Kilowatt

Default Viking reignitors reigniting when they shouldn't be

I originally posted this in rec.food.cooking and was refrered to this group.

I hope this is the correct group for a query such as this if not could
someone point me in the right direction.

We have a Viking 30in VGIC(that has been working fine for about three years,
this symptom appeared in the last two weeks) and when we turn on the right
front burner the
right rear and left rear ignitors keep clacking(reigniting). The RF works
fine, ignites the gas, and we get a nice flame. This symptom only occurs on
the RF. The LF work fine. The LR lights fine but it does fire the RR ignitor
ONCE. The RR works fine.

Basically we can get all the burners to light correctly but the RF causes
itself and two other ignitors to fire.

I've looked at the wiring diagram but it doesn't really help as the
reignitor circuitry is in a "black box" anyway. Right know that's where I'm
guessing the failure is occuring but I don't know under what conditions the
reignitor circuit asks the ignitor to fire.

Can anyone explain how the reignitor circuit knows when to fire the ignitor?

Any suggestions, I am pretty experinced with troubleshooting simple
electronic/electrical circuits?

Thanks,
Greg

Charles Demas

In article > ,
Kilowatt > wrote:
>I originally posted this in rec.food.cooking and was refrered to this group.
>
>I hope this is the correct group for a query such as this if not could
>someone point me in the right direction.
>
>We have a Viking 30in VGIC(that has been working fine for about three years,
>this symptom appeared in the last two weeks) and when we turn on the right
>front burner the
>right rear and left rear ignitors keep clacking(reigniting). The RF works
>fine, ignites the gas, and we get a nice flame. This symptom only occurs on
>the RF. The LF work fine. The LR lights fine but it does fire the RR ignitor
>ONCE. The RR works fine.
>
>Basically we can get all the burners to light correctly but the RF causes
>itself and two other ignitors to fire.
>
>I've looked at the wiring diagram but it doesn't really help as the
>reignitor circuitry is in a "black box" anyway. Right know that's where I'm
>guessing the failure is occuring but I don't know under what conditions the
>reignitor circuit asks the ignitor to fire.
>
>Can anyone explain how the reignitor circuit knows when to fire the ignitor?
>
>Any suggestions, I am pretty experinced with troubleshooting simple
>electronic/electrical circuits?

I believe that it requires the gas knob to be turned on, and
that there is insufficient heat (indicating no flame) at
the burner/sensor.

On commercial gas ovens I believe that the igniter must be
powered to fire before the gas is allowed to flow. These
ovens only have one ignitor, which makes turning on and off
the gas much less complicated.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd

: We have a Viking 30in VGIC(that has been working fine for about three years,
: this symptom appeared in the last two weeks) and when we turn on the right
: front burner the
: right rear and left rear ignitors keep clacking(reigniting). The RF works
: fine, ignites the gas, and we get a nice flame. This symptom only occurs on
: the RF. The LF work fine. The LR lights fine but it does fire the RR ignitor
: ONCE. The RR works fine.

Cleanup the burner and ignitor really good, most likely you had a
boilover or spilled something on it. My Viking does this occassionally
as well.
Kilowatt

Guys thanks for the replies...I'll clean the burners and the igniters and
see what happens.

Thanks again,
Greg

Member

Location: Newport Beach, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilowatt
Guys thanks for the replies...I'll clean the burners and the igniters and
see what happens.

Thanks again,
Greg
I have the exact same problem with my range. The igniter is actuated by turning the knob, but it is deactivated by a change in current from the heat of the flame in the tube. Once the burner is lit the igniter senses this change in current and shuts off. The technician from Viking said that I don't need to replace the ignitor because it will either work, or will not work. Instead he said to clean all of the electrical contacts and perhaps increase the flame size to send a clearer signal to the ignitor.

Were you able to solve your problem with cleaning?