Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Nick's chili

There's been some discussion of chili over on a.s.d. Here's mine:

2 pounds beef shoulder (used Lomo de Res), cut into 1 1/2" cubes
1 pound pork shoulder (used 2 lbs chuletas de puerco con hueso), cut into 1
1/2" cubes
flour for dredging
3 tablespoons EVOO
2 medium onions, sliced thin
6 cloves garlic, minced fine
1 quart water
2 Pasilla chiles, stems removed (called for Anchos)
4 Anaheim chiles, stems removed (called for red New Mexicos)
1 Serrano chiles, stem removed, chopped fine, thanks BD (could've used 4)
6 Roma tomatoes, chopped (not in original - added so the 2 and 4 year olds
could eat it)
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, freshly ground
2 tablespoons fresh Mexican oregano, chopped
1/4 tsp BBQ's Chipotle Habanero, Serrano & Jalapeño deadly sneezing powder
- next time use 1 tsp
1/2 tsp chili powder next time use 1 tsp
1 tsp salt (not in original)

Lightly flour the beef and pork cubes. Quickly sear the meat in the oil,
stirring often, 'til grey all over. Add the onions and garlic and saute
until soft. Add the water and simmer for 1 hour.

Chop the Pasillas and Anaheims. Add them to the meat mixture along with
the remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 2 hours, stirring
frequently and adding liquid as need to keep it from sticking.

Serve with BBQ'd beans on the side.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Member

please excuse my ignorance...but what is a.s.d?
__________________
All Recipes.com | Chocolate Gifts
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Nick Cramer > wrote:
: There's been some discussion of chili over on a.s.d. Here's mine:

: 2 pounds beef shoulder (used Lomo de Res), cut into 1 1/2" cubes
: 1 pound pork shoulder (used 2 lbs chuletas de puerco con hueso), cut into 1
: 1/2" cubes

Nick,
Since this is a no-bean chili and the meat is obviously important what
would you recommend to use in place of the pork for us kosher ones> I
thought veal(expensive), dark turkey maybe lamb(also expensive ) or just
more beef. any ideas?

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : There's been some discussion of chili over on a.s.d. Here's mine:
>
> : 2 pounds beef shoulder (used Lomo de Res), cut into 1 1/2" cubes
> : 1 pound pork shoulder (used 2 lbs chuletas de puerco con hueso), cut into 1
> : 1/2" cubes
>
> Nick,
> Since this is a no-bean chili and the meat is obviously important what
> would you recommend to use in place of the pork for us kosher ones> I
> thought veal(expensive), dark turkey maybe lamb(also expensive ) or just
> more beef. any ideas?
>
> Wendy

use ground turkey instead of the pork

it's tasty
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
> : There's been some discussion of chili over on a.s.d. Here's mine:
>
> : 2 pounds beef shoulder (used Lomo de Res), cut into 1 1/2" cubes
> : 1 pound pork shoulder (used 2 lbs chuletas de puerco con hueso), cut
> : into 1 1/2" cubes
>
> Nick,
> Since this is a no-bean chili and the meat is obviously important what
> would you recommend to use in place of the pork for us kosher ones> I
> thought veal(expensive), dark turkey maybe lamb(also expensive ) or just
> more beef. any ideas?

Shalom aleycham, Wendy. I would go with lamb [or mutton, if you can get it
(fattier and cheaper than lamb, too)]. I like a leg or shoulder cut, as
it's pretty fatty, which adds greatly to the taste and 'feel' of the chili'
<and is one of the things that pork provides for us goyem>. ;-) More beef
would be OK, but two kinds of meat definitely adds a dimension to it. I
find veal rather tasteless. I won't comment on turkey.

Zay gezunt.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Tiger_Lily > wrote:
> W. Baker wrote:
> > Nick Cramer > wrote:
> > : There's been some discussion of chili over on a.s.d. Here's mine:
> >
> > : 2 pounds beef shoulder (used Lomo de Res), cut into 1 1/2" cubes
> > : 1 pound pork shoulder (used 2 lbs chuletas de puerco con hueso), cut
> > : into 1 1/2" cubes
> >
> > Nick,
> > Since this is a no-bean chili and the meat is obviously important what
> > would you recommend to use in place of the pork for us kosher ones> I
> > thought veal(expensive), dark turkey maybe lamb(also expensive ) or
> > just more beef. any ideas?
> >
> > Wendy

> use ground turkey instead of the pork
>
> it's tasty

We disagree on the tastiness of turkey, Tiger Lilly. I hadn't thought of
using duck, but that might be good, since I love duck. ;-)

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

If it was me i would replace the pork with a fattier cute of beef like rib
meat.
Though lamb and veal sounds tasty!

KROM