Posted to rec.food.baking
Jaclyn

Default best material for baking cakes/cookies/muffins

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this board. I'm getting married this summer and am
planning our wedding registry (although depending on which store(s) we
end up registering at, I may just buy some of our cookware/bakeware
myself). I like to cook and bake, but since I still live with my
parents, I have only used my mom's equipment, a lot of which is
non-stick. I'd like to get something uncoated, so it's a little more
durable/long-lasting, and I don't mind if it takes more elbow grease to
keep clean.

I keep reading differing opinions (both in books and online) about
whether aluminum or stainless steel is best for bakeware. Right now I am
trying to decide between a few different sets of bakewere for
cakes/cookies/muffins/etc.

Nordicware seems to have a lot of nice aluminum things, and they all
have lids, which appeals to me because I can store them in the same
container I bake them in. I'm a bit concerned that one review mentioned
that the items are thin metal with sharp edges (although the other
reviews are positive):

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=453578
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=304660
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=304653
http://www.cooking.com/products/shpr...ClassNo=2 402

Chicago Metallic also seems to have some nice things, made from
aluminized steel (can anyone tell me what this is, and how it compares
to using stainless steel or plain aluminum?):

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112090
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112041
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112062
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112069
http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=112076

Chicago Metallic also has a jellyroll pan made out of heavy-gauge steel:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=197497

Lastly, I found a brand called Gourmet Standard, who makes stainless
steel items:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...=107697&RN=111

So I'm basically trying to decide between these three brands: one
aluminum, one aluminized steel, and one stainless steel. Right now I am
only an occasional baker, although I will be doing a lot more in the
kitchen once I get married. If anyone can give me any advice on how to
decide, or any pros/cons of each type of material, I would really
appreciate it.

-Jaclyn
Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Jaclyn" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie to this board. I'm getting married this summer and am
> planning our wedding registry (although depending on which store(s) we end
> up registering at, I may just buy some of our cookware/bakeware myself). I
> like to cook and bake, but since I still live with my parents, I have only
> used my mom's equipment, a lot of which is non-stick. I'd like to get
> something uncoated, so it's a little more durable/long-lasting, and I
> don't mind if it takes more elbow grease to keep clean.

Stainless is not a good heat conductor. It is fine for cookware when it is
sandwiched with aluminum, but you don't need tri-ply bakeware. Therefore, I
think the best bakeware is aluminum - heavy aluminum that is uncoated.
Don't spend a fortune on All Clad stainless bakeware, etc. As for cleaning,
bakeware shouldn't be hard to clean. Use parchment or Silpat to line your
bakeware and you won't have to scrub. Use a generous amount of shortening
and/or flour on your pans and/or line them with parchment. They will wipe
clean. The problem with registering for bakeware is that department stores
and discount stores either offer obscenely expensive or very cheap bakeware.
I get my cake pans from the cake supply store and my sheet pans from Costco.
Places like Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table have a limited selection and
high prices. You will find a far larger selection of sizes and shapes at a
baking supply store. The quality will be better and the prices will be
moderate. Take a look at the pans from Sugarcraft to get an idea:
www.sugarcraft.com

Posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Vox Humana wrote:

> Stainless is not a good heat conductor. It is fine for cookware when it is
> sandwiched with aluminum, but you don't need tri-ply bakeware. Therefore, I
> think the best bakeware is aluminum - heavy aluminum that is uncoated.
> Don't spend a fortune on All Clad stainless bakeware, etc. As for cleaning,
> bakeware shouldn't be hard to clean. Use parchment or Silpat to line your
> bakeware and you won't have to scrub. Use a generous amount of shortening
> and/or flour on your pans and/or line them with parchment. They will wipe
> clean. The problem with registering for bakeware is that department stores
> and discount stores either offer obscenely expensive or very cheap bakeware.
> I get my cake pans from the cake supply store and my sheet pans from Costco.
> Places like Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table have a limited selection and
> high prices. You will find a far larger selection of sizes and shapes at a
> baking supply store. The quality will be better and the prices will be
> moderate. Take a look at the pans from Sugarcraft to get an idea:
> www.sugarcraft.com

Thanks for the tips. I am in need of replacing mine as well. I have a
mish-mash of terrible things, and really need to do something
differently.

