Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REQ: Green Bean Salad Recipe

Becca, thanks everso. It sounds like Grandma Miller adapted the hot salad recipe in a way she
liked. I think a small amount of sour cream might be what I was missing. I will give it a try.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/2014 8:19 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Becca, thanks everso. It sounds like Grandma Miller adapted the hot salad recipe in a way she
> liked. I think a small amount of sour cream might be what I was missing. I will give it a try.
>
> N.

Nancy, I am keeping my fingers crossed, I hope your green bean salad
turns out well. My mother made this using Italian green beans, and it
tasted good to me. She was not German, but my father was.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca, after I posted the request, I remembered Grandma Miller usually made the salad with wax beans,
not green beans.

I have made it "on the wing" before, just using milk, and it turned out alright...but am going to add a dollop
of sour cream to see what that does.

I used to have a little booklet of German recipes, from our Amana Colonies area, and there were some pretty
strange recipes in it......about 3/4 of them used bread in some form.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/1/2015 6:04 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
> Becca, after I posted the request, I remembered Grandma Miller usually made the salad with wax beans,
> not green beans.
>
> I have made it "on the wing" before, just using milk, and it turned out alright...but am going to add a dollop
> of sour cream to see what that does.
>
> I used to have a little booklet of German recipes, from our Amana Colonies area, and there were some pretty
> strange recipes in it......about 3/4 of them used bread in some form.
>
> N.

That salad should be great with wax beans.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 11:35:27 -0600, Becca EmaNymton
> wrote:

>On 1/1/2015 6:04 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> Becca, after I posted the request, I remembered Grandma Miller usually made the salad with wax beans,
>> not green beans.
>>
>> I have made it "on the wing" before, just using milk, and it turned out alright...but am going to add a dollop
>> of sour cream to see what that does.
>>
>> I used to have a little booklet of German recipes, from our Amana Colonies area, and there were some pretty
>> strange recipes in it......about 3/4 of them used bread in some form.

>That salad should be great with wax beans.

During winter when I don't have beans from my garden I prepare like a
six bean salad with canned, sometimes could be ten different cans;
green, wax, red kidney, white kidney, pinto, garbonzo, niblets are
good too... diced onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, whatever else I
feel like... then a dressing of olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice,
various herbs, s n'p, and marinate in fridge for 2-3 days. I'll end
up with about a gallon worth. Sometimes I'll add cubed cheeze/salami
when served, good on lettuce leaves, can be served with flaked tuna,
hard boiled eggs too. It's very easy, tastes good, and will keep in
the fridge until all eaten, a week or so. I don't think I'd like it
with dairy dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks, Shel, but I am aware of various multi-bean salad recipes, and the one I requested
wasn't intended to be the same in any way. I wouldn't care for a many-bean salad with dairy
dressing, either.

N.