Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best Microwave?

Once again, I had to get another microwave. My first one was an off brand.
It had no bells and whistles. Not even a light inside. But it lasted many
years. I finally got rid of it because it had rusted inside. I didn't know
that you are supposed to leave the door open after cooking to dry it out.
Oops! And now I found another thing I didn't know.

I remember reading that you are not supposed to open the door while the oven
is on. I couldn't understand this because the oven shuts off when you open
the door. It's a safety thing. However... If you do this too many times,
you burn out the safety switch which is exactly what I think happened to
this last one. My husband has the tendency to put something in there then
take it out before the time is up. I can always tell when he used it
because there will be time left on there. I have made this mistake myself
in thinking something is done and opening the door to check it.

According to what I read last night on various sites on the Internet, you
are supposed to shut off the microwave each and every time you open the door
to prevent this switch from breaking. Why they didn't just make the door
lock so this can't happen, I don't know. Unless perhaps this would pose an
additional safety feature.

Last night my husband tried to make some oatmeal and the microwave wouldn't
heat at all. All of the other features worked, so I must assume our switch
just burned out. It was a mid-sized GE that I paid about $80 for. Had it
for about 21 months.

My prior microwave was a larger GE that had a problem with sparking and then
the little thing on the side (can't remember the name of the part) burned
out. But prior, I had a GE for several years which led me to believe they
were a good brand.

Had a Samsung that lasted for about 2 months before it began smoking and
sparking and I feared to use it again.

I believe I recall from my days at working at K Mart, the Sharp brand is
purported to be very good. Alas, I could not find any of this brand in the
brick and mortar stores. I think my timing was just off. Normally at back
to school time you can get a good deal on the Sharp Half Pint, although that
might be a bit small for my needs.

Lowes has quite a few new ones listed on their website but they are not yet
available in the store. Grrr... They did have one Sharp listed on their
website, but it was a full sized one and I fear that would take up too room
in the built in slot I have for it. Plus they didn't seem to have it at the
store. Only the display model.

So... I wound up getting the same GE that just went bad. It was either
that or a slightly larger one with more bells and whistles. But I tend to
prefer the more simple things.

At any rate... If you have a microwave that you like... What brand is it?
My expectations are not high for this GE and I want to keep my eyes peeled
for a replacement before I need it and get a good one. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote in message ...

>So... I wound up getting the same GE that just went bad. It was

either
>that or a slightly larger one with more bells and whistles. But I

tend to
>prefer the more simple things.
>
>At any rate... If you have a microwave that you like... What brand

is it?
>My expectations are not high for this GE and I want to keep my eyes

peeled
>for a replacement before I need it and get a good one. Thanks!

I have a Sharp. It's the second Sharp I've had. I bought it at Lowe's
about 6 months ago. For myself, I like the features on the Sharps. I
did have a Norelco before them which did literally last for years, but
I bought that when Microwaves were fairly new on the market, so I
think the newer ones are a lot cheaper and not really built to last
that well.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message

> I have a Sharp. It's the second Sharp I've had. I bought it at Lowe's
> about 6 months ago. For myself, I like the features on the Sharps. I
> did have a Norelco before them which did literally last for years, but
> I bought that when Microwaves were fairly new on the market, so I
> think the newer ones are a lot cheaper and not really built to last
> that well.

Thanks! I think I might keep looking to see if I can find a Sharp midsize.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote in message ...

>"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
>

>> I have a Sharp. It's the second Sharp I've had. I bought it at

Lowe's
>> about 6 months ago. For myself, I like the features on the Sharps.

>> did have a Norelco before them which did literally last for years,

but
>> I bought that when Microwaves were fairly new on the market, so I
>> think the newer ones are a lot cheaper and not really built to last
>> that well.

>Thanks! I think I might keep looking to see if I can find a Sharp

midsize.

Yes, I like the midsize best. The last one was a little larger, and I
don't like it as well. It seems too bulky to me, and really, I don't
need the large one for just the two of us.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

The best microwave I have ever had was a Goldstar...I got it at the BX and
it lasted for years. A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a Kenmore
and it is starting to act up all ready. If I could find a Goldstar that
would be my next one. I don't care if it has the bells and whistles but I do
want a movable plate...you know it goes in a circle.
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> back to school time you can get a good deal on the Sharp Half Pint,
> although that might be a bit small for my needs.
>
> Lowes has quite a few new ones listed on their website but they are not
> yet available in the store. Grrr... They did have one Sharp listed on
> their website, but it was a full sized one and I fear that would take up
> too room in the built in slot I have for it. Plus they didn't seem to
> have it at the store. Only the display model.
>
> So... I wound up getting the same GE that just went bad. It was either
> that or a slightly larger one with more bells and whistles. But I tend to
> prefer the more simple things.
>
> At any rate... If you have a microwave that you like... What brand is
> it? My expectations are not high for this GE and I want to keep my eyes
> peeled for a replacement before I need it and get a good one. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> [...]
> to school time you can get a good deal on the Sharp Half Pint, although that
> might be a bit small for my needs.
>
> Lowes has quite a few new ones listed on their website but they are not yet
> available in the store. Grrr... They did have one Sharp listed on their
> website, but it was a full sized one and I fear that would take up too room
> in the built in slot I have for it. Plus they didn't seem to have it at the
> store. Only the display model.
>
> So... I wound up getting the same GE that just went bad. It was either
> that or a slightly larger one with more bells and whistles. But I tend to
> prefer the more simple things.
>
> At any rate... If you have a microwave that you like... What brand is it?
> My expectations are not high for this GE and I want to keep my eyes peeled
> for a replacement before I need it and get a good one. Thanks!

