Posted to rec.food.equipment
Jaclyn

Default Best material for baking cakes/cookies/muffins

(I already posted this question to rec.food.baking but figured that I
should post it here too.)

It's me again - the newbie who's getting married and planning her
wedding registry. I like to cook and bake, but since I still live
with my parents, I have only used my mom's equipment, a lot of which is
non-stick. I'd like to get something uncoated, so it's a little more
durable/long-lasting, and I don't mind if it takes more elbow grease to
keep clean.

I keep reading differing opinions (both in books and online) about
whether aluminum or stainless steel is best for bakeware. Right now I am
trying to decide between a few different sets of bakewere for
cakes/cookies/muffins/etc.

Nordicware seems to have a lot of nice aluminum things, and they all
have lids, which appeals to me because I can store them in the same
container I bake them in. I'm a bit concerned that one review mentioned
that the items are thin metal with sharp edges (although the other
reviews are positive):

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=453578
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=304660
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=304653
http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...ClassNo=2 402

Chicago Metallic also seems to have some nice things, made from
aluminized steel (can anyone tell me what this is, and how it compares
to using stainless steel or plain aluminum?):

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112090
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112041
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112062
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112069
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112076

Chicago Metallic also has a jellyroll pan made out of heavy-gauge steel:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=197497

Lastly, I found a brand called Gourmet Standard, who makes stainless
steel items:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=107697&RN=111

So I'm basically trying to decide between these three brands: one
aluminum, one aluminized steel, and one stainless steel. Right now I am
only an occasional baker, although I will be doing a lot more in the
kitchen once I get married. If anyone can give me any advice on how to
decide, or any pros/cons of each type of material, I would really
appreciate it.

-Jaclyn
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Jaclyn" > wrote in message
> (I already posted this question to rec.food.baking but figured that I
> should post it here too.)
>
> It's me again - the newbie who's getting married and planning her wedding
> registry. I like to cook and bake, but since I still live with my
> parents, I have only used my mom's equipment, a lot of which is non-stick.
> I'd like to get something uncoated, so it's a little more
> durable/long-lasting, and I don't mind if it takes more elbow grease to
> keep clean.
>
> I keep reading differing opinions (both in books and online) about whether
> aluminum or stainless steel is best for bakeware. Right now I am trying to
> decide between a few different sets of bakewere for
> cakes/cookies/muffins/etc.

I hate to state the obvious, but since you are reading "differing opinions
....." you are going to continue to read differing opinions. There won't be
anything that changes the fact that people have different opinions and that
they will post them. There isn't a bakeware pope who is considered
infallible or another absolute authority on the subject of bakeware. MIT
doesn't have a bakeware department. Take a risk and buy a couple of sheet
pans and make up your own mind. Also, don't go out and buy a set of
bakeware. Get what you need. Build your set over time. I doubt that most
people have a matching set of bakeware. Decide what you are going to make
the most and get appropriate bakeware.

Most people will probably need a half-sheet pan, a couple of 8" or 9" inch
cake pans, a couple of loaf pans, a 9" x 13" in pan, a muffin tin, a tube
pan, and a couple cooling racks. You might add a 9" spring form pan and/or
a bundt pan. Don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff unless you are sure you
will use the pieces. When it comes down to buying the items, you will find
that you won't have a choice of materials for some. They don't make SS
bundt pans or tube pans that I know of. I've never seen a SS springform
pan. That leaves your sheet and cake pans. I have never seen a SS cake pan
at a baking supply store. I doubt that people here who work in commercial
bakeries use stainless steel pans. If you want to spend the cash for a SS
cake pan then it is up to you. You could do worse things with the money.

We all waste money in some way or another and you may be blessed with
abundance, so spending $80 on a cake pan may not make a dent in your bank
balance. That said, SS is a poor heat conductor so you won't be buying
functionality in your SS bakeware, but people buy things for a variety of
reasons. Some people buy status, others buy for health, some buy beauty,
and the rest of us look for function. One philosophy isn't necessarily
better than the next but your purchasing habits become more rational if you
can figure out your motivation.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Karen

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Jaclyn" > wrote in message
>
>>(I already posted this question to rec.food.baking but figured that I
>>should post it here too.)
>>
>>It's me again - the newbie who's getting married and planning her wedding
>>registry. I like to cook and bake, but since I still live with my
>>parents, I have only used my mom's equipment, a lot of which is non-stick.
>>I'd like to get something uncoated, so it's a little more
>>durable/long-lasting, and I don't mind if it takes more elbow grease to
>>keep clean.
>>
>>I keep reading differing opinions (both in books and online) about whether
>>aluminum or stainless steel is best for bakeware. Right now I am trying to
>>decide between a few different sets of bakewere for
>>cakes/cookies/muffins/etc.

