Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default bean salad recipe

If you can include and tolerate some beans in your diet, this is a very
tasty one to try.

Lima Bean Salad

1 bag, 1 lb frozen lima beans ( approximately 3 cups )
1 sm red onion finely chopped
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 bunch fresh parsley chopped
1/4 cup chopped green or black olives
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 garlic cloves minced
8 oz feta cheese crumbled or as desired
Salt and Pepper to taste if needed

This colorful and tasty salad goes well with grilled meats and fish.

Cook beans to pkg directions and drain and cool. Combine remaining
ingredients except cheese. Add lima beans and feta cheese. Mix to blend.
Taste for seasoning Chill very well.
Yield 6 servings

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
> If you can include and tolerate some beans in your diet, this is a very
> tasty one to try.
>

> Lima Bean Salad
>

> 1 bag, 1 lb frozen lima beans ( approximately 3 cups )
> 1 sm red onion finely chopped
> 2 cups chopped tomatoes
> 1/2 bunch fresh parsley chopped
> 1/4 cup chopped green or black olives
> 1 tsp dried oregano
> 1/2 cup olive oil
> 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
> 2 garlic cloves minced
> 8 oz feta cheese crumbled or as desired
> Salt and Pepper to taste if needed
>

> This colorful and tasty salad goes well with grilled meats and fish.
>
> Cook beans to pkg directions and drain and cool. Combine remaining
> ingredients except cheese. Add lima beans and feta cheese. Mix to blend.
> Taste for seasoning Chill very well.
> Yield 6 servings

This recipe sounds like it would work well with those little frozen
whole green beans, the ones like haricots vert (sp). Less carbs.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" > wrote in message

> Lima beans are way too starchy for moi.

I can eat one with no problem.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn Ruut" > wrote in message

> Those are my favorites too (the flat cut italian style green beans).
> Hard to find sometimes though, and only frozen, never even seen the fresh
> ones.

I could get the fresh ones in NY, seemingly all the time and here on
occasion. Alas, I'm the only one who likes them. Daughter will only eat
canned green beans. They were one of her first foods and still a favorite.
I made fresh green beans tonight because I had them in my produce box. I
knew she wouldn't eat them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn Ruut" > wrote in message
>
>> Those are my favorites too (the flat cut italian style green beans).
>> Hard to find sometimes though, and only frozen, never even seen the fresh
>> ones.

> I could get the fresh ones in NY, seemingly all the time and here on
> occasion. Alas, I'm the only one who likes them. Daughter will only eat
> canned green beans. They were one of her first foods and still a
> favorite. I made fresh green beans tonight because I had them in my
> produce box. I knew she wouldn't eat them.

Try them with the recipe I just posted... cooked with tomatoes and garlic
and onion. They are really tasty that way.

--
Best Regards,

Evelyn

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn Ruut" > wrote in message

> Try them with the recipe I just posted... cooked with tomatoes and garlic
> and onion. They are really tasty that way.

I don't like garlic, but the rest sounds good.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:15:45 -0400, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
>> Lima Bean Salad
>>

>> 1 bag, 1 lb frozen lima beans ( approximately 3 cups )
>> 1 sm red onion finely chopped
>> 2 cups chopped tomatoes
>> 1/2 bunch fresh parsley chopped
>> 1/4 cup chopped green or black olives
>> 1 tsp dried oregano
>> 1/2 cup olive oil
>> 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
>> 2 garlic cloves minced
>> 8 oz feta cheese crumbled or as desired
>> Salt and Pepper to taste if needed
>>

>This recipe sounds like it would work well with those little frozen
>whole green beans, the ones like haricots vert (sp). Less carbs.

A neighbour has got a glut of purple French beans at the moment
(yaaay!), which go wonderfully in a similar recipe, which I serve hot.

Amazingly, they go green when cooked, then start to turn back to
purple if cooled! Magic beans : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > wrote:

: >Joan and Papillons: Cosmo & Midge wrote:
: >> Lima Bean Salad
: >>
: >>
[...]

Bury 3 in the back yard and see if a giant beenstallk grow, but watch out
for the giant! He won't like it if you steal his goose that lays the
golden eggs:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:28:17 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
> wrote:

>Bury 3 in the back yard and see if a giant beenstallk grow, but watch out
>for the giant! He won't like it if you steal his goose that lays the
>golden eggs:-)
>
>Wendy

No room! After doing nothing all summer, the spaghetti squash has
exploded! At last count, there were 17 little squashes growing, and
loads more flowers! I can see me making myself less than popular with
all the neighbours who are currently keeping me supplied with purple
beans and yellow zucchini : )

Nicky.
T2 dx 05/04 + underactive thyroid
D&E, 100ug thyroxine
Last A1c 5.6% BMI 25
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nicky" > wrote in message

> A neighbour has got a glut of purple French beans at the moment
> (yaaay!), which go wonderfully in a similar recipe, which I serve hot.
>
> Amazingly, they go green when cooked, then start to turn back to
> purple if cooled! Magic beans : )

I didn't know they'd go back to purple when cool. We bought some a couple
of years ago and Angela was sooo upset when they turned green. Next time I
get them, I will cool them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article <%d7zi.4073$6h3.3325@trndny05>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Nicky" > wrote in message
>
> > A neighbour has got a glut of purple French beans at the moment
> > (yaaay!), which go wonderfully in a similar recipe, which I serve hot.
> >
> > Amazingly, they go green when cooked, then start to turn back to
> > purple if cooled! Magic beans : )

> I didn't know they'd go back to purple when cool. We bought some a couple
> of years ago and Angela was sooo upset when they turned green. Next time I
> get them, I will cool them.

Maybe some varieties of purple beans revert to purple when they cool.
But the ones I grow in my garden certainly don't. I planted from a mix,
so I have yellow, purple, and green. The yellow ones stay yellow when
cooked (and cooled). The purple ones go green. When they cool, they look
*slightly* different from the green ones, but it's just two shades of
green.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."