Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I want a calzone!!!

Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a craving!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
> Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a craving!

No, but back when I could eat cheese, I would put some Italian style canned
tomatoes in a shallow dish, top with cheese and Italian seasoning and nuke
it. Tasted like pizza to me.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Hi Nick

Have a look at Alan's recipe it's on my list for next time the urge
strikes me.

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...mal-carbs.html

RodS T2
Australia

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
> Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a craving!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 13 Jun 2008 04:40:34 GMT, Nick Cramer
> wrote:

>Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
>Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a craving!

Just make normal pizza or lasagna with normal pasta. But eat
half-serves, or thin slice.

Rod gave the pizza recipe (thanks Rod) here is the lasagna:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2007/03/lasagne.html

I'm having spirals with bolognaise sauce tonight (mince
[ground] beef, browned and separated, add a can of tomato
and a cup of napoli sauce, a slurp of red wine and simmer
for 45-60 minutes.

The other two get standard serves, I have double the sauce
and half the pasta.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
--
d&e, metformin 1500mg, ezetrol 10mg
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

>Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
>Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a craving!

Their pizza base recipe isn't bad. You probably could make a calzone
with it, but the handling's tricky... I'm working on pastry atm, and
haven't quite got it right yet. Tastes good, but I'm overworking it so
it's tough...

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.4% BMI 25

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Nick Cramer" > wrote in message

> > Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
> > Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a
> > craving!

> No, but back when I could eat cheese, I would put some Italian style
> canned tomatoes in a shallow dish, top with cheese and Italian seasoning
> and nuke it. Tasted like pizza to me.

I hear ya, Julie. But I need a Sichy style thin crust pizza!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
> >Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a
> >craving!

> Just make normal pizza or lasagna with normal pasta. But eat
> half-serves, or thin slice.
>
> Rod gave the pizza recipe (thanks Rod) here is the lasagna:
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2007/03/lasagne.html
>
> I'm having spirals with bolognaise sauce tonight (mince
> [ground] beef, browned and separated, add a can of tomato
> and a cup of napoli sauce, a slurp of red wine and simmer
> for 45-60 minutes.
>
> The other two get standard serves, I have double the sauce
> and half the pasta.

Thanks, Alan. When I make it, I make eggplant on one end, lasagna on the
other end. The kids and grandkids go through it pretty quickly, so portion
control isn' much of a problem, and I try to get mostly the eggplant.

Nick's Molto Siciliano Melanzana Parmigiana e Lasagna al Forno, mezza mezza

This combo tray first made March 30, 2004, modified September 9, 2005 and
December 25, 2006.

1. Ingredients:

a. Eggplant:

3 medium sized eggplants
1/2 cup flour
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups fine Italian bread crumbs, seasoned with cayenne pepper & Parmesan
cheese
Olive oil for sautéing

b. Lasagna (Pasta):

6 qts water
1/2 oz. Lemon juice
1 oz. Olive oil
1/2 lb. Lasagna

c. Meat Sauce:

1 lb each sweet and hot Italian sausage, split open lengthwise, and ½ lb.
panchetta, all chopped
½ lb. proschiutto, chopped separately
1/4 cup olive oil
6 to 60 cloves garlic, crushed or finely diced
1-1/2 cups onion, chopped
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. paprika

1-1/2 tsps. cayenne
8 lbs or 4 large cans San Marzano Roma tomatoes
12 oz. tomato paste
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. rosemary

1 Tbs. oregano
2 Tbs. basil
1 tsp. black pepper, ground

1/4 tsp. tarragon
1 Tbs. salt
3 bay leaves
2 cups Marsala wine
2 Tbs. lemon juice

d. Ricotta mixtu

1 egg
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 Tbs. oregano
3/4 lb. each of Ricotta and Mascarpone
up to one cup wine or water or to the consistency you like

e. Final assembly:

2-1/2 lb. total of mozzarella, munster and provolone cheeses, sliced (3/4
lb plus, each)
1 cup each grated Parmesan cheese and grated Romano cheese, mixed
1 Tbs. sweet basil
1 tsp. tarragon
up to 6 Tbs. butter (optional, but highly recommended)

