Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best meatballs ever

krom wrote:
> i like grated onion in my meatloaf and hamburgers so i will
> deffinately make mine grated.

My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.

She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh, very ripe
tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them so special!)
Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and flour. She rolled them in
flour as well before frying them gently over a gas flame in a cast iron
frying pan and dripping.

The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell you just
how divine those meatballs were!
If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and cooked them
til just before they browned on the outside then would heat them up gently
in a gas oven.

Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in the
family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions My
daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them for friends
with just salad and they all raved and took home the recipe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> i like grated onion in my meatloaf and hamburgers so i will
>> deffinately make mine grated.

> My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.
>
> She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh, very
> ripe tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them so
> special!) Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and flour. She
> rolled them in flour as well before frying them gently over a gas flame in
> a cast iron frying pan and dripping.
>
> The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell you
> just how divine those meatballs were!
> If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and cooked
> them til just before they browned on the outside then would heat them up
> gently in a gas oven.
>
> Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in the
> family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions My
> daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them for friends
> with just salad and they all raved and took home the recipe

Ozgirl, have you got the exact quantities? I might like to try those too.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

"Be wise, treat yourself, your mind, sympathetically, with loving kindness.
If you are gentle with yourself, you will become gentle with
hers." --Lama Thubten Yeshe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if you live in the desert fine eat vegimite..but if your in a lush area
eww..lol..veggimite to me is like eating medicine..lol

KROM

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> i like grated onion in my meatloaf and hamburgers so i will
>> deffinately make mine grated.

> My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.
>
> She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh, very
> ripe tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them so
> special!) Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and flour. She
> rolled them in flour as well before frying them gently over a gas flame in
> a cast iron frying pan and dripping.
>
> The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell you
> just how divine those meatballs were!
> If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and cooked
> them til just before they browned on the outside then would heat them up
> gently in a gas oven.
>
> Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in the
> family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions My
> daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them for friends
> with just salad and they all raved and took home the recipe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 06:13:32 -0500, "krom"
> wrote:

>if you live in the desert fine eat vegimite..but if your in a lush area
>eww..lol..veggimite to me is like eating medicine..lol
>
>KROM

That's OK; we're happy to retain it for our own use...:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> krom wrote:
>>> i like grated onion in my meatloaf and hamburgers so i will
>>> deffinately make mine grated.

>> My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.
>>
>> She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh,
>> very ripe tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them
>> so special!) Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and
>> flour. She rolled them in flour as well before frying them gently
>> over a gas flame in a cast iron frying pan and dripping.
>>
>> The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell
>> you just how divine those meatballs were!
>> If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and
>> cooked them til just before they browned on the outside then would
>> heat them up gently in a gas oven.
>>
>> Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in
>> the family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions
>> My daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them
>> for friends with just salad and they all raved and took home the
>> recipe

> Ozgirl, have you got the exact quantities? I might like to try
> those too.

Lol, now you ask a lot I am one of those toss in a bit of this and that
type cook

Ok, let's say a pound of beef. Toss in a finely chopped onion, 1 large
chopped, ripe (squishy) tomato, 1 egg depending on size - 2 if they are
small, about 1 heaped dessertspoon Vegemite, a slurp of Worcestershire
sauce.. and enough flour to keep it all together. Add about 1 teaspoon of
salt and squelch it all together with your hands and taste it. Yes, taste
that raw mix Make the balls the size you want and roll in flour and cook
in whatever fat floats your boat, lol. They are also nice with some curry
powder added. Nothing fancy, just curry powder like our grandmas used to
use. Best cooked on a medium heat and not overdone. Even with the flour I
don't find they cause any blips on the bg radar. YMMV.

Oh, I tried canned, crushed tomatoes (drained) once - it didn't work.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 06:13:32 -0500, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
>> if you live in the desert fine eat vegimite..but if your in a lush
>> area eww..lol..veggimite to me is like eating medicine..lol

A medicine one enjoys eating

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Evelyn wrote:
>>>

>>> My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.
>>>
>>> She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh,
>>> very ripe tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them
>>> so special!) Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and
>>> flour. She rolled them in flour as well before frying them gently
>>> over a gas flame in a cast iron frying pan and dripping.
>>>
>>> The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell
>>> you just how divine those meatballs were!
>>> If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and
>>> cooked them til just before they browned on the outside then would
>>> heat them up gently in a gas oven.
>>>
>>> Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in
>>> the family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions
>>> My daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them
>>> for friends with just salad and they all raved and took home the
>>> recipe

>> Ozgirl, have you got the exact quantities? I might like to try
>> those too.

> Lol, now you ask a lot I am one of those toss in a bit of this and that
> type cook
>
> Ok, let's say a pound of beef. Toss in a finely chopped onion, 1 large
> chopped, ripe (squishy) tomato, 1 egg depending on size - 2 if they are
> small, about 1 heaped dessertspoon Vegemite, a slurp of Worcestershire
> sauce.. and enough flour to keep it all together. Add about 1 teaspoon
> of salt and squelch it all together with your hands and taste it. Yes,
> taste that raw mix Make the balls the size you want and roll in flour
> and cook in whatever fat floats your boat, lol. They are also nice with
> some curry powder added. Nothing fancy, just curry powder like our
> grandmas used to use. Best cooked on a medium heat and not overdone. Even
> with the flour I don't find they cause any blips on the bg radar. YMMV.
>
> Oh, I tried canned, crushed tomatoes (drained) once - it didn't work.

Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it is
available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.

--
Best Regards,
Evelyn

"Be wise, treat yourself, your mind, sympathetically, with loving kindness.
If you are gentle with yourself, you will become gentle with
hers." --Lama Thubten Yeshe

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:18:26 -0400, "Evelyn" >
wrote:

>Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it is
>available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.

Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 23:53:10 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Evelyn wrote:
>>>

>>> My first mother in law made the most divine meat balls.
>>>
>>> She made them from beef with finely chopped onion, chopped fresh,
>>> very ripe tomatoes, vegemite (lol, that was what actually made them
>>> so special!) Worcestershire sauce, bit of salt, beaten egg and
>>> flour. She rolled them in flour as well before frying them gently
>>> over a gas flame in a cast iron frying pan and dripping.
>>>
>>> The dripping was poured off and gravy made in the pan. I can't tell
>>> you just how divine those meatballs were!
>>> If she was making them for a party she made them bite-sized and
>>> cooked them til just before they browned on the outside then would
>>> heat them up gently in a gas oven.
>>>
>>> Sadly she is 93 and doesn't cook anymore, the newer generations in
>>> the family only hear about these meatballs now at family functions
>>> My daughter recently asked me for the recipe and she cooked them
>>> for friends with just salad and they all raved and took home the
>>> recipe

>> Ozgirl, have you got the exact quantities? I might like to try
>> those too.

>Lol, now you ask a lot I am one of those toss in a bit of this and that
>type cook
>
>Ok, let's say a pound of beef. Toss in a finely chopped onion, 1 large
>chopped, ripe (squishy) tomato, 1 egg depending on size - 2 if they are
>small, about 1 heaped dessertspoon Vegemite, a slurp of Worcestershire
>sauce.. and enough flour to keep it all together. Add about 1 teaspoon of
>salt and squelch it all together with your hands and taste it. Yes, taste
>that raw mix Make the balls the size you want and roll in flour and cook
>in whatever fat floats your boat, lol. They are also nice with some curry
>powder added. Nothing fancy, just curry powder like our grandmas used to
>use. Best cooked on a medium heat and not overdone. Even with the flour I
>don't find they cause any blips on the bg radar. YMMV.
>
>Oh, I tried canned, crushed tomatoes (drained) once - it didn't work.

I might try this; however, I'm surprised you need any
additonal salt considering the salt content of the Vegemite.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 06:13:32 -0500, "krom"
> > wrote:
>
>>if you live in the desert fine eat vegimite..but if your in a lush area
>>eww..lol..veggimite to me is like eating medicine..lol
>>
>>KROM

> That's OK; we're happy to retain it for our own use...:-)
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.

I am an Ozzie , but far prefer 'Promite' myself..It is softer and has a
little bit of sweetness to off set the slight bitterness that I dislike in
'Vegemite...I haven't used either one for adding as an ingredient to a
recipe....I just love hot toast and a nice amount of 'Promite' plastered
on..:-)

Bigbazza (Barry)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ack!
we must not lose her to the crazed aussies!!!

come back towards the light eve!

Here have a nice peanutbutter sandwhich!

KROM

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:18:26 -0400, "Evelyn" >
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it
>>is
>>available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.

> Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

krom wrote:
> Ack!
> we must not lose her to the crazed aussies!!!
>
> come back towards the light eve!
>
> Here have a nice peanutbutter sandwhich!
>
> KROM

Does it have HFCS in it ?

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 10:18:26 -0400, "Evelyn" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Ozgirl, now I have to try and hunt up some vegemite :-) Maybe it
>>> is
>>> available somewhere either in a local store or by mail.

>> Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!
>>
>> Nicky.
>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

no just good ol yummy goodness!

KROM

"RodS" > wrote in message
> krom wrote:
>> Ack!
>> we must not lose her to the crazed aussies!!!
>>
>> come back towards the light eve!
>>
>> Here have a nice peanutbutter sandwhich!
>>
>> KROM

> Does it have HFCS in it ?
>

>> "Nicky" > wrote in message

>>> Nooooo! Evelyn, don't do it!
>>>
>>> Nicky.
>>> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
>>> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
>>> Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

What to do with these Meatballs? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 52 29-10-2016 05:36 PM
The Best Meatballs Ever Kat[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 21-11-2007 10:11 PM
Meatballs notbob General Cooking 24 21-01-2006 03:37 PM
Tonight's dinner: REC: Swedish Meatballs (Smorgasbord Meatballs) Mash General Cooking 0 31-03-2005 03:53 AM
Meatballs John Gaughan General Cooking 8 07-10-2003 04:08 PM