in 1979, i bought an almond coloured Panasonic microwave

in 1988, i redid the kitchen, replacing the fridge/stove/dishwasher with
white finished surfaces, so i got the white Panasonic microwave at
that time

my brother used the almond Panasonic for 4 years while attending
university, and 6 years later when he bought his cabin, filled with
almond coloured appliances, i gave the the almond Panasonic.......... he
recently upgraded it simply because he wanted a larger model

obviously i think very highly of Panasonic microwaves (they have the
rotating turntable in them)

and yes, i wipe the microwave out with a paper towel, or hand towel
after every use.......... the turntable gets a swipe with the towel, or
it is put in the wash, depending on if the food splattered

we use a splatter shield on food in the microwave at all time! (heaven's
the splatter shields cost a $1)

good luck! hope you find what you want

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> The best microwave I have ever had was a Goldstar...I got it at the BX and
> it lasted for years. A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a Kenmore
> and it is starting to act up all ready. If I could find a Goldstar that
> would be my next one. I don't care if it has the bells and whistles but I
> do want a movable plate...you know it goes in a circle.

That's the brand my first one was! I had forgotten. Got it at K Mart and I
think it was on sale for $99 which at the time was cheap for a microwave.
Haven't seen that brand around in a while. Mine had no turntable so I
bought one that fit inside. It was very small, but I lived alone at the
time.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
> [...]

> in 1988, i redid the kitchen, replacing the fridge/stove/dishwasher with
> white finished surfaces, so i got the white Panasonic microwave at that
> time
>
> my brother used the almond Panasonic for 4 years while attending
> university, and 6 years later when he bought his cabin, filled with almond
> coloured appliances, i gave the the almond Panasonic.......... he recently
> upgraded it simply because he wanted a larger model
>
> obviously i think very highly of Panasonic microwaves (they have the
> rotating turntable in them)
>
> and yes, i wipe the microwave out with a paper towel, or hand towel after
> every use.......... the turntable gets a swipe with the towel, or it is
> put in the wash, depending on if the food splattered
>
> we use a splatter shield on food in the microwave at all time! (heaven's

That's good to know. Panasonic seem to cost a lot more, but I don't mind
paying more if it's good.

I don't have a splatter shield and you could just bet I could not get my
husband to use it if I did. He is constantly blowing stuff up in there and
I'm sure that doesn't help. I wipe mine out if I see that I spilled
something. When he is done, I have to heat a cup of water, let it steam and
then really scrub it out. By the time I find it, the stuff is dried in
there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> The best microwave I have ever had was a Goldstar...I got it at the BX and
>> it lasted for years. A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a Kenmore
>> and it is starting to act up all ready. If I could find a Goldstar that
>> would be my next one. I don't care if it has the bells and whistles but I
>> do want a movable plate...you know it goes in a circle.

> That's the brand my first one was! I had forgotten. Got it at K Mart and I
> think it was on sale for $99 which at the time was cheap for a microwave.
> Haven't seen that brand around in a while. Mine had no turntable so I
> bought one that fit inside. It was very small, but I lived alone at the
> time.

Lucky Goldstar is now LG electronics. I think I heard that here... :-)

I have a 1200W GE that I've had about 4 years and it has served me well
so far. Before that I had a Sanyo that we got as a wedding gift. It
lasted over 15 years.

Vicki
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"percy" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "jacquie" > wrote in message
>> m...
>>> The best microwave I have ever had was a Goldstar...I got it at the BX
>>> and it lasted for years. A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a
>>> Kenmore and it is starting to act up all ready. If I could find a
>>> Goldstar that would be my next one. I don't care if it has the bells and
>>> whistles but I do want a movable plate...you know it goes in a circle.

>> That's the brand my first one was! I had forgotten. Got it at K Mart
>> and I think it was on sale for $99 which at the time was cheap for a
>> microwave. Haven't seen that brand around in a while. Mine had no
>> turntable so I bought one that fit inside. It was very small, but I
>> lived alone at the time.

> Lucky Goldstar is now LG electronics. I think I heard that here... :-)
>
> I have a 1200W GE that I've had about 4 years and it has served me well so
> far. Before that I had a Sanyo that we got as a wedding gift. It lasted
> over 15 years.

Really? I didn't know Sanyo made microwaves. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

jacquie wrote:
> The best microwave I have ever had was a Goldstar...I got it at the BX and
> it lasted for years. A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a Kenmore
> and it is starting to act up all ready. If I could find a Goldstar that
> would be my next one. I don't care if it has the bells and whistles but I do
> want a movable plate...you know it goes in a circle.

