Jean B.

Default Viking Induction

Haa anyone here accrued any information on Viking's new
Induction or Induction/Electric cooktops? Price? Efficacy?
While I like the concept of induction cooking, my Jenn-Air
induction/electric cooktop is very feeble.

For that matter, has anyone got any info on the Sear's Elite
one? Has that even come out yet?

Back to googling...
--
Jean B.
Vox Humana

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Haa anyone here accrued any information on Viking's new
> Induction or Induction/Electric cooktops? Price? Efficacy?
> While I like the concept of induction cooking, my Jenn-Air
> induction/electric cooktop is very feeble.

If anyone could screw-up an induction cooktop, it would be Jenn-Air. It
doesn't look they even make an induction cooktop these days.

Jean B.

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>
>>Haa anyone here accrued any information on Viking's new
>>Induction or Induction/Electric cooktops? Price? Efficacy?
>>While I like the concept of induction cooking, my Jenn-Air
>>induction/electric cooktop is very feeble.
>>

> If anyone could screw-up an induction cooktop, it would be Jenn-Air. It
> doesn't look they even make an induction cooktop these days.

Yeah. I really wanted to try induction, even though I had
read bad things about other Jenn-Air cooktops. I am not
discouraged re induction, but I am discouraged re MY Jenn-Air
induction/electric cooktop.

I was doing some research last night and found some answers
and other related info. Lots of reading--if not about Viking
specifically, about induction in general. It appears that
several maufacturers are about to bring out induction cooktops
in the near future. It also appears that the Viking one may
be more powerful than the others that will be coming out here
(the US), although it is not quite as powerful as some of
those manufactured in Europe. The price range of the various
Vikings seems to be ca $1750 to ca $3050. I assume the one I
would be getting would be on the lower end, since I only have
a 30-inch cutout. I will probably try the Viking when I can
get it locally. My main hesitation stems from reading that
Matsushita (Panasonic here in the US) has come out with
all-metal-compatible IH(?) ranges, which you can also use
copper and aluminum on. I need to look into that a bit more--
how powerful they are, what the price is apt to be, and when
those might hit the United States.

--
Jean B.
Vox Humana

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > "Jean B." > wrote in message
> >
> >>Haa anyone here accrued any information on Viking's new
> >>Induction or Induction/Electric cooktops? Price? Efficacy?
> >>While I like the concept of induction cooking, my Jenn-Air
> >>induction/electric cooktop is very feeble.
> >>

> > If anyone could screw-up an induction cooktop, it would be Jenn-Air. It
> > doesn't look they even make an induction cooktop these days.
> >

> Yeah. I really wanted to try induction, even though I had
> read bad things about other Jenn-Air cooktops. I am not
> discouraged re induction, but I am discouraged re MY Jenn-Air
> induction/electric cooktop.
>
> I was doing some research last night and found some answers
> and other related info. Lots of reading--if not about Viking
> specifically, about induction in general. It appears that
> several maufacturers are about to bring out induction cooktops
> in the near future. It also appears that the Viking one may
> be more powerful than the others that will be coming out here
> (the US), although it is not quite as powerful as some of
> those manufactured in Europe. The price range of the various
> Vikings seems to be ca $1750 to ca $3050. I assume the one I
> would be getting would be on the lower end, since I only have
> a 30-inch cutout. I will probably try the Viking when I can
> get it locally. My main hesitation stems from reading that
> Matsushita (Panasonic here in the US) has come out with
> all-metal-compatible IH(?) ranges, which you can also use
> copper and aluminum on. I need to look into that a bit more--
> how powerful they are, what the price is apt to be, and when
> those might hit the United States.

I think that induction is the way to go. It has the advantages of electric,
the responsiveness of gas, and is more efficient that either. Since it
relies on magnetism, I don't see how it could work with nonferrous metals.

Jean B.

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Jean B." > wrote:
>>Yeah. I really wanted to try induction, even though I had
>>read bad things about other Jenn-Air cooktops. I am not
>>discouraged re induction, but I am discouraged re MY Jenn-Air
>>induction/electric cooktop.
>>
>>I was doing some research last night and found some answers
>>and other related info. Lots of reading--if not about Viking
>>specifically, about induction in general. It appears that
>>several maufacturers are about to bring out induction cooktops
>>in the near future. It also appears that the Viking one may
>>be more powerful than the others that will be coming out here
>>(the US), although it is not quite as powerful as some of
>>those manufactured in Europe. The price range of the various
>>Vikings seems to be ca $1750 to ca $3050. I assume the one I
>>would be getting would be on the lower end, since I only have
>>a 30-inch cutout. I will probably try the Viking when I can
>>get it locally. My main hesitation stems from reading that
>>Matsushita (Panasonic here in the US) has come out with
>>all-metal-compatible IH(?) ranges, which you can also use
>>copper and aluminum on. I need to look into that a bit more--
>>how powerful they are, what the price is apt to be, and when
>>those might hit the United States.
>>

> I think that induction is the way to go. It has the advantages of electric,
> the responsiveness of gas, and is more efficient that either. Since it
> relies on magnetism, I don't see how it could work with nonferrous metals.

Lemme see what I can find out re that. I saw a post about it
somewhere, but maybe I can find something on a
Panasonic/Matsushita site.... Okay, not from them (maybe if
one did it in Japanese), but here's something:

http://www.jetro.go.jp/en/market/tre...04_11_mtm.html

--
Jean B.

Will

Jean B. wrote:
> Haa anyone here accrued any information on Viking's new
> Induction or Induction/Electric cooktops? Price? Efficacy?
> While I like the concept of induction cooking, my Jenn-Air
> induction/electric cooktop is very feeble.
>
> For that matter, has anyone got any info on the Sear's Elite
> one? Has that even come out yet?
>
> Back to googling...
> --
> Jean B.

While you're googling take a look at the Wolf units. And if you want to
spend a ton of money... google for Diva Induction. They have a model
that has the equivalent of a 20,000 BTU burner.

Will

Jean B.

Will wrote:

> Jean B. wrote:
>
>>Haa anyone here accrued any information on Viking's new
>>Induction or Induction/Electric cooktops? Price? Efficacy?
>>While I like the concept of induction cooking, my Jenn-Air
>>induction/electric cooktop is very feeble.
>>
>>For that matter, has anyone got any info on the Sear's Elite
>>one? Has that even come out yet?
>>
>>Back to googling...
>>--
>>Jean B.

> While you're googling take a look at the Wolf units. And if you want to
> spend a ton of money... google for Diva Induction. They have a model
> that has the equivalent of a 20,000 BTU burner.
>
> Will

The Wolf ones that I ran across looked like two-burner modules
that plug into other Wolf units. (It is supposed to come out
this fall.) And the high-power mode seems not to be as
powerful as Viking's. Yeah. Diva... I will look them up,
having just seen discussions of their products. I gather they
are the slightly less powerful and much more pricy kin of
European deDietrich units (which is why folks have resorted to
importing them). One problem with all of this, which I must
remember, is getting repairs done. (I made the mistake of
getting a Bosch dishwasher, and there are relatively few
[incompetent] authorized repair places. I need to keep
telling myself to look up authorized repair places before I
purchase a particular make of appliance. And that is a big
reason why I won't try importing a unit myself.)

--
Jean B.