Jolene GJ

Default Source for Chocolate Please

Can anyone recommend a diabetic Chocolate substitute?

I have found that Old Fashioned 'NO-BAKE' cookies (yes, the ones' we made
in second grade) do not spike my BG's. I'm sure it's because of the peanut
butter
and uncooked oatmeal. I'd like to make them with sugar-free or Splenda
sweetened
Chocolate.

Thanks,
Jolene

Julie Bove

"Jolene GJ" > wrote in message
> Can anyone recommend a diabetic Chocolate substitute?
>
> I have found that Old Fashioned 'NO-BAKE' cookies (yes, the ones' we made
> in second grade) do not spike my BG's. I'm sure it's because of the

peanut
> butter
> and uncooked oatmeal. I'd like to make them with sugar-free or Splenda
> sweetened
> Chocolate.

I eat real chocolate. You can get some that has artificial sweeteners in it,
but frankly, I think they taste awful. If they contain sweeteners ending in
"ol", they probably have just as many carbs as sugar and they can also cause
a laxative effect. I'm not sure what kind of cookies you are referring to.
I've never made any cookies in 2nd grade or otherwise that used uncooked
oatmeal. I do remember making some no-bake cookies, but I believe they
called for graham crackers and sweetened condensed milk. You might try
using unsweetened chocolate to your recipe and adding Splenda to taste.
Don't know if that will work or not.

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Jmmbear

In article >, "Julie Bove"
> writes:

>"Jolene GJ" > wrote in message
>> Can anyone recommend a diabetic Chocolate substitute?
>>
>> I have found that Old Fashioned 'NO-BAKE' cookies (yes, the ones' we made
>> in second grade) do not spike my BG's. I'm sure it's because of the

>peanut
>> butter
>> and uncooked oatmeal. I'd like to make them with sugar-free or Splenda
>> sweetened
>> Chocolate.

>I eat real chocolate. You can get some that has artificial sweeteners in it,
>but frankly, I think they taste awful. If they contain sweeteners ending in
>"ol", they probably have just as many carbs as sugar and they can also cause
>a laxative effect. I'm not sure what kind of cookies you are referring to.
>I've never made any cookies in 2nd grade or otherwise that used uncooked
>oatmeal. I do remember making some no-bake cookies, but I believe they
>called for graham crackers and sweetened condensed milk. You might try
>using unsweetened chocolate to your recipe and adding Splenda to taste.
>Don't know if that will work or not.
>
>--
>Type 2

There is a great recipe for chocolate oatmeal cookies that you dont bake.. You
actually melt the chocolate etc on the stove, add in the uncooked oatmeal and
then plop them by spoonfulls on wax paper.. If they dont harden up right away,
you scrape them back into the pot and heat it up for a minute or two and try
again. These are the only cookies my mother sent overseas to Vietnam when my
brother was there.. They dont spoil.. They will last forever.. By the time they
got to my brother they could be eaten with a spoon, but they all loved them
just the same.. I hadnt thought of trying them... something to think about..
Thanks.
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/160/120
Demetri Durram

Jolene GJ wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a diabetic Chocolate substitute?
>
> I have found that Old Fashioned 'NO-BAKE' cookies (yes, the ones' we made
> in second grade) do not spike my BG's. I'm sure it's because of the peanut
> butter
> and uncooked oatmeal. I'd like to make them with sugar-free or Splenda
> sweetened
> Chocolate.

Hi Jolene,

Like Julie Bove says, there is always 'real' chocolate!

I have found that, over regular milk chocolate, the high cocoa content
(70% and over) tastes absolutely fantastic, slightly bitter, very grown
up and dare I say sexy :-) What's more I find that I don't have to eat
that much to get that satisfying feeling of contentment that only
chocolate can give and it doesn't effect my BG reading too much when
taken in moderation, say half a dozen small squares.

As for cooking, Walmart/ASDA in the UK stock a Belgian 75% variety made
under the brad of 'Supercook' and for taste and low BG effect, that and
the Green & Black's Organic Dark 70% are both stunning.

I too would stay clear of the artificially sweetened varieties on moral
grounds if nothing else.

When you find, enjoy!

--
Demetri

Dx July 2003
Met 500
Ramapril 2.5
Escitalopram 10 :-) pills

Phil

Thorntons chocolate in the UK.

It tastes really amazing. They even do sort of chocolate box chocolates for
special occasions.
They also sell on-line.

http://www.thorntons.co.uk/catalog.asp?cat=2547

Enjoy,