Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default REC: SPICY SICHUAN-STYLE SHRIMP

SPICY SICHUAN-STYLE SHRIMP

Preparation time: 25 minutes Cooking time: 5 minutes
Sichuan cooking is popular throughout China, and in recent years,
adventurous Chinese restaurant diners have discovered how delicious it
can be. This is one of the best known dishes from that area.

1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
2 tablespoon finely chopped scallions
1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined

For the sauce:
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons chili bean sauce
2 teaspoons Chinese black vinegar or cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Splenda
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Cilantro sprigs, to garnish (optional)

1. Heat a wok over high heat. Add the oil, and when it is very hot and
slightly smoking, add the ginger, garlic, and scallions.

2. Stir-fry for 20 seconds, then add the shrimp. Stir-fry the shrimp for
about 1 minutes.

3. Add the sauce ingredients and continue to stir-fry for another 3
minutes over a high heat. Serve at once.

Makes 4 servings.
Gourmet Magazine

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default SPICY SICHUAN-STYLE SHRIMP

Jennifer wrote:

> 2 teaspoons chili bean sauce

Any idea what sub you could use for this? I haven't come
across chili bean sauce that i am aware of.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It's also called Chili Bean Paste.

Here's what it looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Kum-CHILI-.../dp/B00024445G

This is from an Asian foods website:

chile bean paste = chili bean paste = chili bean sauce = chilli bean
sauce = bean paste with chili = hot bean paste

Notes: This reddish-brown sauce is made from fermented soybeans and hot
chilies. It's very hot. Regional versions include Sichuan hot bean
paste = Szechuan hot bean paste, and Korea's kochu chang = kochujang.

Substitutes: bean sauce + chile paste OR bean sauce + chopped chile peppers

Jennifer

Ozgirl wrote:

> Jennifer wrote:
>

>>2 teaspoons chili bean sauce

> Any idea what sub you could use for this? I haven't come
> across chili bean sauce that i am aware of.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Jennifer wrote:
> It's also called Chili Bean Paste.
>
> Here's what it looks like:

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Kum-CHILI-.../dp/B00024445G

> This is from an Asian foods website:
>
> chile bean paste = chili bean paste = chili bean sauce =

chilli bean
> sauce = bean paste with chili = hot bean paste
>
> Notes: This reddish-brown sauce is made from fermented

soybeans and
> hot chilies. It's very hot. Regional versions include

Sichuan hot
> bean
> paste = Szechuan hot bean paste, and Korea's kochu chang =

kochujang.

> Substitutes: bean sauce + chile paste OR bean sauce +

chopped chile
> peppers
>
> Jennifer
>

> Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> Jennifer wrote:
>>

>>>2 teaspoons chili bean sauce

>> Any idea what sub you could use for this? I haven't come
>> across chili bean sauce that i am aware of.

Thanks, I will probably look at the Asian store.

Spicy Eggs Country Style [email protected] General Cooking 1 25-06-2012 05:08 PM
Spicy Shrimp JTF General Cooking 2 22-03-2008 03:26 AM
Sichuan Shrimp and Scallion Stir-Fry Jenifer Milton Recipes (moderated) 0 13-11-2007 09:00 AM
Spicy Baked Shrimp Felice Friese Recipes (moderated) 0 03-01-2006 07:40 PM
Spicy Japanese-style Mayonnaise [email protected] Asian Cooking 19 26-07-2004 03:17 AM