Old 30-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Banana Bread

I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering which
recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5 bunches
of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.

Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out there?
And how different they all are?

I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.

kili

Old 30-06-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

My experience with banana bread or banana cake recipes is that there's a
trade-off. The ones the most intense banana flavor tend to be moist,
dense, and pudding-like, not quite making it as a cake. The ones that
have the nicest, richest, cakiest crumb, lack banana. For the best
compromises, I like the recipe in Silver Palate for a banana cake that
succeeds as a cake and is wonderful with cream cheese icing, and I like
the Joy of Cooking recipe for going a little stronger on the bananas. I
give poor marks to the Laurel's Kitchen recipe for being too dense and
not cakey enough.

--Lia

Old 30-06-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering

which
recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5

bunches
of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.

Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out

there?
And how different they all are?

I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.

kili

=================
I love this recipe for Banana Bread. I have tested many different recipes
and this has always been my favorite. I think it is the sour milk in it
that makes it so good.

My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients

1 Cup White Sugar

cup Crisco oil or Canola Oil

2 Eggs

1 Tablespoon Sour Milk (milk with a little vinegar in will do)

Teaspoon Salt

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda

3 or 4 Very Ripe Bananas

1 Teaspoon Vanilla

2 Cups Flour

Chopped Walnuts (Optional

Directions

Cream the sugar and shortening well. Add the eggs and beat together. Mix
the sour milk and baking soda together and add to egg mixture. Mix well.
Add the salt, mashed bananas and walnuts. Before adding the bananas, mash
them with a potato masher; not a beater. Add the flour and mix only to
moisten; do not beat.

Put batter into a greased loaf pan and let set for 15 minutes before you
bake. Put in a 375 degree oven and bake for about one hour. It will have
a crack down through the middle and be nice and brown when it is done. Test
for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out dry
and clean then it is done. If it comes out with some batter on it let it
bake a little longer. Testing is important, as it is hard to tell when it
is finished baking.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

pfoley wrote:
"kilikini" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to keep a file called banana bread and log
each and every recipe that comes in. Slowly, I'm going to try them all and
critique them, I swear. This one sounds really moist.

kili

Old 01-07-2007, 12:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering

which
recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5

bunches
of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.

Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out

there?
And how different they all are?

I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.

I've always had the best luck with recipes that use buttermilk. And I
always use bananas that are so ripe they are more like a sticky goop than a
banana. The skins are completely black. I did this trick over the
holidays: I took some banana liqueur and drizzled a nice half-ounce onto
each loaf. Then I wrapped them in plastic wrap and a couple days later they
were incredibly good. Very moist and full of flavor. OK, maybe it was a
crutch, but it sure tasted good.

Paul

Old 01-07-2007, 12:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"kilikini" wrote in message
[...]

One more trick, while the loaves are cooling but still warm, rub them with
some butter and let it melt in. Then sprinkle a touch of powdered sugar
onto them. The sugar will melt but it will form a nice sweet layer on top
that really complements the bread.

Paul

Old 01-07-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"kilikini" wrote in message
[...]

LOL, I'll have to remember that! Thanks, Paul. :~)

kili

Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

"kilikini" wrote in message
[...]

Aha! I've never heard of this one. Sounds like a good tip! Thanks.

kili

Old 01-07-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:21:01 -0400, "kilikini"
wrote:

I want to hear your favorites

Anyone who submits...will INSIST their's is the best.

Close your eyes and put your finger on a google search. It will be
the best.

Oh....and put those extra bananas in the freezer. They will turn
black but boy, they are good in a month or so after you try all the
recipes that are recommended.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:55:32 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
wrote:

One more trick, while the loaves are cooling but still warm, rub them with
some butter and let it melt in.

My favorite "trick" is to prepare pans but instead of dusting with
flour, dust the pans with granulated sugar. Kind of makes a crispy
crust.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering
which
recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5
bunches
of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.

Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out
there?
And how different they all are?

I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.

kili

Here's my family's favorite recipe, adapted from my Better Homes & Gardens
New Cookbook. This makes a very dense, moist bread; topped with some
whipped cream cheese it's heavenly!

Banana Coffee Bread

1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use extra light olive oil)
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 or 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed (about 1 cup, but a little extra won't
necessitate any recipe adjustments)
1 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325F. Cream oil and sugar until well blended. Add eggs
and beat well. Stir in banana. Sift together dry ingredients and add to
banana mixture; mix well. Spray 9"x5"x3" loaf pan with non-stick spray;
pour in mixture. Bake 40-50 minutes, or until tester inserted in center
comes out clean.

I've also done these in disposable foil mini-pans to give as little holiday
gifts. Bake the mini-pans for about 35 minutes at 325F.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering
which
recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5
bunches
of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.

Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out
there?
And how different they all are?

I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.

kili

-= Exported from BigOven =-

My Favorite Banana Bread

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 2
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Family

-= Ingredients =-
1 1/2 c Flour
1/2 ts Baking soda
1 1/2 ts Baking powder
1 ts Salt
2 ts Orange rind ; grated
2 Egg
1/4 c Oil
1 c Bananas
1/2 c Milk
1 c Sugar

-= Instructions =-
Sift first 5 ingredients, combine remaining ingredients, stir into dry
mix, bake at 350 for 50 minutes in a greased lined loaf pan. From : Helen
Peagram
Note: Nuts can be added.

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Helen
in

Old 01-07-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Banana Bread

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed bananas (6-8 bananas)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. In
a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and
mashed bananas until well blended. Add the flour, baking soda and salt,
and stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in
preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into
center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10
minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I want to hear your favorites

Anyone who submits...will INSIST their's is the best.

Close your eyes and put your finger on a google search. It will be
the best.

Oh....and put those extra bananas in the freezer. They will turn
black but boy, they are good in a month or so after you try all the
recipes that are recommended.

I'm not kili, nor do I play her on t.v.
That's a great idea Ward. I freeze bananas also and use them frozen
when making smoothies.

Koko
---
---
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 6/17

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-07-2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered 100 million times, but I was wondering which
recipe for banana bread was your absolute favorite? We picked up 5 bunches
of over-ripe bananas today at the produce market for $.75 total. I'm
wanting banana bread and I can't find my mom's recipe.

Yes, I did the Google. Do you have ANY idea how many recipes are out there?
And how different they all are?

I want to hear your favorites. No holds barred. Bring them on, please.

kili

I know it's not banana bread, but how about some banana ice cream with
some of your find?

We had a baked alaska last night made with banana ice cream that was
really yummy. There were sliced bananas arranged on the plate that were
a bit caramelized too.

I have no recipe to offer on either count, sorry. I think I've used the
recipe in my Betty Crocker cookbook for banana bread most often.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***

REC Banana Bread Doug Freyburger General Cooking 1 24-04-2010 03:34 AM
REC Banana Bread pavane[_3_] General Cooking 0 23-04-2010 09:34 PM
Banana Nut Bread Lee[_17_] Baking 2 28-01-2010 09:22 PM
Banana Bread Eleanor Creighton Recipes (moderated) 0 23-02-2007 12:02 AM
Banana Bread [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-02-2004 01:27 AM