 03:51 PM
Christmas Plum Pudding luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 24-12-2003 10:49 PM
Christmas Pudding Alex General Cooking 11 16-12-2003 07:17 AM