Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Thermador products reliability

Built-in oven and hood problems.

When I purchased my Thermador products, they gave the appearance of
being made to commercial (if not military) standards. Not so. These
are the most fragile kitchen appliances I have ever used. These units
were purchased in September of 2003.

With my oven (model C 301 Z5) I have had repeated problems with it
giving an F54 error code which is accompanied by a repeated beeping of
an alarm. The only way to silence this alarm is to turn off the
circuit breaker. It is rather embarrassing to have to leave my
guests, in the middle of a dinner party, to turn off the breaker. I
have called the service technician twice, and he replaced a circuit
board, both times. The problem persists.

My hood (model PHE 42 US) has failed completely - no fan and no
halogen lights. The problem is doubtless a fuse on the controller's
circuit board. What could be simpler than to have 1) a user
accessible fuse holder and 2) simple on/off and/or rotary switches to
control the lights and the fan. I think that electronics are great (I
used to make my living at it.), but having a controller on a circuit
board to turn a motor and some lights on and off is a silly way to
design a product.