GoldStar has changed their name to LG
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Larry Hazel" > wrote in message
> jacquie wrote:
>> The best microwave I have ever had was a Goldstar...I got it at the BX
>> and it lasted for years. A couple of years ago my daughter bought me a
>> Kenmore and it is starting to act up all ready. If I could find a
>> Goldstar that would be my next one. I don't care if it has the bells and
>> whistles but I do want a movable plate...you know it goes in a circle.
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> GoldStar has changed their name to LG

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> [...]
> back to school time you can get a good deal on the Sharp Half Pint,
> although that might be a bit small for my needs.
>
> Lowes has quite a few new ones listed on their website but they are not
> yet available in the store. Grrr... They did have one Sharp listed on
> their website, but it was a full sized one and I fear that would take up
> too room in the built in slot I have for it. Plus they didn't seem to
> have it at the store. Only the display model.
>
> So... I wound up getting the same GE that just went bad. It was either
> that or a slightly larger one with more bells and whistles. But I tend to
> prefer the more simple things.
>
> At any rate... If you have a microwave that you like... What brand is
> it? My expectations are not high for this GE and I want to keep my eyes
> peeled for a replacement before I need it and get a good one. Thanks!

I had a Panisonic MV that worked for 21 years. In fact it was still working
good when I replaced it, even the rotory glass tray was still working ok. I
replaced it because the door hinges were getting a little loose and the door
was not sealing as tight as before. I replaced it with another Panisonic.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"anon aka" > wrote in message

> I had a Panisonic MV that worked for 21 years. In fact it was still
> working good when I replaced it, even the rotory glass tray was still
> working ok. I replaced it because the door hinges were getting a little
> loose and the door was not sealing as tight as before. I replaced it with
> another Panisonic.

Wow! That's a really good track record!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:37:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"anon aka" > wrote in message
>

>> I had a Panisonic MV that worked for 21 years. In fact it was still
>> working good when I replaced it, even the rotory glass tray was still
>> working ok. I replaced it because the door hinges were getting a little
>> loose and the door was not sealing as tight as before. I replaced it with
>> another Panisonic.

>Wow! That's a really good track record!

I only recently replaced the Sharp I bought when we got our first
home, 20 or so years ago - the kitchen wasn't big enough for anything
else! It's still working too, I couldn't bear to throw it away, it's
in the loft.

I was amazed by how the tech's moved on, and the cost. I replaced it
with a combi oven that's rapidly become the oven/microwave/grill of
choice, with a much more powerful microwave than the original, and for
less money! And I love the ability to use all its functions at once.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 20:37:14 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"anon aka" > wrote in message
>>

>>> I had a Panisonic MV that worked for 21 years. In fact it was still
>>> working good when I replaced it, even the rotory glass tray was still
>>> working ok. I replaced it because the door hinges were getting a little
>>> loose and the door was not sealing as tight as before. I replaced it
>>> with
>>> another Panisonic.

>>Wow! That's a really good track record!

> I only recently replaced the Sharp I bought when we got our first
> home, 20 or so years ago - the kitchen wasn't big enough for anything
> else! It's still working too, I couldn't bear to throw it away, it's
> in the loft.
>
> I was amazed by how the tech's moved on, and the cost. I replaced it
> with a combi oven that's rapidly become the oven/microwave/grill of
> choice, with a much more powerful microwave than the original, and for
> less money! And I love the ability to use all its functions at once.

I saw those multi-function ones but I doubt I would use the other features.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 00:41:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Nicky" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I was amazed by how the tech's moved on, and the cost. I replaced it
>> with a combi oven that's rapidly become the oven/microwave/grill of
>> choice, with a much more powerful microwave than the original, and for
>> less money! And I love the ability to use all its functions at once.

>I saw those multi-function ones but I doubt I would use the other features.

It's easier - and cheaper - to wind up the little oven than the big
one, if I'm only cooking for one or two, or even just to get a bit of
room. The oven/grill combos are great to cook, e.g., chops quickly.
The preset functions are good if the kids want to cook themselves
chips, or if I need to defrost meat. I expected not to use them -
after all, my last microwave had nothing so sophisticated! - but I
wouldn't be without them now.

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 00:41:30 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Nicky" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I was amazed by how the tech's moved on, and the cost. I replaced it
>>> with a combi oven that's rapidly become the oven/microwave/grill of
>>> choice, with a much more powerful microwave than the original, and for
>>> less money! And I love the ability to use all its functions at once.

>>I saw those multi-function ones but I doubt I would use the other
>>features.
>>

> It's easier - and cheaper - to wind up the little oven than the big
> one, if I'm only cooking for one or two, or even just to get a bit of
> room. The oven/grill combos are great to cook, e.g., chops quickly.
> The preset functions are good if the kids want to cook themselves
> chips, or if I need to defrost meat. I expected not to use them -
> after all, my last microwave had nothing so sophisticated! - but I
> wouldn't be without them now.

We don't eat grilled foods and I rarely ever use the oven.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "anon aka" > wrote in message
>
>> I had a Panisonic MV that worked for 21 years. In fact it was still
>> working good when I replaced it, even the rotory glass tray was still
>> working ok. I replaced it because the door hinges were getting a little
>> loose and the door was not sealing as tight as before. I replaced it with
>> another Panisonic.

