Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Default Egg Cracker Wanted.

I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.

--
----------------------------------
Patrick D. Rockwell

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote in message
. net...
> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> ----------------------------------
> Patrick D. Rockwell

I have always used the back of a spoon. Any advantage to a specialized
cracker?

--
Peter Aitken

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.

You mean a table knife? ;-)

--
Steve
An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain. (I think I know
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote:
> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.

Do you mean the types normally used for soft boiled eggs? I've got two tools
that I use for soft boiled eggs, but I don't know if they are suitable for
hard boiled eggs.

One might be like what you describe. It works by placing the tool on top of
the egg in the egg cup, pulling the knob up with one hand while holding the
tool on the egg with the other hand, then letting go of the knob. If done
right, the tool leaves a clean crack around the top of the egg shell. If
done incorrectly, the egg is smashed (with soft boiled eggs). Though I
didn't get it at Bridge Kitchenware, they sell exactly the same thing I got
some years ago. Mine was not near as expensive, but prices keep going up.
Here's the one I got:
http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/mor...roduct_ID=2343

They also sell one more of the scissors type, that cuts the top off:
http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/mor...roduct_ID=2342

The second tool I have is really a scissors type, which I got at Sur La
Table years ago. I don't like it anywheres near as much as the first one.
Here is the second one I have:
http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...m?PRRFNBR=2942

Hope this helps.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> ----------------------------------
> Patrick D. Rockwell

Flashbacks.....we had one of those as kids. Between that and the egg
cup, it made soft-boiled eggs fun. I loved pulling up the little handle
and then letting it go....DOINK!.....and your egg's top is open. I
have no idea where Mom go it , though,so I'm no help!

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Hi. Thanks, but I was just looking for something that I'd use to tap
the side of the egg, like a hammer. The utensil would just be
ONE piece. A spoon or knife would do, but I was wondering
if there was a specific utensil out there for the job. I'm sure that
there is.

--
----------------------------------
Patrick D. Rockwell
"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> "Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote:
>> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
>> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
>> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
>> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
>> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.

> Do you mean the types normally used for soft boiled eggs? I've got two
> tools that I use for soft boiled eggs, but I don't know if they are
> suitable for hard boiled eggs.
>
> One might be like what you describe. It works by placing the tool on top
> of the egg in the egg cup, pulling the knob up with one hand while holding
> the tool on the egg with the other hand, then letting go of the knob. If
> done right, the tool leaves a clean crack around the top of the egg shell.
> If done incorrectly, the egg is smashed (with soft boiled eggs). Though I
> didn't get it at Bridge Kitchenware, they sell exactly the same thing I
> got some years ago. Mine was not near as expensive, but prices keep going
> up. Here's the one I got:
> http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/mor...roduct_ID=2343
>
> They also sell one more of the scissors type, that cuts the top off:
> http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/mor...roduct_ID=2342
>
> The second tool I have is really a scissors type, which I got at Sur La
> Table years ago. I don't like it anywheres near as much as the first one.
> Here is the second one I have:
>
> http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...m?PRRFNBR=2942
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Patrick D. Rockwell wrote:
> Hi. Thanks, but I was just looking for something that I'd use to tap
> the side of the egg, like a hammer. The utensil would just be
> ONE piece. A spoon or knife would do, but I was wondering
> if there was a specific utensil out there for the job. I'm sure that
> there is.

There may be, my question is why? <confused>

--
Steve
An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain. (I think I know
some people like that) ;-)
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>

>>>Hi. Thanks, but I was just looking for something that I'd use to tap
>>>the side of the egg, like a hammer. The utensil would just be
>>>ONE piece. A spoon or knife would do, but I was wondering
>>>if there was a specific utensil out there for the job. I'm sure that
>>>there is.
>>>

>>There may be, my question is why? <confused>

> as Alton Brown says, avoid unitaskers. If the spoon will do, then why
> not the spoon?

Dunno, that's what I asked. ;-)

--
Steve
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote in message
. net...
> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> ----------------------------------
> Patrick D. Rockwell

It would only be any good if it could be linked to a digital to analog
converter so that you could control it from software on your computer. A
small but significant side benefit of this system is that you can
statistically analyse your egg cracking to determine the optimum force and
angle to set the cracker without leaving the keyboard.

David

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote in message
. net...
> egg cracker?

From Germany
http://www.udig.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop...gesamt_zeilen=

They say they ship worldwide.

But for hard boiled eggs why go to the trouble? I just use a pot strainer
to dump the hot water out of the pan, then refill pan with cold water, dump
that out, then shake shake shake the pan to crack. Shells then peel off
nicely under running water.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

HiTech RedNeck wrote:

>"Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote in message
.net...

>> egg cracker?
>>

>From Germany
>http://www.udig.de/cgi-bin/cosmoshop...gesamt_zeilen=
>
>They say they ship worldwide.
>
>But for hard boiled eggs why go to the trouble? I just use a pot strainer
>to dump the hot water out of the pan, then refill pan with cold water, dump
>that out, then shake shake shake the pan to crack. Shells then peel off
>nicely under running water.

Gott in Himmel! Talk about German precision engineering, that has to be
the ultimate gadget, I love it!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

This has baffled me too. For a soft boiled egg I use a spoon although my
husband slices the top off with a knife. For hard boiled eggs, I roll them
on the kitchen counter and this cracks the shell and loosens it so that it
peels off easily. Sometimes I think people try to complicate what should be
simple procedures. Also I have an aversion to buying implements that only
do one thing and take up valuable space when they're not used often.

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>>There may be, my question is why? <confused>

>> as Alton Brown says, avoid unitaskers. If the spoon will do, then why
>> not the spoon?
>>

> Dunno, that's what I asked. ;-)
>
> --
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote:

> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.

Why not just use the blunt end of a butter knife?
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Patrick D. Rockwell" > wrote in message
. net...
> I've only seen these on tv, (not ads) so, I was just wondering, where
> could I buy an egg cracker? I mean one that's like a little hammer
> or metal rod, NOT one that's like a pair of scissors. Just a simple
> one piece egg cracker that taps the hard boiled egg open while it
> is sitting in the egg cup. Thanks in advance.
>
> Patrick D. Rockwell

Why bother? I just use the back of a spoon then use it to lift off the top.

Dora