Any good, inexpensive source for silpat? Last time I looked it was
really pricey.
-L.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Vox Humana wrote:
>>
>> Stainless is not a good heat conductor. It is fine for cookware when it
>> is
>> sandwiched with aluminum, but you don't need tri-ply bakeware.
>> Therefore, I
>> think the best bakeware is aluminum - heavy aluminum that is uncoated.
>> Don't spend a fortune on All Clad stainless bakeware, etc. As for
>> cleaning,
>> bakeware shouldn't be hard to clean. Use parchment or Silpat to line
>> your
>> bakeware and you won't have to scrub. Use a generous amount of
>> shortening
>> and/or flour on your pans and/or line them with parchment. They will
>> wipe
>> clean. The problem with registering for bakeware is that department
>> stores
>> and discount stores either offer obscenely expensive or very cheap
>> bakeware.
>> I get my cake pans from the cake supply store and my sheet pans from
>> Costco.
>> Places like Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table have a limited selection and
>> high prices. You will find a far larger selection of sizes and shapes at
>> baking supply store. The quality will be better and the prices will be
>> moderate. Take a look at the pans from Sugarcraft to get an idea:
>> www.sugarcraft.com

> Thanks for the tips. I am in need of replacing mine as well. I have a
> mish-mash of terrible things, and really need to do something
> differently.
>
> Any good, inexpensive source for silpat? Last time I looked it was
> really pricey.

I wish I could find cheap Silpat, but so far it seems that the prices are
fixed by what Silpat charges. I only have a couple and I only use them when
I really need them. In most cases I use parchment. I get a pack of 50 full
sheet pan liners at GFS Marketplace (Gordon Food Service) for about $3.
They are folded over a half-sheet sized cake board in a plastic package. I
cut through the sheets with a razor blade where they are folded (down the
spine) without removing them from the package. That make a dispenser
package of 100 half-sheet parchment sheets for $3 which lasts me at least 6
months. I use them as-is for sheet pans and cut them to line other pans.
They are really convenient and make clean-up a snap. When the package is
empty, I have a cake board as a bonus!

Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

Vox Humana wrote:

> I wish I could find cheap Silpat, but so far it seems that the prices are
> fixed by what Silpat charges. I only have a couple and I only use them when
> I really need them. In most cases I use parchment. I get a pack of 50 full
> sheet pan liners at GFS Marketplace (Gordon Food Service) for about $3.
> They are folded over a half-sheet sized cake board in a plastic package. I
> cut through the sheets with a razor blade where they are folded (down the
> spine) without removing them from the package. That make a dispenser
> package of 100 half-sheet parchment sheets for $3 which lasts me at least 6
> months. I use them as-is for sheet pans and cut them to line other pans.
> They are really convenient and make clean-up a snap. When the package is
> empty, I have a cake board as a bonus!

I just bought a silicone sheet - dark blue - for $4.50 in one of those
supermarket aisle-cluttering displays. It doesn't have the fiberglass
matrix for the silicone, but at that price, who cares. It's a flexible
sheet of silicone that fits a half-sized sheet pan. I bought mine at
either Kroger or Food Lion (it was a very, very busy day...).

It worked as well as the Silpat.

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Vox Humana wrote:
> > really pricey.

> I wish I could find cheap Silpat, but so far it seems that the prices are
> fixed by what Silpat charges. I only have a couple and I only use them when
> I really need them. In most cases I use parchment. I get a pack of 50 full
> sheet pan liners at GFS Marketplace (Gordon Food Service) for about $3.
> They are folded over a half-sheet sized cake board in a plastic package. I
> cut through the sheets with a razor blade where they are folded (down the
> spine) without removing them from the package. That make a dispenser
> package of 100 half-sheet parchment sheets for $3 which lasts me at least 6
> months. I use them as-is for sheet pans and cut them to line other pans.
> They are really convenient and make clean-up a snap. When the package is
> empty, I have a cake board as a bonus!

Cool - I will look for them! I keep asking for silpat as a present but
no one gets the hint...
-L.