Arvind Borde

Default Dahlstrom 98 cookware

Does anybody have experience with the Dahlstrom 98 line of pots
from iitala? I'm especially interested in a comparison with other
lines, such as all-clad.

Are there showrooms in New York or Boston that carry the
Dahlstrom 98 line?

Arvind
Vox Humana

"Arvind Borde" > wrote in message
om...
> Does anybody have experience with the Dahlstrom 98 line of pots
> from iitala? I'm especially interested in a comparison with other
> lines, such as all-clad.
>
> Are there showrooms in New York or Boston that carry the
> Dahlstrom 98 line?
>
> Arvind

I hadn't heard of this brand so I did a quick search. It seems very
expensive -- $150 for a 2.5 qt sauce pan (no lid). I question how it could
be better than any other brand of tri-ply cookware? It has a .5mm layer of
SS, a 2.5 mm layer of aluminum, and a .4 mm layer of SS. I'm not sure how
that compares to AC, but I am sure that it is thinner than the core on my
cheap Wolfgang Puck cookware. I just got a 4 qt. WP saucepan, with lid, for
$19.

Seismo Malm

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:46:23 GMT, Vox Humana > wrote:

>"Arvind Borde" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Does anybody have experience with the Dahlstrom 98 line of pots
>> from iitala? I'm especially interested in a comparison with other
>> lines, such as all-clad.
>>
>> Are there showrooms in New York or Boston that carry the
>> Dahlstrom 98 line?
>>
>> Arvind

>I hadn't heard of this brand so I did a quick search. It seems very
>expensive -- $150 for a 2.5 qt sauce pan (no lid). I question how it could
>be better than any other brand of tri-ply cookware? It has a .5mm layer of
>SS, a 2.5 mm layer of aluminum, and a .4 mm layer of SS. I'm not sure how
>that compares to AC, but I am sure that it is thinner than the core on my
>cheap Wolfgang Puck cookware. I just got a 4 qt. WP saucepan, with lid, for
>$19.

Iittala is a manufacturer of pretty expensive designer kitchen cookware.
They manufacture also glassware and ceramics. Price-performance ratio is
poor like with all manufacturers like that (in fact quality is pretty good
but all things are expensive). If you like the looks, can afford them and
looks are important to you it is a choice.

seismo malm (from finland, home country of Iittala)
Vox Humana

"Seismo Malm" > wrote in message
.fi...
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:46:23 GMT, Vox Humana > wrote:
> >
> >"Arvind Borde" > wrote in message
> . com...
> >> Does anybody have experience with the Dahlstrom 98 line of pots
> >> from iitala? I'm especially interested in a comparison with other
> >> lines, such as all-clad.
> >>
> >> Are there showrooms in New York or Boston that carry the
> >> Dahlstrom 98 line?
> >>
> >> Arvind

> >I hadn't heard of this brand so I did a quick search. It seems very
> >expensive -- $150 for a 2.5 qt sauce pan (no lid). I question how it

could
> >be better than any other brand of tri-ply cookware? It has a .5mm layer

of
> >SS, a 2.5 mm layer of aluminum, and a .4 mm layer of SS. I'm not sure

how
> >that compares to AC, but I am sure that it is thinner than the core on my
> >cheap Wolfgang Puck cookware. I just got a 4 qt. WP saucepan, with lid,

for
> >$19.
> >

> Iittala is a manufacturer of pretty expensive designer kitchen cookware.
> They manufacture also glassware and ceramics. Price-performance ratio is
> poor like with all manufacturers like that (in fact quality is pretty good
> but all things are expensive). If you like the looks, can afford them and
> looks are important to you it is a choice.

Agreed. However, there is very little that one can do to a pan to make a
designer statement. They looked pretty generic to me one the websites where
they were sold.

Seismo Malm

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:51:18 GMT, Vox Humana > wrote:

>"Seismo Malm" > wrote in message
p.fi...
>> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 01:46:23 GMT, Vox Humana > wrote:
>> >
>> >"Arvind Borde" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>> >I hadn't heard of this brand so I did a quick search. It seems very
>> >expensive -- $150 for a 2.5 qt sauce pan (no lid). I question how it

>could
>> >be better than any other brand of tri-ply cookware? It has a .5mm layer

>of
>> >SS, a 2.5 mm layer of aluminum, and a .4 mm layer of SS. I'm not sure

>how
>> >that compares to AC, but I am sure that it is thinner than the core on my
>> >cheap Wolfgang Puck cookware. I just got a 4 qt. WP saucepan, with lid,

>for
>> >$19.
>> >

>> Iittala is a manufacturer of pretty expensive designer kitchen cookware.
>> They manufacture also glassware and ceramics. Price-performance ratio is
>> poor like with all manufacturers like that (in fact quality is pretty good
>> but all things are expensive). If you like the looks, can afford them and
>> looks are important to you it is a choice.
>>

>Agreed. However, there is very little that one can do to a pan to make a
>designer statement. They looked pretty generic to me one the websites where
>they were sold.

Pretty much true. Most of scandinavian design is plain&simple. Dahlstrom
line is designed by Björn Dahlström. Searching the net with search phrase
"Björn Dahlström" will produce lots of links to stuff he has designed.

Btw, the only Iittala pot I am going to purchase is the Sarpaneva cast
iron pot (see www.iittala.com > Preparing > Sarpaneva). Price-performance
ratio is again pretty poor (it costs here something like 160 euros and
similar size [and better performance) Le Creuset about 100 euros) but I
like its looks and someday it will be discounted in the factory outlet
store...

I have Meda chef's knife, it's not bad but looks were again important when
I purchased it.

seismo malm

Seismo Malm

On 3 Mar 2004 08:21:16 -0800, Arvind Borde > wrote:
(Seismo Malm) wrote in message p.fi>...
>> Pretty much true. Most of scandinavian design is plain&simple. Dahlstrom
>> line is designed by Björn Dahlström.

>Determining what's good design and what's not is somewhat subjective.
>I like the look of the Dahlstrom line, but others may not. I'm still looking,
>though, for samples of these pots so that I can gauge for myself how
>well they are made.
>
>> I have Meda chef's knife, it's not bad but looks were again important when
>> I purchased it.

>Is this the line with the blue handles? What are the handles made of?
>
>Arvind

I don't know the material, it is very dark blue plastic. It might be
POM-plastic (at least it feels like it) and the handle fits my hand very
well. The blade is quite thick and heavy, very good for making reindeer stew
(the meat is sliced semi-frosen for that dish) etc. .

seismo malm

I need new cookware sf[_9_] General Cooking 88 19-11-2010 05:09 PM
New Cookware! gloria.p General Cooking 0 21-08-2010 12:03 AM
Cookware again Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 13 22-08-2008 02:37 PM
Cookware Lillly General Cooking 11 27-11-2004 12:15 AM
Has Anyone Tried this Cookware? Gini Cooking Equipment 4 05-12-2003 10:23 PM