Posted to rec.food.equipment
mikehende

Default Anyone know about this outdoor stove?

I am looking for a stove that's similar to this one I saw on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

but the one I have in mind does not have the cast iron housing that
surrounds it and also has 2 flat brass looking levers whereby each lever
controls 1 burner so you can adjust the inside [smaller] burner's flame
differently than the the outside burner.

Does anyone know of the burner I am speaking about? If so, any leads
where/how I might find it please? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Joe Doe

In article
outcooking.com>,
"mikehende" > wrote:

> I am looking for a stove that's similar to this one I saw on Ebay
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&sspage name=
> STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
>
> but the one I have in mind does not have the cast iron housing that
> surrounds it and also has 2 flat brass looking levers whereby each lever
> controls 1 burner so you can adjust the inside [smaller] burner's flame
> differently than the the outside burner.
>
> Does anyone know of the burner I am speaking about? If so, any leads
> where/how I might find it please? Thanks.

This unit has 3 independently controlled burner rings and goes from 2000
BTU to 60,000 BTU.

http://www.bigjohngrills.com/60I.html

Roland
Posted to rec.food.equipment
mikehende

Thanks, that certainly looks good but I found the stove I was seeking, it
is called a "Wing Propane stove" [Model no.40] and can be found here

http://members.aol.com/pkam1998/morestov.htm

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Joe Doe

In article
outcooking.com>,
"mikehende" > wrote:

> Thanks, that certainly looks good but I found the stove I was seeking, it
> is called a "Wing Propane stove" [Model no.40] and can be found here
>
> http://members.aol.com/pkam1998/morestov.htm

Looks nice, what do these burners cost? Do you know anything specific
about this particular brand i.e. what made you seek it out?

It looks like this is only a burner. How do you plan on housing and
installing it?

Roland
Posted to rec.food.equipment
mikehende

With shipping, it costs around $50 or so. I've grown accustomed to seeing
this particular stove every now and then at people's homes in the summer
and at camping grounds e.t.c. What I really like about this unit is it has
some power [44,000btu's] but because each burner has it's own independent
flame control, you can cut back as low as you wish, also, if you are
cooking a small pot then you can use either the center burner alone or
include the one in the middle and leave out the end burner, this way you
only use whatever's necessary.

The only minor problem I see with this burner is it does not have any
"wind" protection but you can always get a makeshift housing for it or
make your own with a piece of sheet metal and surround the entire burner
to block out all the wind. A friend of mine told me last night that he
thinks he saw this exact burner but with both a stand and wind protection
housing at Home Depot so you can check there if interested.

Seeing that this is for "portable" use, I do not need anything permanent
as far as installing and housing goes. I will have a makeshift wind
protector and a portable folding stand for whenever I should need them.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Joe Doe

In article
outcooking.com>,
"mikehende" > wrote:

> With shipping, it costs around $50 or so. I've grown accustomed to seeing
> this particular stove every now and then at people's homes in the summer
> and at camping grounds e.t.c. What I really like about this unit is it has
> some power [44,000btu's] but because each burner has it's own independent
> flame control, you can cut back as low as you wish, also, if you are
> cooking a small pot then you can use either the center burner alone or
> include the one in the middle and leave out the end burner, this way you
> only use whatever's necessary.

Thanks for filling in the gaps. This looks like an excellent high
powered burner for anybody who can live with it outdoors. I really
like seeing things like this because it gives the common Joe or Jane a
really good alternative to $$$$ stoves for high heat cooking. From my
own experience with similar units, I can say with pretty high confidence
that on the pure performance angle these low tech burners beat the pants
of any high heat burner targeted for a home kitchen at any price. They
have their own shortcomings (must use outdoors, relatively ugly
etc.etc.) but from a purely functional angle are hard to beat.

Roland