Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Sanitation and glass pot lids ...

We got our first saute pan with a glass lid and weren't at all happy
with it (we needed an extra 10" and picked up a cheap non-stick).

Condensation and splatter collects around the edge under the metal
rim and it sure doesn't look like there's any effective way to be
sure it's ever cleaned out.

How do folks cope with this? Our solution was to throw the lid away
and use a metal one from another pan.

What's the attraction of glass lids anyway? They're heavy, can break,
and once you start cooking, you can't see much through them anyway.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Bert Hyman wrote:
> We got our first saute pan with a glass lid and weren't at all happy
> with it (we needed an extra 10" and picked up a cheap non-stick).
>
> Condensation and splatter collects around the edge under the metal
> rim and it sure doesn't look like there's any effective way to be
> sure it's ever cleaned out.
>
> How do folks cope with this? Our solution was to throw the lid away
> and use a metal one from another pan.
>
> What's the attraction of glass lids anyway? They're heavy, can break,
> and once you start cooking, you can't see much through them anyway.

I much prefer glass to metal. I replaced my SS lids with all
glass. Added a couple of universal lids with adjustable
vents on the top as well. Break? shoot, maybe if you drop
'em on concrete from about 10 feet. I like them because I
can see through them. Of course it depends on what you're
cooking but chances are if you're using a lid you actually
*want* the condensation happening. If you're going to sauté
you wouldn't want the lid in the first place.

As for cleaning, right into the dishwasher.

--
Steve
No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 02 Mar 2006 14:00:32 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:

>How do folks cope with this? Our solution was to throw the lid away
>and use a metal one from another pan.

I use mostly all-glass lids, so don't have that problem.

>What's the attraction of glass lids anyway? They're heavy, can break,
>and once you start cooking, you can't see much through them anyway.

You can always see through them except for the first minute or so when steam is
condensing. My main use is in monitoring the boil/simmer rate of liquids.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I love Scanpan and they come with glass lids and I think they're great as
you can see what's happening without lifting the lid. I thought I'd be
worried about breakage but have never had a problem. Their lids are all
glass and there is no area where food can accumulate so no problems there.
The whole lot goes in the dishwasher and it does a good job.

"Bert Hyman" > wrote in message
> We got our first saute pan with a glass lid and weren't at all happy
> with it (we needed an extra 10" and picked up a cheap non-stick).
>
> Condensation and splatter collects around the edge under the metal
> rim and it sure doesn't look like there's any effective way to be
> sure it's ever cleaned out.
>
> How do folks cope with this? Our solution was to throw the lid away
> and use a metal one from another pan.
>
> What's the attraction of glass lids anyway? They're heavy, can break,
> and once you start cooking, you can't see much through them anyway.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Glass lids are not a bad option when it comes to selecting a lid,
however, as with every product out there some are better than others.
A good glass lid should be one solid piece of tempered glass, with the
exception of the handle. Having a metal band around the lid does
provide a breeding ground for bacteria. The best glass lids I have
come across are from Scanpan and from Swiss Diamond. Both are heat
resistant and oven safe, but the Swiss Diamond lids also have a vent
option in the handle.

Chef Dom
www.DominicsKitchenStore.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 02 Mar 2006 14:00:32 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:

>We got our first saute pan with a glass lid and weren't at all happy
>with it (we needed an extra 10" and picked up a cheap non-stick).
>
>Condensation and splatter collects around the edge under the metal
>rim and it sure doesn't look like there's any effective way to be
>sure it's ever cleaned out.
>
>How do folks cope with this? Our solution was to throw the lid away
>and use a metal one from another pan.
>
>What's the attraction of glass lids anyway? They're heavy, can break,
>and once you start cooking, you can't see much through them anyway.

Seems to me you're being a bit AR. Much of the "crud" build up at the
edges of these lids is simply mineral etching and not some horrible
bacteria filled crud that will contaminate your food.

If you really need to feel as if you are "doing something" about it,
use a toothbrush and a non-scratch scouring powder.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:12:08 -0800, Bjorn Fedderiksen
> wrote:

>On 02 Mar 2006 14:00:32 GMT, Bert Hyman > wrote:
>
>>We got our first saute pan with a glass lid and weren't at all happy
>>with it (we needed an extra 10" and picked up a cheap non-stick).
>>
>>Condensation and splatter collects around the edge under the metal
>>rim and it sure doesn't look like there's any effective way to be
>>sure it's ever cleaned out.
>>
>>How do folks cope with this? Our solution was to throw the lid away
>>and use a metal one from another pan.
>>
>>What's the attraction of glass lids anyway? They're heavy, can break,
>>and once you start cooking, you can't see much through them anyway.

>Seems to me you're being a bit AR. Much of the "crud" build up at the
>edges of these lids is simply mineral etching and not some horrible
>bacteria filled crud that will contaminate your food.
>
>If you really need to feel as if you are "doing something" about it,
>use a toothbrush and a non-scratch scouring powder.

I think she'd die if she ever saw a restaurant's cooking utensils.

------------
There are no atheists in foxholes
or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
game.
____

Cape Cod Bob

Delete the two "spam"s for email

I just dropped one of my Anchor Hocking glass bowls w/glass lids onthe floor John Kuthe[_3_] General Cooking 2 05-02-2016 05:21 PM
Le Creuset Recalls Glass Lids Due to Laceration Hazard ItsJoanNotJoann General Cooking 0 25-02-2011 02:16 AM
Lids For Canadian canners. Was: Lids in bulk Kathi Jones Preserving 1 20-05-2009 03:48 PM
Glass Lids udok Cooking Equipment 1 01-12-2005 03:07 AM
Cast Iron - Lids: Iron or Glass? Richard M. Kennedy General Cooking 4 07-03-2005 10:26 PM