> Wow! That's a really good track record!

it's consistent with my experience with the Panasonic microwaves as well

i bought mine in 1979 and my brother was using it still last year......

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> "anon aka" > wrote in message
>>
>>> I had a Panisonic MV that worked for 21 years. In fact it was still
>>> working good when I replaced it, even the rotory glass tray was still
>>> working ok. I replaced it because the door hinges were getting a little
>>> loose and the door was not sealing as tight as before. I replaced it
>>> with another Panisonic.

>> Wow! That's a really good track record!

> it's consistent with my experience with the Panasonic microwaves as well
>
> i bought mine in 1979 and my brother was using it still last year......

I haven't seen any in the stores but I will keep looking. We had a
Panasonic in the men's lounge when I worked at K Mart and I think it lasted
for many years with constant use.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Wow! That's a really good track record!

>> it's consistent with my experience with the Panasonic microwaves as well
>>
>> i bought mine in 1979 and my brother was using it still last year......

> I haven't seen any in the stores but I will keep looking. We had a
> Panasonic in the men's lounge when I worked at K Mart and I think it lasted
> for many years with constant use.

http://www.buzzillions.com/429489378..._ovens_reviews

this listing on Craig's list is 3 hours old.......

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/hsh/829041187.html

--
kate
type 1 since 1987
www.diabetic-chat.org
www.diabetic-talk.org
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/n...diagnosed.html
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger_Lily" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> it's consistent with my experience with the Panasonic microwaves as well
>>>
>>> i bought mine in 1979 and my brother was using it still last year......

>> I haven't seen any in the stores but I will keep looking. We had a
>> Panasonic in the men's lounge when I worked at K Mart and I think it
>> lasted for many years with constant use.

> http://www.buzzillions.com/429489378..._ovens_reviews
>
> this listing on Craig's list is 3 hours old.......
>
> http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/hsh/829041187.html

Thanks! I don't do Craigslist. I'm not about to go driving somewhere for a
used thing.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
>

>> I have a Sharp. It's the second Sharp I've had. I bought it at Lowe's
>> about 6 months ago. For myself, I like the features on the Sharps. I
>> did have a Norelco before them which did literally last for years, but
>> I bought that when Microwaves were fairly new on the market, so I
>> think the newer ones are a lot cheaper and not really built to last
>> that well.

> Thanks! I think I might keep looking to see if I can find a Sharp
> midsize.

I know this is posted to an old message, but I can see your later posts,
Julie.....

Just wanted to say.... My late wife and I bought a 'Sharp' all S.Steel
inside.... It was what is now labeled as a 42-43" size.... We bought it back
in May 1978, and it still works as fine today.... The only repair that has
had to be done on it was one that I caused myself by putting a wet news
paper in to dry... I left it far too long and it caught fire inside...I had
to replace the light globe and a buckled piece of metal that (I think)
served as some ventilation....Never any other hiccups with it in 30 years...

I waited for it to give up for some years so I could buy a new 'Convection'
microwave, but it just has never given up..I still use it now, with another
one still in my kitchen, made by 'Sharp'..... It failed after approx 12-18
months and so I sent it out for repair...Costly!.... After about another
year, it gave up permanently..... Microtron (?) appears to have given up on
it...I can't be bothered to have it fixed as a new 'Microtron' would be very
costly...

The Prices....... No1..(1978) $998

No2..(around 2002-2003) $990....

Bigbazza (Barry)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> wrote in message
>>

>>> I have a Sharp. It's the second Sharp I've had. I bought it at Lowe's
>>> about 6 months ago. For myself, I like the features on the Sharps. I
>>> did have a Norelco before them which did literally last for years, but
>>> I bought that when Microwaves were fairly new on the market, so I
>>> think the newer ones are a lot cheaper and not really built to last
>>> that well.

>> Thanks! I think I might keep looking to see if I can find a Sharp
>> midsize.
>>

> I know this is posted to an old message, but I can see your later posts,
> Julie.....
>
> Just wanted to say.... My late wife and I bought a 'Sharp' all S.Steel
> inside.... It was what is now labeled as a 42-43" size.... We bought it
> back in May 1978, and it still works as fine today.... The only repair
> that has had to be done on it was one that I caused myself by putting a
> wet news paper in to dry... I left it far too long and it caught fire
> inside...I had to replace the light globe and a buckled piece of metal
> that (I think) served as some ventilation....Never any other hiccups with
> it in 30 years...
>
> I waited for it to give up for some years so I could buy a new
> 'Convection' microwave, but it just has never given up..I still use it
> now, with another one still in my kitchen, made by 'Sharp'..... It failed
> after approx 12-18 months and so I sent it out for repair...Costly!....
> After about another year, it gave up permanently..... Microtron (?)
> appears to have given up on it...I can't be bothered to have it fixed as a
> new 'Microtron' would be very costly...
>
> The Prices....... No1..(1978) $998
>
> No2..(around 2002-2003) $990....
>
> Bigbazza (Barry)

Wow! That's a lot of money for a microwave!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks! I think I might keep looking to see if I can find a Sharp
>>> midsize.
>>>

