Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Can I sub Erythriol in this recipe?

Okay, this is not my recipe, nor is it diabetic friendly as is. But it is
darned good tasting. Tastes just like Tootsie Rolls but without the milk in
it. Here's a link:

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthrea...hlight=tootsie

I did not make it exactly as written. I left out the Fo-Ti. That's an herb
and can't see the need for it in there. The creator of the recipe told me
to add in more mesquite or some other dry ingredient, but I didn't find that
necessary. I did not use almond butter since I am allergic, but instead
used cashew/macadamia nut butter. And mine wasn't raw. All of the other
ingredients I used were raw, not that it matters if one is not following a
raw diet.

I did use a mix of 1/2 agave nectar and 1/2 honey. I think the honey was
the culprit BGwise. I have used agave in other recipes and it has not
caused a problem, although I must say I don't use it often and I generally
use only about 20% of the amount recommended because it is so sweet. In
this recipe I did use 3/4 cup (1/2 of each). I know the mesquite does add
some sweetness and it isn't overly high in carbs.

Now here's the problem. Erythriol is a powder. The other sweeteners are
sticky and syrupy and I think this is what gives this recipe the texture it
has. I think I would have to add at least *some* agave to it or else I'd be
left with nothing but powder. But do you think I could use the Erythriol in
place of the honey? Or in place of the honey and part of the agave?

Yes, I know I could just buy some Erythriol and try it but some of the
ingredients are very expensive and I'd hate to waste them if it wasn't going
to turn out. Do you think it will work?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have great sucess with erythriol and have made simple syrup with it which
is just it and water..i did this to mis into egg white for a marrange
topping and it worked perfect so maybe disolve it into water for the liquid?

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Okay, this is not my recipe, nor is it diabetic friendly as is. But it is
> darned good tasting. Tastes just like Tootsie Rolls but without the milk
> in it. Here's a link:
>
> http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/showthrea...hlight=tootsie
>
> I did not make it exactly as written. I left out the Fo-Ti. That's an
> herb and can't see the need for it in there. The creator of the recipe
> told me to add in more mesquite or some other dry ingredient, but I didn't
> find that necessary. I did not use almond butter since I am allergic, but
> instead used cashew/macadamia nut butter. And mine wasn't raw. All of
> the other ingredients I used were raw, not that it matters if one is not
> following a raw diet.
>
> I did use a mix of 1/2 agave nectar and 1/2 honey. I think the honey was
> the culprit BGwise. I have used agave in other recipes and it has not
> caused a problem, although I must say I don't use it often and I generally
> use only about 20% of the amount recommended because it is so sweet. In
> this recipe I did use 3/4 cup (1/2 of each). I know the mesquite does add
> some sweetness and it isn't overly high in carbs.
>
> Now here's the problem. Erythriol is a powder. The other sweeteners are
> sticky and syrupy and I think this is what gives this recipe the texture
> it has. I think I would have to add at least *some* agave to it or else
> I'd be left with nothing but powder. But do you think I could use the
> Erythriol in place of the honey? Or in place of the honey and part of the
> agave?
>
> Yes, I know I could just buy some Erythriol and try it but some of the
> ingredients are very expensive and I'd hate to waste them if it wasn't
> going to turn out. Do you think it will work?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>I have great sucess with erythriol and have made simple syrup with it which
>is just it and water..i did this to mis into egg white for a marrange
>topping and it worked perfect so maybe disolve it into water for the
>liquid?

I don't know. I've never used it before.