Phil

Default Banana Bread

Hi,
Just tried one of my old pre diabetic days recipes...a simple banan bread. I
substitued the sugar with Canderel artificial sweetener. Result..........
What looked like an ancient Babylonian mud brick......and tasting like it
had come out of the end of a camel. It had both my wife and myself spitting
out in the sink.
I've never had such a disaster.

Ho hum.
Phil

Tiger Lily

i must confess to having a chuckle

how about using splenda instead, and reducing the wet volumes a touch to
account for the lack of bulk in the splenda?? make it a sticky dough, not
too wet a dough?

--
Join us in the Diabetic-Talk Chatroom on UnderNet
/server irc.undernet.org --- /join #Diabetic-Talk

"Phil" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> Just tried one of my old pre diabetic days recipes...a simple banan bread.

> substitued the sugar with Canderel artificial sweetener. Result..........
> What looked like an ancient Babylonian mud brick......and tasting like it
> had come out of the end of a camel. It had both my wife and myself

spitting
> out in the sink.
> I've never had such a disaster.
>
> Ho hum.
> Phil

Alice Faber

In article >,
"Tiger Lily" > wrote:

> i must confess to having a chuckle
>
> how about using splenda instead, and reducing the wet volumes a touch to
> account for the lack of bulk in the splenda?? make it a sticky dough, not
> too wet a dough?

I don't think that would work. Sugar contributes texture as well as
taste. Artificial sweeteners can replace the taste, but not the texture.
I *once* tried a white cake (part of a fruit tart) with splenda. It
didn't rise, at all. Even the splenda web site recommends replacing no
more than half the sugar with splenda. When I've done that, with
chocolate chip cookies, the result has been OK; the texture was
noticeably different, but the cookies were still edible (OK, they were
good). On the other hand, I've had wonderful luck using splenda in
cheesecakes and fruit-pies, as well as in crumb topping for fruit crisps.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Tiger Lily

found a recipe!

http://www.lifescan.com/care/recipes.../banana_bread/

--

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Tiger Lily" > wrote:
>
> > i must confess to having a chuckle
> >
> > how about using splenda instead, and reducing the wet volumes a touch to
> > account for the lack of bulk in the splenda?? make it a sticky dough,

not
> > too wet a dough?

> I don't think that would work. Sugar contributes texture as well as
> taste. Artificial sweeteners can replace the taste, but not the texture.
> I *once* tried a white cake (part of a fruit tart) with splenda. It
> didn't rise, at all. Even the splenda web site recommends replacing no
> more than half the sugar with splenda. When I've done that, with
> chocolate chip cookies, the result has been OK; the texture was
> noticeably different, but the cookies were still edible (OK, they were
> good). On the other hand, I've had wonderful luck using splenda in
> cheesecakes and fruit-pies, as well as in crumb topping for fruit crisps.
>
> --
> AF
> "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
> --artyw raises the bar on rec.sport.baseball

Alan

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:40:09 +0000 (UTC), "Phil"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>Just tried one of my old pre diabetic days recipes...a simple banan bread. I
>substitued the sugar with Canderel artificial sweetener. Result..........
>What looked like an ancient Babylonian mud brick......and tasting like it
>had come out of the end of a camel. It had both my wife and myself spitting
>out in the sink.
>I've never had such a disaster.
>
>Ho hum.
>Phil

Serendipitous. Probably a good thing it tasted bad. Leaving the sugar
out would have made very little difference to the carb content or GL of
most banana breads and cakes.

Even if you left out either the flour or the bananas, what's left would
send my BGs sky high.

But keep having the occasional disaster. They are the price of
experimentation, which is the only way to find the odd brilliant recipe
that works.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.

Peanutjake

Try it again but substitute the flour with Gram flour (Besan.)
Substitute the sugar with splenda.
Substitute the banana with Banana Extract Flavoring.

PJ

Alan

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:14:21 -0600, "Tiger Lily" > wrote:

>found a recipe!
>
>http://www.lifescan.com/care/recipes.../banana_bread/

Yeah, but:

Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
Carbohydrates (g) 21
Proteins (g) 3.5
Fats (g) 3.3
Calories 126

12 serves to the recipe, a serve is one slice.

I can think of lots of better ways to use up 21 gm of carbs from my
daily ration.

And I used to add butter or marg to the slice back in my pre-diagnosis
days, so that would also eat into my fat ration.

YMMV

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Tiger Lily

oh but Alan.......
just ONCE in a blue moon...... ONE slice just for me where i don't have to
feel guilty!! with 1/2 the sugar content and what 2/3 the carb content of
the real thing???

i bet you get a good slice for that serving size :-0

--

"Alan" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:14:21 -0600, "Tiger Lily" > wrote:
>
> >found a recipe!
> >
> >http://www.lifescan.com/care/recipes.../banana_bread/

> Yeah, but:
>
> Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
> Carbohydrates (g) 21
> Proteins (g) 3.5
> Fats (g) 3.3
> Calories 126
>
> 12 serves to the recipe, a serve is one slice.
>
> I can think of lots of better ways to use up 21 gm of carbs from my
> daily ration.
>
> And I used to add butter or marg to the slice back in my pre-diagnosis
> days, so that would also eat into my fat ration.
>
> YMMV
>
> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

Alan

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:56:22 -0600, "Tiger Lily" > wrote:

>oh but Alan.......
>just ONCE in a blue moon...... ONE slice just for me where i don't have to
>feel guilty!! with 1/2 the sugar content and what 2/3 the carb content of
>the real thing???
>
>i bet you get a good slice for that serving size :-0

My "once in a blue moon" is reserved for my Mississippi mud cake.

I'll hunt up the recipe. Instant heart attack. I think it was about 2000
carbs and a kg of oil to the slice. Just a slight exaggeration, although
if I post the recipe you may not think so.

I suspect a teaspoon of it would fix most hypos.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Tiger Lily

oh nice..... a recipe i can drool over but only have one tiny piece of!!!!
i see something that hubby gets to cook with me avoiding the kitchen, but
*I* get the first bite off the end of the pie cut! :-)

"Alan" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:56:22 -0600, "Tiger Lily" > wrote:
>
> >oh but Alan.......
> >just ONCE in a blue moon...... ONE slice just for me where i don't have

> >feel guilty!! with 1/2 the sugar content and what 2/3 the carb content of
> >the real thing???
> >
> >i bet you get a good slice for that serving size :-0

> My "once in a blue moon" is reserved for my Mississippi mud cake.
>
> I'll hunt up the recipe. Instant heart attack. I think it was about 2000
> carbs and a kg of oil to the slice. Just a slight exaggeration, although
> if I post the recipe you may not think so.
>
> I suspect a teaspoon of it would fix most hypos.
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

REC Banana Bread Doug Freyburger General Cooking 1 24-04-2010 03:34 AM
Banana Nut Bread Lee[_17_] Baking 2 28-01-2010 09:22 PM
Banana Bread kilikini General Cooking 45 02-07-2007 05:02 PM
Banana Bread Eleanor Creighton Recipes (moderated) 0 23-02-2007 12:02 AM
Banana Bread [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-02-2004 01:27 AM