>> I know this is posted to an old message, but I can see your later posts,
>> Julie.....
>>
>> Just wanted to say.... My late wife and I bought a 'Sharp' all S.Steel
>> inside.... It was what is now labeled as a 42-43" size.... We bought it
>> back in May 1978, and it still works as fine today.... The only repair
>> that has had to be done on it was one that I caused myself by putting a
>> wet news paper in to dry... I left it far too long and it caught fire
>> inside...I had to replace the light globe and a buckled piece of metal
>> that (I think) served as some ventilation....Never any other hiccups with
>> it in 30 years...
>>
>> I waited for it to give up for some years so I could buy a new
>> 'Convection' microwave, but it just has never given up..I still use it
>> now, with another one still in my kitchen, made by 'Sharp'..... It failed
>> after approx 12-18 months and so I sent it out for repair...Costly!....
>> After about another year, it gave up permanently..... Microtron (?)
>> appears to have given up on it...I can't be bothered to have it fixed as
>> a new 'Microtron' would be very costly...
>>
>> The Prices....... No1..(1978) $998
>>
>> No2..(around 2002-2003) $990....
>>
>> Bigbazza (Barry)

> Wow! That's a lot of money for a microwave!

You can just imagine just how much that was 30 years ago.......

The later sharp models have prices now of somewhere around
$500-$650......Now I am talking of 'Convection' models, not just the heat
and defrost models.....Those heat and defrost (also cook) models can now be
bought for under $90 and upwards....Good named one's are generally under
$150.... To buy the same as my original Sharp model with the same basic
features (and larger size) would probably now cost from $150 upwards to
around $200.... Big difference to the near $1000 of 30 years ago!

I live in Australia....

Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I know this is posted to an old message, but I can see your later posts,
>>> Julie.....
>>>
>>> Just wanted to say.... My late wife and I bought a 'Sharp' all S.Steel
>>> inside.... It was what is now labeled as a 42-43" size.... We bought it
>>> back in May 1978, and it still works as fine today.... The only repair
>>> that has had to be done on it was one that I caused myself by putting a
>>> wet news paper in to dry... I left it far too long and it caught fire
>>> inside...I had to replace the light globe and a buckled piece of metal
>>> that (I think) served as some ventilation....Never any other hiccups
>>> with it in 30 years...
>>>
>>> I waited for it to give up for some years so I could buy a new
>>> 'Convection' microwave, but it just has never given up..I still use it
>>> now, with another one still in my kitchen, made by 'Sharp'..... It
>>> failed after approx 12-18 months and so I sent it out for
>>> repair...Costly!.... After about another year, it gave up
>>> permanently..... Microtron (?) appears to have given up on it...I can't
>>> be bothered to have it fixed as a new 'Microtron' would be very
>>> costly...
>>>
>>> The Prices....... No1..(1978) $998
>>>
>>> No2..(around 2002-2003) $990....
>>>
>>> Bigbazza (Barry)

>> Wow! That's a lot of money for a microwave!
>>

> You can just imagine just how much that was 30 years ago.......
>
> The later sharp models have prices now of somewhere around
> $500-$650......Now I am talking of 'Convection' models, not just the heat
> and defrost models.....Those heat and defrost (also cook) models can now
> be bought for under $90 and upwards....Good named one's are generally
> under $150.... To buy the same as my original Sharp model with the same
> basic features (and larger size) would probably now cost from $150 upwards
> to around $200.... Big difference to the near $1000 of 30 years ago!
>
> I live in Australia....

Wow!

I held off on buying a microwave because I didn't think I needed it. Now I
couldn't live without it. I use it every day. Not for cooking, but
reheating leftovers and things like that. Also held off on buying a VCR.
Didn't think I needed that and turned out I didn't need one! And I never
bought a color TV. All the ones I have were gifts. I could live without
that too, color or otherwise. Held off on buying the computer as well.
Thought I could do with my old Royal typewriter. The computer is now
another thing I couldn't live without!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:42:36 +1000, "Bigbazza"
> wrote:

>You can just imagine just how much that was 30 years ago.......
>
>The later sharp models have prices now of somewhere around
>$500-$650......Now I am talking of 'Convection' models, not just the heat
>and defrost models.....Those heat and defrost (also cook) models can now be
>bought for under $90 and upwards....

I prefer to use a real convection/fan forced oven and a
separate ~$100 microwave. Apart from the fact that I can use
it while something bakes slowly in the oven, I find the
separate items easier to cook with and to clean.

> Good named one's are generally under
>$150.... To buy the same as my original Sharp model with the same basic
>features (and larger size) would probably now cost from $150 upwards to
>around $200.... Big difference to the near $1000 of 30 years ago!
>
>I live in Australia....

Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html

>Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:42:36 +1000, "Bigbazza"
> > wrote:
>

>>You can just imagine just how much that was 30 years ago.......
>>
>>The later sharp models have prices now of somewhere around
>>$500-$650......Now I am talking of 'Convection' models, not just the heat
>>and defrost models.....Those heat and defrost (also cook) models can now
>>be
>>bought for under $90 and upwards....

