Dave Griffin

Default Decorative Copper and protective finishes

I've bought some copper from the local World Market. I has a warning
that you should remove the lacquer finish before using it for cooking.
They say this even for the decorative little copper sun face that
isn't even something you'd use for shipping.

Now two of the pieces I have bought -- a salt and pepper shaker pair
looks as if it's stainless on the inside (not copper). Do I need to
remove the lacquer to use it for salt and pepper? I'd rather leave it
on to make it easier to care for.

The teapot likewise looks like an unfinished metal inside (not
copper). Is there any reason to remove the lacquer for that either?
You WOULD put it on a burner so the bottom would get heat.

I'd appreciate some advice before I sentence myself to a lot of future
copper polishing. Thanks.
Jack Denver

Anything you would heat such as a kettle you must remove the lacquer or it
will bake on , look unsightly (like a brown varnish) and be hell to remove
later. The outside of the saltshakers I think you can leave alone.

"Dave Griffin" > wrote in message
om...
> I've bought some copper from the local World Market. I has a warning
> that you should remove the lacquer finish before using it for cooking.
> They say this even for the decorative little copper sun face that
> isn't even something you'd use for shipping.
>
> Now two of the pieces I have bought -- a salt and pepper shaker pair
> looks as if it's stainless on the inside (not copper). Do I need to
> remove the lacquer to use it for salt and pepper? I'd rather leave it
> on to make it easier to care for.
>
> The teapot likewise looks like an unfinished metal inside (not
> copper). Is there any reason to remove the lacquer for that either?
> You WOULD put it on a burner so the bottom would get heat.
>
> I'd appreciate some advice before I sentence myself to a lot of future
> copper polishing. Thanks.

Wayne Boatwright

Michael Harp > wrote in
:

> Almost certainly, the interiors are tin lined. As for the lacquer,
> others here have advised to use various solvents. You might do a
> search to find out...

You needn't bother to remove the lacquer on the S&P. Anything else, if
used on or in heat must have the lacquer removed, else it will burn on and
be very difficult to remove/clean. Depending on the type of "lacquer",
some manfacturers recommend boiling the entire copper piece in baking soda
water. Others may require solvent.

Wayne
Dave Griffin

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message news:
> You needn't bother to remove the lacquer on the S&P. Anything else, if
> used on or in heat must have the lacquer removed, else it will burn on and
> be very difficult to remove/clean. Depending on the type of "lacquer",
> some manfacturers recommend boiling the entire copper piece in baking soda
> water. Others may require solvent.
>
> Wayne

Thanks very much for your advice. The actual kettle recommends Behr
Stripper. Is that what I should use or should I use baking soda as
I've seen online? And should I only remove the bottom part of the
kettle's protection or need I remove the whole thing?