FoodBanter.com

-   -   Nopales (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/133403-nopales.html)

percy 26-08-2007 09:02 AM

Nopales

Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
have tips and/or recipes they want to share?

Vicki

Janet Wilder[_1_] 26-08-2007 02:36 PM

Nopales

percy wrote:
> Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
> have tips and/or recipes they want to share?
>
> Vicki

Prickly pear fruit are "tunas" Nopales are the peeled and sliced leaves.
IIRC, the nopales are low in carbs, but the fruit is sweet. I can't
find a carb count for prickly pears on USDA, but I'd treat one like an
apple.

JMHO.

Nopales are great cooked in your scrambled eggs.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

DesertHare[_2_] 26-08-2007 04:01 PM

Nopales

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> percy wrote:
>> Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
>> have tips and/or recipes they want to share?
>>
>> Vicki

> Prickly pear fruit are "tunas" Nopales are the peeled and sliced leaves.
> IIRC, the nopales are low in carbs, but the fruit is sweet. I can't find a
> carb count for prickly pears on USDA, but I'd treat one like an apple.
>
> JMHO.
>
> Nopales are great cooked in your scrambled eggs.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Try he 1 cup is 14 carbs and 5.4 fiber
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Janet Wilder[_1_] 27-08-2007 12:26 AM

Nopales

DesertHare wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> percy wrote:
>>> Prickly pear fruit are on special next week three for a buck. Anybody
>>> have tips and/or recipes they want to share?
>>>
>>> Vicki

>> Prickly pear fruit are "tunas" Nopales are the peeled and sliced leaves.
>> IIRC, the nopales are low in carbs, but the fruit is sweet. I can't find a
>> carb count for prickly pears on USDA, but I'd treat one like an apple.
>>
>> JMHO.
>>
>> Nopales are great cooked in your scrambled eggs.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
>> Good Friends. Good Life