> I prefer to use a real convection/fan forced oven and a
> separate ~$100 microwave. Apart from the fact that I can use
> it while something bakes slowly in the oven, I find the
> separate items easier to cook with and to clean.
>
>> Good named one's are generally under
>>$150.... To buy the same as my original Sharp model with the same basic
>>features (and larger size) would probably now cost from $150 upwards to
>>around $200.... Big difference to the near $1000 of 30 years ago!
>>
>>I live in Australia....
>>

> Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
> http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html
>
>>Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
> dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)

I have a Delonghi Convection oven and love it. My Kenmore microwave is
shooting sparks...like if there is metal somewhere but the dishes I use do
not have metal...must be telling me it's time for a new one. My daughter got
it for me two years ago it was one of the cheaper ones.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:44:22 -0700, "jacquie"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:42:36 +1000, "Bigbazza"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>You can just imagine just how much that was 30 years ago.......
>>>
>>>The later sharp models have prices now of somewhere around
>>>$500-$650......Now I am talking of 'Convection' models, not just the heat
>>>and defrost models.....Those heat and defrost (also cook) models can now
>>>be
>>>bought for under $90 and upwards....

>> I prefer to use a real convection/fan forced oven and a
>> separate ~$100 microwave. Apart from the fact that I can use
>> it while something bakes slowly in the oven, I find the
>> separate items easier to cook with and to clean.
>>
>>> Good named one's are generally under
>>>$150.... To buy the same as my original Sharp model with the same basic
>>>features (and larger size) would probably now cost from $150 upwards to
>>>around $200.... Big difference to the near $1000 of 30 years ago!
>>>
>>>I live in Australia....
>>>

>> Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
>> http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html
>>
>>>Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>> --
>> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
>> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
>> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
>> dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)

>I have a Delonghi Convection oven and love it. My Kenmore microwave is
>shooting sparks...like if there is metal somewhere but the dishes I use do
>not have metal...must be telling me it's time for a new one. My daughter got
>it for me two years ago it was one of the cheaper ones.

Age seems irrelevant. The shooting sparks mean it's time to
turf it out. One of ours had it's own little microcosm of
lightning storms:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 18:44:22 -0700, "jacquie"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Alan S" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:42:36 +1000, "Bigbazza"

>>> I prefer to use a real convection/fan forced oven and a
>>> separate ~$100 microwave. Apart from the fact that I can use
>>> it while something bakes slowly in the oven, I find the
>>> separate items easier to cook with and to clean.

>>> Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
>>> http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html

>>> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
>>> --
>>> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
>>> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
>>> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
>>> dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)

>>I have a Delonghi Convection oven and love it. My Kenmore microwave is
>>shooting sparks...like if there is metal somewhere but the dishes I use do
>>not have metal...must be telling me it's time for a new one. My daughter
>>got
>>it for me two years ago it was one of the cheaper ones.
>>

> Age seems irrelevant. The shooting sparks mean it's time to
> turf it out. One of ours had it's own little microcosm of
> lightning storms:-)
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
> dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)

I've been looking

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:42:36 +1000, "Bigbazza"
> > wrote:
>

>>You can just imagine just how much that was 30 years ago.......
>>
>>The later sharp models have prices now of somewhere around
>>$500-$650......Now I am talking of 'Convection' models, not just the heat
>>and defrost models.....Those heat and defrost (also cook) models can now
>>be
>>bought for under $90 and upwards....

> I prefer to use a real convection/fan forced oven and a
> separate ~$100 microwave. Apart from the fact that I can use
> it while something bakes slowly in the oven, I find the
> separate items easier to cook with and to clean.
>
>> Good named one's are generally under
>>$150.... To buy the same as my original Sharp model with the same basic
>>features (and larger size) would probably now cost from $150 upwards to
>>around $200.... Big difference to the near $1000 of 30 years ago!
>>
>>I live in Australia....
>>

> Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
> http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html

Hi, Alan.....Your home has a great outlook.... I have always had a soft spot
for around the Tweed Area.....I have spent lot's of time in the past up
there.....

I live in Sydney...If you are familiar with Sydney, then I live on the Upper
North Shore...St Ives.

>>Bigbazza (Barry) Oz

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> d&e, metformin 2000 mg
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
> dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bigbazza wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:42:36 +1000, "Bigbazza"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> You can just imagine just how much that was 30 years ago.......
>>>
>>> The later sharp models have prices now of somewhere around
>>> $500-$650......Now I am talking of 'Convection' models, not just
>>> the heat and defrost models.....Those heat and defrost (also cook)
>>> models can now be
>>> bought for under $90 and upwards....

>> I prefer to use a real convection/fan forced oven and a
>> separate ~$100 microwave. Apart from the fact that I can use
>> it while something bakes slowly in the oven, I find the
>> separate items easier to cook with and to clean.
>>
>>> Good named one's are generally under
>>> $150.... To buy the same as my original Sharp model with the same
>>> basic features (and larger size) would probably now cost from $150
>>> upwards to around $200.... Big difference to the near $1000 of 30
>>> years ago! I live in Australia....
>>>

>> Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
>> http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html

> Hi, Alan.....Your home has a great outlook.... I have always had a
> soft spot for around the Tweed Area.....I have spent lot's of time in
> the past up there.....
>
> I live in Sydney...If you are familiar with Sydney, then I live on
> the Upper North Shore...St Ives.