> I hate to state the obvious, but since you are reading "differing opinions
> ...." you are going to continue to read differing opinions. There won't be
> anything that changes the fact that people have different opinions and that
> they will post them. There isn't a bakeware pope who is considered
> infallible or another absolute authority on the subject of bakeware. MIT
> doesn't have a bakeware department. Take a risk and buy a couple of sheet
> pans and make up your own mind. Also, don't go out and buy a set of
> bakeware. Get what you need. Build your set over time. I doubt that most
> people have a matching set of bakeware. Decide what you are going to make
> the most and get appropriate bakeware.
>
> Most people will probably need a half-sheet pan, a couple of 8" or 9" inch
> cake pans, a couple of loaf pans, a 9" x 13" in pan, a muffin tin, a tube
> pan, and a couple cooling racks. You might add a 9" spring form pan and/or
> a bundt pan. Don't go out and buy a bunch of stuff unless you are sure you
> will use the pieces. When it comes down to buying the items, you will find
> that you won't have a choice of materials for some. They don't make SS
> bundt pans or tube pans that I know of. I've never seen a SS springform
> pan. That leaves your sheet and cake pans. I have never seen a SS cake pan
> at a baking supply store. I doubt that people here who work in commercial
> bakeries use stainless steel pans. If you want to spend the cash for a SS
> cake pan then it is up to you. You could do worse things with the money.
>
> We all waste money in some way or another and you may be blessed with
> abundance, so spending $80 on a cake pan may not make a dent in your bank
> balance. That said, SS is a poor heat conductor so you won't be buying
> functionality in your SS bakeware, but people buy things for a variety of
> reasons. Some people buy status, others buy for health, some buy beauty,
> and the rest of us look for function. One philosophy isn't necessarily
> better than the next but your purchasing habits become more rational if you
> can figure out your motivation.

Jaclyn, Vox is right on the money. Buy pieces as you need them. To
start off with, though, I HIGHLY recommend you get three aluminum
half-sheet pans and maybe one quarter-sheet pan from a restaurant supply
place. They are so versatile!! I bake cookies on them (using a
silicone baking mat. Silpat is one brand name and is even available at
Wal-mart now. I highly recommend getting at least two baking mats.). I
also use them to roast vegetables; put under a pie that might bubble
over; can be used as a jelly-roll pan, etc. The quarter-sheet isn't
absolutely necessary but I find it comes in handy if you only have a few
biscuits or cookies to bake at a time. But, since these are not
expensive at all, why not have one on hand.

You don't have to spend much on things like cake pans or bread pans
either (unless, of course, you want to). Case in point: just last
Friday I baked my daughter her first birthday cake in a couple of cheap
(and I mean CHEAP - bottom of the line stuff from Wal-Mart) nine inch
round cake pans and the cake turned out perfectly. I also have some
el-cheapo loaf pans that I have made some excellent banana bread in.
Quite frankly, most of my bake ware is cheaper end stuff but it all
works wonderfully. If you want more expensive stuff, that's ok. Just
know you won't necessarily get markedly better results. It may just be
better looking.

Good luck!
Karen B.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Vox Humana

"Karen" > wrote in message

> Jaclyn, Vox is right on the money. Buy pieces as you need them. To
> start off with, though, I HIGHLY recommend you get three aluminum
> half-sheet pans and maybe one quarter-sheet pan from a restaurant supply
> place. They are so versatile!! I bake cookies on them (using a silicone
> baking mat. Silpat is one brand name and is even available at Wal-mart
> now. I highly recommend getting at least two baking mats.). I also use
> them to roast vegetables; put under a pie that might bubble over; can be
> used as a jelly-roll pan, etc. The quarter-sheet isn't absolutely
> necessary but I find it comes in handy if you only have a few biscuits or
> cookies to bake at a time. But, since these are not expensive at all, why
> not have one on hand.

I agree with this. If the OP has access to a warehouse club like Costco,
she can find good prices on half-sheet pans. I have three and I use them
more than anything else. The club store often have them packaged in sets of
two or three; sometimes with cooling racks and/or lids. Heavy is the key
word. A heavy aluminum pan will be a good conductor of heat without hot
spots and it won't warp in a hot oven. I also use my Silpat for roasting
vegetables and under meatloaf, etc. In fact, I seldom use Silpat for normal
baking needs but use parchment instead. Parchment is worthless under foods
that exude liquid or when there is a lot of sticky, caramelized liquid.
Silpat is far better.

Banned

That's what cshenk keeps telling me. So far, I've yet to find any.