2. Preparation (3-1/2 hours): [Do in order shown. All steps are sequenced
to time out at Final Assembly]

a. Sauce:

Heat oil in large saucepan. Simmer panchetta and sausage ‘til almost done,
seasoning it to your taste. Meanwhile, crush or finely dice garlic, add to
meat and brown lightly. Chop onion, add and brown lightly. Quarter or slice
mushrooms and add them, paprika and cayenne. Mix, cover and simmer while
you chop or crush tomatoes, then add them, tomato paste, proschiutto, wine
and remaining sauce spices to meat, garlic, onion, mushroom mixture. Mix,
cover and simmer up to 3 hours, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

b. Eggplant:

1. After you wash the eggplant, slice them into 1/4" to 1/2" thick slices.
You may choose to peel the eggplant before you slice it. However, you may
want to leave the skin on since it adds to the flavor and contains a lot
of vitamins.

2. Place the eggplant slices on a layer of paper towels and sprinkle with a
little salt, (you can stack them), then cover with another layer of paper
towels and hold it down with something heavy to drain the excess moisture.
Let them sit for about an hour. Rinse them and pat dry if you want to get
rid of the salt.
Season the breadcrumbs with cayenne pepper and Parmesan cheese.

3. Working with one slice of eggplant at a time, dust with flour, dip in
beaten eggs, then coat well with breadcrumbs.

4. Sauté in preheated olive oil on both sides until lightly golden brown.
Keep the oil just below the smoke point and don't overload the pan or the
eggplant will absorb too much oil.

5. Set aside on paper towels.

Pasta:

Put 6 qts of water, lemon juice and olive oil in a large pot and bring to a
rolling boil.

d. Ricotta mixtu

(While water is coming to a boil,) beat egg, combine with bread crumbs and
oregano and set aside.

e. Pasta:

When water is boiling vigorously, slowly add lasagna and cook for 10 to 15
minutes, until al dente.

f. Ricotta mixtu

(While lasagna is boiling,) mix egg, breadcrumb mixture, white or red dry
wine or water, and ricotta and mascarpone cheeses. Separate into thirds,
cover and set aside.

g. Final assembly:

Thin slice Mozzarella, munster and Provolone and divide stacks into thirds.

When cooked, drain lasagna and rinse in cold water to stop cooking. Divide
stack in fourths and leave in cold water.

Prepare 10" x 16" x 4" baking dish with 1/2" of sauce on the bottom,
then add layers from the bottom up, as follows, until you fill the baking
dish, about 1/4" from the top:

NOTE: 'lasagna & eggplant' means use lasagna on half, eggplant on the other
half.

Bottom lasagna & eggplant, ricotta, mozzarella & munster & provolone,
sauce, grated cheese,

Then lasagna & eggplant, ricotta, mozzarella & munster & provolone, sauce,
grated cheese,

Again lasagna & eggplant, ricotta, mozzarella & munster & provolone, sauce,
grated cheese,

Top lasagna & eggplant, sauce, grated cheese.

Sprinkle with basil and tarragon, put butter on top if you want it crunchy
on top, cover with foil and bake 25 minutes in a moderate (375° F.) oven.
Uncover and bake five [to 20] minutes more or until golden-brown on top.
Allow to set up to 20 minutes (if you can wait that long) before serving.

Serve with parmesan or romano cheese for sprinkling, garlic bread, sautéed
zucchini, mushrooms, red potatoes and a hearty dry Italian red wine.
Pre-cook the potatoes in the simmering sauce. Serves 6.

Che belezza! Mangia! Mangia!

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky > wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2008 04:40:34 GMT, Nick Cramer >

> >Has anyone made a calzone or even pizza, lasagna or fettucine, using
> >Carbquik or Carbalose? I'm trying to be good, but I've got such a
> >craving!

> Their pizza base recipe isn't bad. You probably could make a calzone
> with it, but the handling's tricky... I'm working on pastry atm, and
> haven't quite got it right yet. Tastes good, but I'm overworking it so
> it's tough...

Thanks, Nicky. I'll look for that.