Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Roast Chicken

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:48:01 -0400, "Evelyn Ruut"
> wrote:

>I have another little trick. I roast the chicken and serve it the first
>night with gravy and veggies etc. After dinner I remove all the meat from
>the bones, and place it into the remaining gravy.

I make stock with the bones. It's so easy; I cover the carcass with
water, add in a carrot or two, some celery, an onion, some peppercorns
and some bay leaves, and simmer for a couple of hours. Strain - and
there's soup base for a week. Yum : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >I have another little trick. I roast the chicken and serve it the first
: >night with gravy and veggies etc. After dinner I remove all the meat from
: >the bones, and place it into the remaining gravy.

: I make stock with the bones. It's so easy; I cover the carcass with
: water, add in a carrot or two, some celery, an onion, some peppercorns
: and some bay leaves, and simmer for a couple of hours. Strain - and
: there's soup base for a week. Yum : )

: Nicky.
: T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
: D&E, 100ug thyroxine
: Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Or a great meal for someone with a cold or the flu! Just add a little
fresh dill weed.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn Ruut wrote:

> Good idea! I had a lady friend who would save chicken or turkey
> carcasses in a plastic bag in the freezer, then make a huge pot of stock
> from them all at once.

I save and freeze the giblets from whole chickens. I also save the tips
that I've cut off of chicken wings. When chicken breast halves with skin
and ribs are on sale, I bone them and skin them and save the bones and
"funny looking" chicken pieces. When I want to make chicken soup, I
throw all my little savings into the pressure cooker with lots of
carrots, celery, onions, parsley, a parsnip and some dill weed and I
have a marvelously rich broth. It can even be watered down with some
filtered or boiled and cooled water.

What's better than "free" soup?

I also save chicken fat and render it. I hate to waste stuff <g>.

I roast our chicken on the gas grill. I have one of those beer can
holders and use it for the chicken which is on the side of the grill,
not over the fire. The last time I made one, I put several sprigs of
fresh rosemary into the half-can of lite beer. I rub the chicken with a
combo of granulated garlic, onion powder, Bell's poultry seasoning and
paprika. I stick a small onion in the neck to trap the steam from the
can. After the chicken is cooked, there is still a half-can of beer in
the can. The chicken doesn't taste at all like beer, but you can use
soda or juice if you feel better about it. Lemon-lime soda (even diet)
is good with a rub of garlic and ginger.

This is, by far, the yummiest way to roast a chicken. The beer can
holder thing can also be used in a regular oven. The chicken is so
juicy! The fat is on the bottom of the pan.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: Evelyn Ruut wrote:

: > Good idea! I had a lady friend who would save chicken or turkey
: > carcasses in a plastic bag in the freezer, then make a huge pot of stock
: > from them all at once.
: >

[...]

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
: Good Friends. Good Life

Both great ideas, Janet. I also use the skin in making my chicken stock
or soup. It adds flavor and yu can always skim the fat off at the end of
cooking. I use one of those measuring cups with the low spout that lets
you pour off the stock and stop when you reach the fat.

I also save my chicken fat, freeze it and then render it when I get
enough. I do that now in the microwave in one of those giant measurign
cups-1 qt or 3. It still takes quite a bit of time, but it is much less
of a mess to clean up than the to of the stove pot that always had almost
burnt on stuff that was so hard to get off.

I have never made beercan or "standy-uppy" chicken, but many of my friends
swear by it. I still let my chicken be lazy and lie down on a little rack
so it is not swimming in fat drippings. I ofen use a mild curry powder as
ell as onions, pepper(the kosher chickens are quite salty enough) lemon
juice and other herbs. I do i in qute a hot oven, over 400F and for th e3
31/2 lb chickens I usually get, it cookes in about an hour, is juicy with
a not fatty skin to die for,and the defatted pan juices and scrapings with
a little chicken stock or water makes an excellent thin gravyto put on he
chicken or the mashed cauliflower.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nicky wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 12:48:01 -0400, "Evelyn Ruut"
> > wrote:
>

>>I have another little trick. I roast the chicken and serve it the first
>>night with gravy and veggies etc. After dinner I remove all the meat from
>>the bones, and place it into the remaining gravy.

> I make stock with the bones. It's so easy; I cover the carcass with
> water, add in a carrot or two, some celery, an onion, some peppercorns
> and some bay leaves, and simmer for a couple of hours. Strain - and
> there's soup base for a week. Yum : )
>
> Nicky.
> T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
> D&E, 100ug thyroxine
> Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25

Sounds as if you are just like me! Hubby LOVES soup; so I invariably
have some leftovers that will turn into a soup, or stoup, if it is thick.

We had fajitas the other night, and there was excess meat and peppers.
Also a little bit of refried beans ( a treat for him,). I added some
Edens Black Soy Beans, some RoTel mexican tomatoes, a can of beef broth,
and whatever veggies I had lying around zucchini, summer squash,
pre-packaged cole slaw (no sauce ) etc.

That will give him a lovely lunch for a couple of days or more; I
probably will heat up a low-carb tortilla for him to dunk in it.

I ALWAYS simmer up the chicken carcase!!

Gillian