Dee Randall

Default Flat Whisk Uses?

What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?

I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite figure out
the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend it?

thanks.
Dee

Fred

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?
>
> I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite figure

out
> the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend it?
>
> thanks.
> Dee

It's called a "roux" whisk in the business. It is used to whisk sauces that
are made in a saucepan with straight sides. It makes it easier to get into
the corner between the side and bottom.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Dave

"Dee Randall" > wrote in
:

> What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?
>
> I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite
> figure out the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend
> it?

I use mine all the time for making sauces in a straight sided sauce pan, or
saute pan. Works very very well. A regular wisk works fine for a sauce pan
with rounded sides.

Remsleep

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?
>
> I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite figure

out
> the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend it?

You can have my flat whisk when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Great for making gravies, pan sauces, and roux, and for stirring heavy
purees and mashes. Will lift out poached eggs or other items from liquid in
a pinch.

The mini-flat whisk beloved of the luscious Nigella is very handy for small
quantities of sauce, vinaigrette, egg, etc. I haven't found one in the
States, except for a rather too feminine looking model with La Lawson's
branding, although they are easily found in Europe.

Remsleep

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 19:02:23 GMT, "Remsleep" >
wrote:

>"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?
>>
>> I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite figure

>out
>> the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend it?
>>

>You can have my flat whisk when you pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Too funny: my mother received one of these from my godmother when she
got married in 1960. I now have it, and yes, it's going to my grave
with me.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

> What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?
>
> I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite
> figure out the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend
> it?

> thanks.
> Dee

A flat whisk is a must for "Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate
Brownies."

I also have a miniature one for mixing a starch/water slurry in a glass
or cup.
--
-Barb
12-28-03: Tourtiere picture added to my site: <www.jamlady.eboard.com>
B.Server

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:15:38 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> wrote:

>What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?
>
>I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite figure out
>the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend it?
>
>thanks.
>Dee

I would imagine one virtue being that when you set it down, the
blasted thing does not roll off on its own, strewing roue as it
goes...

Of course that never happens to me.

Brian Macke

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:16:44 +0000, B.Serve wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:15:38 -0500, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:

>>What is the flat whisk "mainly" used for?

At this point I think of my flat whisks as "whisks" and the round/ball
ones as "egg whisks" since I don't use the round ones for anything except
eggs. That's not 100% accurate either since I'll sometimes put eggs in a
long and tall vessel and use the spin flat whisk to stir up the eggs. I
really only use the round ones when I want the protein chains to get nice
and long.

>>I've seen it used in some of the cooking shows, but I can't quite figure
>>out the advantages. Has someone used it? Would you recommend it?

> I would imagine one virtue being that when you set it down, the blasted
> thing does not roll off on its own, strewing roue as it goes...

I don't even take mine out of the pot. I just set it up in the middle of
the pan when I need a rest or need to take care of something else. You
have to be careful that it doesn't get too hot, but most things that need
a whisk aren't going to heat up a whisk that fast.

--
-Brian James Macke
"In order to get that which you wish for, you must first get that which

flat whisk sf[_9_] General Cooking 0 05-02-2014 04:23 PM
flat whisk sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 05-02-2014 07:55 AM
flat whisk sf[_9_] General Cooking 28 30-01-2014 06:50 AM
Which Whisk is Which? sf[_3_] General Cooking 7 22-01-2008 04:37 AM
How to make rotis (Indian flat bread), paratha (layered flat bread), and other Indian breads... Amanda General Cooking 3 01-01-2007 07:23 PM