Default Z-knife (as in Kitchen Confidential)

Hi -

In Kitchen Confidential, Bourdian talks about a "z knife" and makes it
sound realy useful. But I can't ebay or google anything that looks
right. Could someone suggest a manaufacture, alternate description,
URL?

Louis Cohen

You see it mostly for bread knives. It doesn't seem to be an issue
with a chef's knife - the need arises mainly for narrower blades, I
think. I guess I must use those near the edge of the cutting board, or
hold the knives at a steeper angle.

Jeffrey Dunnam

The knife he mentions is a F. Dick offset handle serrated knife. It is good
for a serrated knife, in fact I used mine this am to cut some watermelon for
my daughter's lunch. Of course, it has the drawback of all serrated knives
in that it is difficult to sharpen once it has dulled. I periodically use my
Lanksky V stick sharpener on mine and it does a decent job of keeping it
usefully sharp. Not good for precision work, but a good workhorse. Around
25-30 bucks.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi -
>
> In Kitchen Confidential, Bourdian talks about a "z knife" and makes it
> sound realy useful. But I can't ebay or google anything that looks
> right. Could someone suggest a manaufacture, alternate description,
> URL?

Malones

This is what we use
https://www.surfasonline.com/products/9920.cfm
we find it really useful. Probably the third most used knife in our
kitchen.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:45:33 GMT, "Jeffrey Dunnam"
> wrote:

>The knife he mentions is a F. Dick offset handle serrated knife. It is good
>for a serrated knife, in fact I used mine this am to cut some watermelon for
>my daughter's lunch. Of course, it has the drawback of all serrated knives
>in that it is difficult to sharpen once it has dulled. I periodically use my
>Lanksky V stick sharpener on mine and it does a decent job of keeping it
>usefully sharp. Not good for precision work, but a good workhorse. Around
>25-30 bucks.
roups.com...