Snives? Huh I used to live on the Lower North Shore, Central Coast now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> Bigbazza wrote:
>> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:42:36 +1000, "Bigbazza"

>>> I prefer to use a real convection/fan forced oven and a
>>> separate ~$100 microwave. Apart from the fact that I can use
>>> it while something bakes slowly in the oven, I find the
>>> separate items easier to cook with and to clean.

>>> Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
>>> http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html

>> Hi, Alan.....Your home has a great outlook.... I have always had a
>> soft spot for around the Tweed Area.....I have spent lot's of time in
>> the past up there.....
>>
>> I live in Sydney...If you are familiar with Sydney, then I live on
>> the Upper North Shore...St Ives.

> Snives? Huh I used to live on the Lower North Shore, Central Coast now.

YEP....'Snives', that's right...Glad you recognise quality silver tail
area's...<BG>.........

I have lived, and have never lost my love of 'Snives' since buying the block
of land in '72 and building in '73..... I love it as much as when my late
wife(Helen) and I moved here here.... I was brought up in Beverly Hills
.....I built our first house in Picnic Point (the opposite side of Sydney...

My oldest daughter and husband and 3 of my grandchildren moved up to
Brisbane (Brookfield) last Christmas... They want me to sell up and move up
there..They also want my other daughter and partner and daughter, plus my
single son to go up there...I refuse to move there as I am not particularly
fond of Brisbane or the heat... son and daughter want me to, but as I do not
wish to move, they will not go up there...

What part of the Central Coast do you live?... I have a nephew and a niece
living on the Central Coast...

Bigbazza (Barry)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bigbazza wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> Bigbazza wrote:

>>> Hi, Alan.....Your home has a great outlook.... I have always had a
>>> soft spot for around the Tweed Area.....I have spent lot's of time
>>> in the past up there.....
>>>
>>> I live in Sydney...If you are familiar with Sydney, then I live on
>>> the Upper North Shore...St Ives.

>> Snives? Huh I used to live on the Lower North Shore, Central
>> Coast now.

> YEP....'Snives', that's right...Glad you recognise quality silver tail
> area's...<BG>.........
>
> I have lived, and have never lost my love of 'Snives' since buying
> the block of land in '72 and building in '73..... I love it as much
> as when my late wife(Helen) and I moved here here.... I was brought
> up in Beverly Hills ....I built our first house in Picnic Point (the
> opposite side of Sydney...
> My oldest daughter and husband and 3 of my grandchildren moved up to
> Brisbane (Brookfield) last Christmas... They want me to sell up and
> move up there..They also want my other daughter and partner and
> daughter, plus my single son to go up there...I refuse to move there
> as I am not particularly fond of Brisbane or the heat... son and
> daughter want me to, but as I do not wish to move, they will not go
> up there...
> What part of the Central Coast do you live?... I have a nephew and a
> niece living on the Central Coast...

Kanwal. And I know what you mean about some wanting to move and some not
I was bound for the Gold Coast a year ago and first one son, then another
pulled the pin on that idea.

I was devastated but wasn't leaving without them, they were 16 and 17 at the
time. Two adult daughters and two grandkids would have followed me plus two
of the 4 I still have living at home. There is talk once again of going, the
now almost 19 yr old has changed his mind and wants to go now, grrr. That
would leave one son and his family in Regents Park.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:28:52 +1000, "Bigbazza"
> wrote:

>>>I live in Australia....
>>>

>> Likewise:-) Where are you? I'm he
>> http://loraltraveloz.blogspot.com/20...ottsville.html

>Hi, Alan.....Your home has a great outlook.... I have always had a soft spot
>for around the Tweed Area.....I have spent lot's of time in the past up
>there.....
>
>I live in Sydney...If you are familiar with Sydney, then I live on the Upper
>North Shore...St Ives.

Know it, but only to drive through, en-route to places
south:-)

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:11:33 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>Bigbazza wrote:
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

<snip>
>> YEP....'Snives', that's right...Glad you recognise quality silver tail
>> area's...<BG>.........
>>
>> I have lived, and have never lost my love of 'Snives' since buying
>> the block of land in '72 and building in '73..... I love it as much
>> as when my late wife(Helen) and I moved here here.... I was brought
>> up in Beverly Hills ....I built our first house in Picnic Point (the
>> opposite side of Sydney...
>> My oldest daughter and husband and 3 of my grandchildren moved up to
>> Brisbane (Brookfield) last Christmas... They want me to sell up and
>> move up there..They also want my other daughter and partner and
>> daughter, plus my single son to go up there...I refuse to move there
>> as I am not particularly fond of Brisbane or the heat... son and
>> daughter want me to, but as I do not wish to move, they will not go
>> up there...
>> What part of the Central Coast do you live?... I have a nephew and a
>> niece living on the Central Coast...

>Kanwal. And I know what you mean about some wanting to move and some not
>I was bound for the Gold Coast a year ago and first one son, then another
>pulled the pin on that idea.

