Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Chopped almonds in chicken or tuna salad

Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna salad?

Besides the crunch, nutty taste, there's also this potential healthy
feature to almonds for healthy folks, but maybe diabetics too.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/136/12/2987
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote in message ...
>Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna

salad?

>Besides the crunch, nutty taste, there's also this potential healthy
>feature to almonds for healthy folks, but maybe diabetics too.
>
>http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/136/12/2987

Yes, I often add a few almonds or other nuts. Very tasty IMO.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico wrote:
> Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna salad?
>
> Besides the crunch, nutty taste, there's also this potential healthy
> feature to almonds for healthy folks, but maybe diabetics too.
>
> http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/136/12/2987

I used to add pecans to our chicken salad at times. I can't eat nuts any
longer with my half-tongue. Miss them.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Uncle Enrico said...

> Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna salad?
>
> Besides the crunch, nutty taste, there's also this potential healthy
> feature to almonds for healthy folks, but maybe diabetics too.
>
> http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/136/12/2987

Since you brought up tuna salad, I offer up my "green death" tuna salad
sandwich recipe...

"Green Death" tuna salad

Ingredients:

1 12 oz. can (340g) Solid white tuna (albacore), low sodium kind if needed.
1 medium avocado
3 tablespoon mayo (or to desired "glopiness")
1 tablespoon minced celery
1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper, seeded, find diced (optional).
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked white pepper
1 slice bread (optionally lettuce wrap)
1 Slice of favorite cheese (optional)

Directions:

1. Open and drain water from can of tuna. Chop fine.

2. Peel and seed an avocado and place flesh into mixing bowl. Mash with a
fork.

3. Add tuna, celery, pepper and optional jalapeno to bowl and mix.

4. Add mayo (fat free Miracle whip or something), mixing well to achieve
desired glopiness.

5. Optionally add in a teaspoon of Dijon mustard for some tang.

6. Let sit in the fridge for 1 hour to meld flavors.

7. Toast a slice of bread, cover with a cheese slice (optional) and spoon
on 2 ounces of "green death" and spread evenly, openfaced OR wrap in
lettuce or tortillas.

8. Enjoy.

Andy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That sounds really good.

Cheri

Andy wrote in message ...

>Since you brought up tuna salad, I offer up my "green death" tuna

salad
>sandwich recipe...
>
>"Green Death" tuna salad
>
>Ingredients:
>
>1 12 oz. can (340g) Solid white tuna (albacore), low sodium kind if

needed.
>1 medium avocado
>3 tablespoon mayo (or to desired "glopiness")
>1 tablespoon minced celery
>1 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper, seeded, find diced (optional).
>1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked white pepper
>1 slice bread (optionally lettuce wrap)
>1 Slice of favorite cheese (optional)
>

>Directions:
>
>1. Open and drain water from can of tuna. Chop fine.
>
>2. Peel and seed an avocado and place flesh into mixing bowl. Mash

with a
>fork.
>
>3. Add tuna, celery, pepper and optional jalapeno to bowl and mix.
>
>4. Add mayo (fat free Miracle whip or something), mixing well to

achieve
>desired glopiness.
>
>5. Optionally add in a teaspoon of Dijon mustard for some tang.
>
>6. Let sit in the fridge for 1 hour to meld flavors.
>
>7. Toast a slice of bread, cover with a cheese slice (optional) and

spoon
>on 2 ounces of "green death" and spread evenly, openfaced OR wrap in
>lettuce or tortillas.
>
>8. Enjoy.
>
>Andy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri said...

> That sounds really good.
>
> Cheri

Cheri,

Thanks,

It is. I take care posting recipes since folks may have other various health
issues. The nutrition "label" info is a PITA, so I rarely post them.

Best,

Andy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I haven't had almonds in my Tuna salad but walnuts are great in it...love
the added nutty flavor.
I did have a chicken salad in a local luncheon restaurant and they had
almonds in it...very tasty
Jacquie
"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
t...
Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna salad?

Besides the crunch, nutty taste, there's also this potential healthy
feature to almonds for healthy folks, but maybe diabetics too.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/136/12/2987

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

jacquie wrote in message >...
>I haven't had almonds in my Tuna salad but walnuts are great in

it...love
>the added nutty flavor.
>I did have a chicken salad in a local luncheon restaurant and they

had
>almonds in it...very tasty

I like sunflower seeds in tuna too.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
Uncle Enrico > wrote:

> Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna salad?

I like to put walnuts into turkey salad.

Priscilla
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn Ruut said...

> Andy I have been buying my tuna in those foil bags. Much more convenient
> than the can and no water to have to drain off. I think it tastes better
> too.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Evelyn

Evelyn,

What is the style of tuna in the bag and what is the sodium content? I'm high
blood-pressured as well as diabetic.

Andy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
t...
> Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna salad?
>
> Besides the crunch, nutty taste, there's also this potential healthy
> feature to almonds for healthy folks, but maybe diabetics too.
>
> http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/136/12/2987

I like walnuts in chicken salad. Don't think I'd like it in tuna. Am
allergic to almonds.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn Ruut" > wrote in message

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Cheri said...
>>
>>> That sounds really good.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Cheri,
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> It is. I take care posting recipes since folks may have other various
>> health
>> issues. The nutrition "label" info is a PITA, so I rarely post them.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> Andy I have been buying my tuna in those foil bags. Much more convenient
> than the can and no water to have to drain off. I think it tastes better
> too.

I prefer that kind too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Evelyn Ruut said...

> www.bumblebee.com

I visted the website.

Seems they're no longer offering low sodium solid white low sodium tuna! Only
chunk white. The BUMS!!!

Trader Jones does. 45mg sodium per 2 oz. serving. I just hope it's not a
product of China.

I don't have dentures, yet. Chunk isn't yet required. <G>

Andy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan said...

> You didn't get that from the electrolytes, you got it from the dextrose
> or from the food.

Wrong.

I didn't eat for the entire week.

I got to sip, gargle and spit out plain water

Andy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie,
I didn't think I would either, the first time I had it we had gone to a
restaurant and they didn't have much on the menu that didn't have allot of
carbs...so I ordered the Tuna salad hoping I would be able to pick the nuts
out, if I didn't like them...I was really surprised that I did...Like we
tell our Grandson...you don't know you won't like it unless you try it

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

"Uncle Enrico" > wrote in message
t...
> Has anyone tried adding chopped almonds to their chicken or tuna salad?
>
> Besides the crunch, nutty taste, there's also this potential healthy
> feature to almonds for healthy folks, but maybe diabetics too.
>
> http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/...ct/136/12/2987

I like walnuts in chicken salad. Don't think I'd like it in tuna. Am
allergic to almonds.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Andy <q> wrote:
: Evelyn Ruut said...

: > www.bumblebee.com

: I visted the website.

: Seems they're no longer offering low sodium solid white low sodium tuna! Only
: chunk white. The BUMS!!!

: Trader Jones does. 45mg sodium per 2 oz. serving. I just hope it's not a
: product of China.

: I don't have dentures, yet. Chunk isn't yet required. <G>

: Andy

When I was put on a lowsodium diet, some 20 years ago. The dietician told
me to not bother with getting either no salt tuna or canned vegetables, bu
tjust to rince the fods very well. I would put the tuna in a strainer adn
let the wter run rhough it for a little whie and then let it drain.
cheaper adn better tasting than th eno salt added ones.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Susan said...
>
>> You didn't get that from the electrolytes, you got it from the dextrose
>> or from the food.

> Wrong.
>
> I didn't eat for the entire week.
>
> I got to sip, gargle and spit out plain water

They probably gave you an I.V.