RF

Default food processor advice

My 20 year old Cuisinart food processor just died. I have found over the
years that I got it out less and less often because it was so heavy and a
pain to clean. So I have thought about not replacing it but think I probably
will miss it and need to.

I have also considered getting a small one but don't know if those are
really useful or not.

I have read that Cuisinarts aren't as good as they used to be (is this
true?) and that maybe Kitchenaid is a brand I should look at.

Since I will probably have whatever I buy for many years I was hoping to get
some advice and suggestions before I buy.

Bean

"RF" > wrote in news:1phob.85145$vj2.42110@fed1read06:

> Since I will probably have whatever I buy for many years I was hoping
> to get some advice and suggestions before I buy.

For what it's worth, I have an older Cuisinart DLC7 (the 11 cup one). I
bought it used off Ebay about 5 years ago. It's one of the ones still made
in Japan (I don't think the new ones are). Anyway, I paid $75 for it. It
still works great, and for the amount I use it, it was a good value. You
might try doing the same. You could probably find a used one on Ebay cheap,
since they are often the kinds of things people buy & then never use. There
is some risk invovled, but you may also end up with a good deal.

I wouldn't get a small one. I figure small batches of things can be done by
hand, or with a stick blender. If I want to shred a bunch of cheese, or
make a big batch of hummus, the big one does the trick.

Good luck..
Kate Dicey

RF wrote:

> My 20 year old Cuisinart food processor just died. I have found over the
> years that I got it out less and less often because it was so heavy and a
> pain to clean. So I have thought about not replacing it but think I probably
> will miss it and need to.
>
> I have also considered getting a small one but don't know if those are
> really useful or not.
>
> I have read that Cuisinarts aren't as good as they used to be (is this
> true?) and that maybe Kitchenaid is a brand I should look at.
>
> Since I will probably have whatever I buy for many years I was hoping to get
> some advice and suggestions before I buy.

I love my Magimix. I have the big one (the 5100), but they do come
smaller. They also have mini-bowls for tiny things!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
RF

"Bean" > wrote in message
> "RF" > wrote in news:1phob.85145$vj2.42110@fed1read06:
>

> > Since I will probably have whatever I buy for many years I was hoping
> > to get some advice and suggestions before I buy.

> For what it's worth, I have an older Cuisinart DLC7 (the 11 cup one). I
> bought it used off Ebay about 5 years ago. It's one of the ones still made
> in Japan (I don't think the new ones are). Anyway, I paid $75 for it. It
> still works great, and for the amount I use it, it was a good value. You
> might try doing the same. You could probably find a used one on Ebay

cheap,
> since they are often the kinds of things people buy & then never use.

There
> is some risk invovled, but you may also end up with a good deal.
>
> I wouldn't get a small one. I figure small batches of things can be done

by
> hand, or with a stick blender. If I want to shred a bunch of cheese, or
> make a big batch of hummus, the big one does the trick.
>
> Good luck..

Thanks for the input.

That is the model I have that is wearing out. The top part that locks is
broken and they don't make that style anymore so I would have to buy more
parts to make it work around $60.00 and the base has some stress cracks and
the cord is shot so I was thinking it was probably time to retire it.

RF

Thanks I haven't heard of those will look into it.

"Kate Dicey" > wrote in message
> RF wrote:
> >
> > My 20 year old Cuisinart food processor just died. I have found over the
> > years that I got it out less and less often because it was so heavy and

> > pain to clean. So I have thought about not replacing it but think I

probably
> > will miss it and need to.
> >
> > I have also considered getting a small one but don't know if those are
> > really useful or not.
> >
> > I have read that Cuisinarts aren't as good as they used to be (is this
> > true?) and that maybe Kitchenaid is a brand I should look at.
> >
> > Since I will probably have whatever I buy for many years I was hoping to

get
> > some advice and suggestions before I buy.

> I love my Magimix. I have the big one (the 5100), but they do come
> smaller. They also have mini-bowls for tiny things!
> --
> Kate XXXXXX
> Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
> http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
> Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Bubbalicious

Bean > wrote:

>I wouldn't get a small one. I figure small batches of things can be done by
>hand, or with a stick blender. If I want to shred a bunch of cheese, or
>make a big batch of hummus, the big one does the trick.

....and for cleaning..................NEVER rinse the bowl with hot water after
shredding cheese. Just melts the cheese and makes a mess. Rinse the bowl in
cold water and the cheese just washes out of the bowl.

......oh...and if you believe that your residue will stick in the bowl....a quick
spray of Pam will make everything rinse right out!

YMMV.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
RF

"Bubbalicious" > wrote in message
> Bean > wrote:
>
> >I wouldn't get a small one. I figure small batches of things can be done

by
> >hand, or with a stick blender. If I want to shred a bunch of cheese, or
> >make a big batch of hummus, the big one does the trick.

> ...and for cleaning..................NEVER rinse the bowl with hot water

after
> shredding cheese. Just melts the cheese and makes a mess. Rinse the

bowl in
> cold water and the cheese just washes out of the bowl.
>
> .....oh...and if you believe that your residue will stick in the bowl....a

quick
> spray of Pam will make everything rinse right out!
>

> YMMV.
>

> There are only two ways to live your life.
> One is as though nothing is a miracle.
> The other is as though everything is a miracle.
> Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Good info, thanks

Baldy Cotton

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I have read that Cuisinarts aren't as good as they used to be (is this
>true?) and that maybe Kitchenaid is a brand I should look at.

I bought the larger Kitchenaide for my shop and it has functioned
flawlessly under lots of use by different users.

Dave
Kent H.

I also have an old DLC7 with the cracked bowl, etc. I will probably
spend the money and replace the parts. Food processors, in spite of
their age and use, very rarely have motor failure because their total
time on is relatively small, compared to other appliances. I bought the
smallish black and decker food processor for a small amount of money a
few years ago after it was recommended by CU, and use it more than the
DLC7. The B & D is great for small chopping jobs and it takes up hardly
any space in the dishwasher.
Kent