I wondered what happened; I was looking forward to your
move.

>I was devastated but wasn't leaving without them, they were 16 and 17 at the
>time. Two adult daughters and two grandkids would have followed me plus two
>of the 4 I still have living at home. There is talk once again of going, the
>now almost 19 yr old has changed his mind and wants to go now, grrr. That
>would leave one son and his family in Regents Park.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 2000 mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com (Be Smart, Be Skeptical)
dLife http://tinyurl.com/54get5 (Diabetes Diet Wars)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bigbazza wrote:

> YEP....'Snives', that's right...Glad you recognise quality silver tail
> area's...<BG>.........
>
> I have lived, and have never lost my love of 'Snives' since buying the
> block of land in '72 and building in '73..... I love it as much as when
> my late wife(Helen) and I moved here here.... I was brought up in
> Beverly Hills .....I built our first house in Picnic Point (the opposite
> side of Sydney...
>
> My oldest daughter and husband and 3 of my grandchildren moved up to
> Brisbane (Brookfield) last Christmas... They want me to sell up and

Nice part of Brissie, Brookfield :-)
We do have air-conditioners up here electricity too :-)

RodS Token Queenslander

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

> move up there..They also want my other daughter and partner and
> daughter, plus my single son to go up there...I refuse to move there as
> I am not particularly fond of Brisbane or the heat... son and daughter
> want me to, but as I do not wish to move, they will not go up there...
>
> What part of the Central Coast do you live?... I have a nephew and a
> niece living on the Central Coast...
>
> Bigbazza (Barry)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:11:33 +1000, "Ozgirl"
> > wrote:
>
>> Bigbazza wrote:
>>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> <snip>
>>> YEP....'Snives', that's right...Glad you recognise quality silver
>>> tail area's...<BG>.........
>>>
>>> I have lived, and have never lost my love of 'Snives' since buying
>>> the block of land in '72 and building in '73..... I love it as much
>>> as when my late wife(Helen) and I moved here here.... I was brought
>>> up in Beverly Hills ....I built our first house in Picnic Point (the
>>> opposite side of Sydney...
>>> My oldest daughter and husband and 3 of my grandchildren moved up to
>>> Brisbane (Brookfield) last Christmas... They want me to sell up and
>>> move up there..They also want my other daughter and partner and
>>> daughter, plus my single son to go up there...I refuse to move there
>>> as I am not particularly fond of Brisbane or the heat... son and
>>> daughter want me to, but as I do not wish to move, they will not go
>>> up there...
>>> What part of the Central Coast do you live?... I have a nephew and a
>>> niece living on the Central Coast...

>> Kanwal. And I know what you mean about some wanting to move and some
>> not I was bound for the Gold Coast a year ago and first one son,
>> then another pulled the pin on that idea.
>>

> I wondered what happened; I was looking forward to your
> move.

I had got as close to moving as one can get without actually moving. I was
devastated. A neighbour pulled the plug on a big street celebration my boys
were having when they told the neighbourhood we weren't leaving She knew
I was inside the house deeply upset and told the kids off for being so
insensitive. You have no idea how "festive" the occasion was! There was
singing and dancing and feasting in the street, lol.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
> Bigbazza wrote:
>>
>> YEP....'Snives', that's right...Glad you recognise quality silver
>> tail area's...<BG>.........
>>
>> I have lived, and have never lost my love of 'Snives' since buying
>> the block of land in '72 and building in '73..... I love it as much
>> as when my late wife(Helen) and I moved here here.... I was brought
>> up in Beverly Hills .....I built our first house in Picnic Point
>> (the opposite side of Sydney...
>>
>> My oldest daughter and husband and 3 of my grandchildren moved up to
>> Brisbane (Brookfield) last Christmas... They want me to sell up and

> Nice part of Brissie, Brookfield :-)
> We do have air-conditioners up here electricity too :-)
>
> RodS Token Queenslander

I looked Brookfield up, it actually had cheaper rentals than anywhere else I
had looked. Didn't seem to be a lot of housing there unless the google map
was years old Where you live is out of my range. Looks nice though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:
> RodS wrote:
>> Bigbazza wrote:
>>> YEP....'Snives', that's right...Glad you recognise quality silver
>>> tail area's...<BG>.........
>>>
>>> I have lived, and have never lost my love of 'Snives' since buying
>>> the block of land in '72 and building in '73..... I love it as much
>>> as when my late wife(Helen) and I moved here here.... I was brought
>>> up in Beverly Hills .....I built our first house in Picnic Point
>>> (the opposite side of Sydney...
>>>
>>> My oldest daughter and husband and 3 of my grandchildren moved up to
>>> Brisbane (Brookfield) last Christmas... They want me to sell up and

>> Nice part of Brissie, Brookfield :-)
>> We do have air-conditioners up here electricity too :-)
>>
>> RodS Token Queenslander

> I looked Brookfield up, it actually had cheaper rentals than anywhere else I
> had looked. Didn't seem to be a lot of housing there unless the google map
> was years old Where you live is out of my range. Looks nice though.

Yeah Brookfield is semi-rural acreage tucked in to a crook of the river.