Aileen

Default Viking appliances

Hi all:
Wondering if anyone has experience with the Viking dish washer,
refigerator and/or wine cooler. I would also love to hear about the 48
vs 60" all gas ranges.
Sincere thanks for any input , Aileen ( in frozen North )

Colin

Avoid Viking fridge. Viking bought built-in fridge division of Amana
several years ago, and then found out why they sold it. They were having
REAL trouble meeting new government standards for efficiency. They had
to get two exemptions to stay in business while they worked on the
problems. They eventually passed, but just, and they still have the
worst efficiency in the industry. I would assume the wine coolers are
the same, as it's just a specialized fridge.

The dishwashers are supposed to be pretty good.

Colin

Aileen wrote:
> Hi all:
> Wondering if anyone has experience with the Viking dish washer,
> refigerator and/or wine cooler. I would also love to hear about the 48
> vs 60" all gas ranges.
> Sincere thanks for any input , Aileen ( in frozen North )

JF

Gee. We've had a Viking fridge for over two years now and it's sure a lot
better than our previous Sub-Zero. I haven't tested its efficiency lately,
but we didn't see a surge in electrical costs since installing it....

"Colin" > wrote in message
> Avoid Viking fridge. Viking bought built-in fridge division of Amana
> several years ago, and then found out why they sold it. They were having
> REAL trouble meeting new government standards for efficiency. They had
> to get two exemptions to stay in business while they worked on the
> problems. They eventually passed, but just, and they still have the
> worst efficiency in the industry. I would assume the wine coolers are
> the same, as it's just a specialized fridge.
>
> The dishwashers are supposed to be pretty good.
>
> Colin
>

> Aileen wrote:
> > Hi all:
> > Wondering if anyone has experience with the Viking dish washer,
> > refigerator and/or wine cooler. I would also love to hear about the 48
> > vs 60" all gas ranges.
> > Sincere thanks for any input , Aileen ( in frozen North )

Jack Denver

You shouldn't compare it to an old Sub-Zero, you should compare it to a new
generation one. The energy consumption standards for fridges have been going
up, so that a fridge that is even a few years old will use more power than
the latest models. Prob. your new Viking, being one generation behind, was
comparable to your old SZ. If you had bought a new SZ or other current
model, your bill would have gone DOWN, not stayed the same.

The yellow energy sticker gives the annual operating cost so it's easy to
compare among models. If you are spending $3,000 plus for a fridge, I assume
saving $10/year on electricity is not the 1st thing on your mind anyway.

"JF" > wrote in message
> Gee. We've had a Viking fridge for over two years now and it's sure a lot
> better than our previous Sub-Zero. I haven't tested its efficiency lately,
> but we didn't see a surge in electrical costs since installing it....
>

> "Colin" > wrote in message
> > Avoid Viking fridge. Viking bought built-in fridge division of Amana
> > several years ago, and then found out why they sold it. They were having
> > REAL trouble meeting new government standards for efficiency. They had
> > to get two exemptions to stay in business while they worked on the
> > problems. They eventually passed, but just, and they still have the
> > worst efficiency in the industry. I would assume the wine coolers are
> > the same, as it's just a specialized fridge.
> >
> > The dishwashers are supposed to be pretty good.
> >
> > Colin
> >

> > Aileen wrote:
> > > Hi all:
> > > Wondering if anyone has experience with the Viking dish washer,
> > > refigerator and/or wine cooler. I would also love to hear about the 48
> > > vs 60" all gas ranges.
> > > Sincere thanks for any input , Aileen ( in frozen North )

JF

The "old" SZ was in our previous house; we did not replace it with the
Viking. As I said, it performs well and any energy savings would be
negligible in the bigger scheme of things.

"Jack Denver" > wrote in message
> You shouldn't compare it to an old Sub-Zero, you should compare it to a

new
> generation one. The energy consumption standards for fridges have been

going
> up, so that a fridge that is even a few years old will use more power than
> the latest models. Prob. your new Viking, being one generation behind, was
> comparable to your old SZ. If you had bought a new SZ or other current
> model, your bill would have gone DOWN, not stayed the same.
>
> The yellow energy sticker gives the annual operating cost so it's easy to
> compare among models. If you are spending $3,000 plus for a fridge, I

assume
> saving $10/year on electricity is not the 1st thing on your mind anyway.
>

> "JF" > wrote in message
> > Gee. We've had a Viking fridge for over two years now and it's sure a

lot
> > better than our previous Sub-Zero. I haven't tested its efficiency

lately,
> > but we didn't see a surge in electrical costs since installing it....
> >

> > "Colin" > wrote in message
> > > Avoid Viking fridge. Viking bought built-in fridge division of Amana
> > > several years ago, and then found out why they sold it. They were

having
> > > REAL trouble meeting new government standards for efficiency. They had
> > > to get two exemptions to stay in business while they worked on the
> > > problems. They eventually passed, but just, and they still have the
> > > worst efficiency in the industry. I would assume the wine coolers are
> > > the same, as it's just a specialized fridge.
> > >
> > > The dishwashers are supposed to be pretty good.
> > >
> > > Colin

48

Jack Denver

So in other words you really have no meaningful point of comparison or data
on Viking's energy consumption. It's a nice fridge and you don't really
care how much juice it burns. Fair enough, but this does not negate Colin's
factual assertion that Viking received waivers on the standards or that
it's energy consumption is the worst in the business.

Let me ask you this - would you have like your Viking as much if it still
said "Amana" on the door?

"JF" > wrote in message
> The "old" SZ was in our previous house; we did not replace it with the
> Viking. As I said, it performs well and any energy savings would be
> negligible in the bigger scheme of things.
>

> "Jack Denver" > wrote in message
> > You shouldn't compare it to an old Sub-Zero, you should compare it to a

> new
> > generation one. The energy consumption standards for fridges have been

> going
> > up, so that a fridge that is even a few years old will use more power

than
> > the latest models. Prob. your new Viking, being one generation behind,

was
> > comparable to your old SZ. If you had bought a new SZ or other current
> > model, your bill would have gone DOWN, not stayed the same.
> >
> > The yellow energy sticker gives the annual operating cost so it's easy

> > compare among models. If you are spending $3,000 plus for a fridge, I

> assume
> > saving $10/year on electricity is not the 1st thing on your mind anyway.
> >

> > "JF" > wrote in message
> > > Gee. We've had a Viking fridge for over two years now and it's sure a

> lot
> > > better than our previous Sub-Zero. I haven't tested its efficiency

> lately,
> > > but we didn't see a surge in electrical costs since installing it....

Amana

> having

had

are

the
> 48

JF

Actually, it doesn't say anything on the door, so I guess not. We chose it
not just for its design as a refrigerator/freezer, but also for its design,
period. You basically don't know it's there. If it was the same exact
refrigerator made by someone else, sure I'd get it.