T E

Default converting nonfat milk to buttermilk

Was told to convert nonfat milk to buttermilk add juice of fresh lemon
to milk and let sit 10 min.'s before using.
Wondering if any one here has heard of this or tried it.
I found the nonfat powdered buttermilk I've been searching for N you
guess it, the carb count was higher than regular high fat buttermilk.

Vicki Beausoleil

T E wrote:

> Was told to convert nonfat milk to buttermilk add juice of fresh lemon
> to milk and let sit 10 min.'s before using.
> Wondering if any one here has heard of this or tried it.
> I found the nonfat powdered buttermilk I've been searching for N you
> guess it, the carb count was higher than regular high fat buttermilk.

This is used for recipes that call for sour milk or buttermilk. It's
called clabbering. 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar per cup of milk
in the bottom of the measuring cup then add the milk to the desired
measure. Let sit about 10 minutes until it looks kind of lumpy.
I used to use clabbered milk all the time for biscuits. I don't eat too
many biscuits anymore, obviously...

Vicki
NoSpamo~

That is due to the dry versus wet measurement.

T E wrote:

> Was told to convert nonfat milk to buttermilk add juice of fresh lemon
> to milk and let sit 10 min.'s before using.
> Wondering if any one here has heard of this or tried it.
> I found the nonfat powdered buttermilk I've been searching for N you
> guess it, the carb count was higher than regular high fat buttermilk.

Julie Bove

"T E" > wrote in message
> Was told to convert nonfat milk to buttermilk add juice of fresh lemon
> to milk and let sit 10 min.'s before using.
> Wondering if any one here has heard of this or tried it.
> I found the nonfat powdered buttermilk I've been searching for N you
> guess it, the carb count was higher than regular high fat buttermilk.

I've done this for use in baking. Works well for that. Not sure I'd want
to drink it though. Then again, I wouldn't drink real buttermilk either!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

T E

Default converting nonfat milk to buttermilk-thank you

thank you for all the replies.
I want to make a no fat very low carb ranch dressing recipe.
Walden Farms products are too expensive and been told they don't taste
that great either .

Larry Hazel

T E wrote:
> Was told to convert nonfat milk to buttermilk add juice of fresh lemon
> to milk and let sit 10 min.'s before using.
> Wondering if any one here has heard of this or tried it.
> I found the nonfat powdered buttermilk I've been searching for N you
> guess it, the carb count was higher than regular high fat buttermilk.

Around here, you can just buy nonfat buttermilk.