ELAhrens

Default Looking for a GOOD cheese slicer

I'm looking for a good, quality cheese slicer that can be used for a few
slices at a time. The marble slab with the wire cutter is NOT what I want
unless it's made a lot better than the ones you find a garage sales.

TIA

ELAhrens

Viviane

A sharp knife??

"ELAhrens" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a good, quality cheese slicer that can be used for a few
> slices at a time. The marble slab with the wire cutter is NOT what I want
> unless it's made a lot better than the ones you find a garage sales.
>
> TIA
>
> ELAhrens

---

ELAhrens

Viviane, thank you for sharing your insight and wisdom. I would never
thought of using a SHARP knife. Obviously there is a definite advantage in
using a sharp one vs. a dull one or you wouldn't have mentioned it.
Do you have a recommendation as to brand and type of knife or will any sharp
knife work. What knife do YOU use when slicing, say 12 slices of cheese from
a block when making grilled cheese sandwiches. Do know where I can get one
of these knives cheap?

Waiting in breathless anticipation for your response. BTW, are you a natural
blonde?

Erik Ahrens

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> A sharp knife??
>
> "ELAhrens" > wrote in message
> > I'm looking for a good, quality cheese slicer that can be used for a few
> > slices at a time. The marble slab with the wire cutter is NOT what I

want
> > unless it's made a lot better than the ones you find a garage sales.
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > ELAhrens
> >

> ---

pltrgyst

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:00:30 -0700, "ELAhrens"
> wrote:

>I'm looking for a good, quality cheese slicer that can be used for a few
>slices at a time. The marble slab with the wire cutter is NOT what I want
>unless it's made a lot better than the ones you find a garage sales.

For thin slices, I don't think there's anything that cuts better than
a wire. If you don't like the lever/slab types, or aren't willing to
adjust or replace the wire when necessary, you might try the hand-held
wire/roller slicers. They work very well for standard deli blocks of
american or cheddar.

I find hand-held wires with two handles almost impossible to use for
equally thick slices.

-- Larry

ELAhrens

Larry, the problem I've had with the wire lever/slab slicers is the handle
to tighten the wire with is flimsy. The idea is great but the implementation
(of what I've seen) is substandard, hence my post. If you can point me in
the direction of a quality lever/slab style I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Erik
"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
s.com...
> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:00:30 -0700, "ELAhrens"
> > wrote:
>
> >I'm looking for a good, quality cheese slicer that can be used for a few
> >slices at a time. The marble slab with the wire cutter is NOT what I want
> >unless it's made a lot better than the ones you find a garage sales.

> For thin slices, I don't think there's anything that cuts better than
> a wire. If you don't like the lever/slab types, or aren't willing to
> adjust or replace the wire when necessary, you might try the hand-held
> wire/roller slicers. They work very well for standard deli blocks of
> american or cheddar.
>
> I find hand-held wires with two handles almost impossible to use for
> equally thick slices.
>
> -- Larry

Viviane

It was an attempt at humour. I keep forgetting that the non-English
contributors have no sense of irony.

However, to answer your questions, I don't really have a favourite brand or
type of knife - we've got a set of global knives and they're pretty good. I
cut the cheese with whatever's clean. I can recommend plenty of places in
Australia that sell knives at a good price. Let me know if you want
details.

I don't make a habit of counting the slices of cheese that I cut. I
probably have a few other things happening in my life.

I also confess to preferring sharp over dull knives. They make life that
little bit easier. You've obviously found this too.

Don't forget that sarcasm is the second lowest form of wit. No prizes for
guessing which wit comes first.

Viviane

"ELAhrens" > wrote in message
> Viviane, thank you for sharing your insight and wisdom. I would never
> thought of using a SHARP knife. Obviously there is a definite advantage in
> using a sharp one vs. a dull one or you wouldn't have mentioned it.
> Do you have a recommendation as to brand and type of knife or will any

sharp
> knife work. What knife do YOU use when slicing, say 12 slices of cheese

from
> a block when making grilled cheese sandwiches. Do know where I can get one
> of these knives cheap?
>
> Waiting in breathless anticipation for your response. BTW, are you a

natural
> blonde?
>
> Erik Ahrens
>

> "Viviane" > wrote in message
> > A sharp knife??
> >
> > "ELAhrens" > wrote in message
> > > I'm looking for a good, quality cheese slicer that can be used for a

few
> > > slices at a time. The marble slab with the wire cutter is NOT what I

> want
> > > unless it's made a lot better than the ones you find a garage sales.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > >
> > > ELAhrens
> > >

> > ---

---

pltrgyst

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:40:36 -0700, "ELAhrens"
> wrote:

>Larry, the problem I've had with the wire lever/slab slicers is the handle
>to tighten the wire with is flimsy. The idea is great but the implementation
>(of what I've seen) is substandard, hence my post. If you can point me in
>the direction of a quality lever/slab style I would be most grateful.

I have a good solid one, but I don't know who made it, and it has no
markings.

I think if I really wanted a super-solid one, I'd make my own: take a
piece of wood, pvc, or stone; cut a simple notch in it on the back
side to serve as a lever point (nothing says it has to be hinged); and
stretch a piece of piano wire in place of a blade on a small hacksaw
or coping saw frame. The hacksaw frame would compress, and thus loosen
the wire, much less than other solutions. Rock solid, built-in handle,
perfectly functional -- but probably not pretty. 8

If you'd be happy with hand-guided, you could dispense with the saw
frame altogether and just secure one end of the wire to the underside
of the board, with a standard wire handle at the free end. That should
work well too.

-- Larry