Vicki Beausoleil

Default converting nonfat milk to buttermilk

T E wrote:

> Was told to convert nonfat milk to buttermilk add juice of fresh lemon
> to milk and let sit 10 min.'s before using.
> Wondering if any one here has heard of this or tried it.
> I found the nonfat powdered buttermilk I've been searching for N you
> guess it, the carb count was higher than regular high fat buttermilk.

This is used for recipes that call for sour milk or buttermilk. It's
called clabbering. 2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar per cup of milk
in the bottom of the measuring cup then add the milk to the desired
measure. Let sit about 10 minutes until it looks kind of lumpy.
I used to use clabbered milk all the time for biscuits. I don't eat too
many biscuits anymore, obviously...

Vicki