DawnK

Default Err......what uses for microwave

"alan" > wrote in message
> so I'm currently remodeling my long overdue kitchen...it's still has
> the original 50+ year old Caloric cooktop that has been working .
>
> Anyhow, I've got a long list of goodies, including the Wolf DF
> rangetop, and a Bosch dishwasher (what a godsend for those large
> gatherings ).
>

> Anyhow, I'm looking I'm considering getting a built in microwave.
> Other than popcorn, heating water & reheating foods..........what are
> the uses of a microwave that ya'll use it for ?
>
> Just trying to see if it's worth it or not. I've heard it's terrible
> when reheating veggies though.

Melting chocolate, softening or melting butter, softening cream cheese,
making rice, and making baked potatoes.

Dawn

S Viemeister

alan wrote:

> Anyhow, I'm looking I'm considering getting a built in microwave.
> Other than popcorn, heating water & reheating foods..........what are
> the uses of a microwave that ya'll use it for ?

One of the things I use mine for, is cooking fish. It's fast, easy, the
fish doesn't dry out, and extra fat is not required (although melted butter
is very nice...).

It's great for making real hot chocolate in a mug - no pans to wash out.

Porridge can be cooked in a bowl - it's fast, easy, and no pan to scrub.

Sheila
Vox Humana

"alan" > wrote in message
> so I'm currently remodeling my long overdue kitchen...it's still has
> the original 50+ year old Caloric cooktop that has been working .
>
> Anyhow, I've got a long list of goodies, including the Wolf DF
> rangetop, and a Bosch dishwasher (what a godsend for those large
> gatherings ).
>

> Anyhow, I'm looking I'm considering getting a built in microwave.
> Other than popcorn, heating water & reheating foods..........what are
> the uses of a microwave that ya'll use it for ?
>
> Just trying to see if it's worth it or not. I've heard it's terrible
> when reheating veggies though.

You might consider getting a convection microwave. I have one made by Sharp
and I love it. I find myself using it far more often than my full-size
oven. You can use it as a microwave, a convection oven, and in combination
mode. It is a handy second oven when cooking for a crowd. You can use it
as a warming oven and for warming plates. The additional cost is minor,
especially compared to the cost of a kitchen remodel.

Vox Humana

"alan" > wrote in message
> so I'm currently remodeling my long overdue kitchen...it's still has
> the original 50+ year old Caloric cooktop that has been working .
>
> Anyhow, I've got a long list of goodies, including the Wolf DF
> rangetop, and a Bosch dishwasher (what a godsend for those large
> gatherings ).
>

> Anyhow, I'm looking I'm considering getting a built in microwave.
> Other than popcorn, heating water & reheating foods..........what are
> the uses of a microwave that ya'll use it for ?
>
> Just trying to see if it's worth it or not. I've heard it's terrible
> when reheating veggies though.

You might consider getting a convection microwave. I have one made by Sharp
and I love it. I find myself using it far more often than my full-size
oven. You can use it as a microwave, a convection oven, and in combination
mode. It is a handy second oven when cooking for a crowd. You can use it
as a warming oven and for warming plates. The additional cost is minor,
especially compared to the cost of a kitchen remodel.

George Shirley

Vox Humana wrote:

> "alan" > wrote in message
>
>>so I'm currently remodeling my long overdue kitchen...it's still has
>>the original 50+ year old Caloric cooktop that has been working .
>>
>>Anyhow, I've got a long list of goodies, including the Wolf DF
>>rangetop, and a Bosch dishwasher (what a godsend for those large
>>gatherings ).
>>

>>Anyhow, I'm looking I'm considering getting a built in microwave.
>>Other than popcorn, heating water & reheating foods..........what are
>>the uses of a microwave that ya'll use it for ?
>>
>>Just trying to see if it's worth it or not. I've heard it's terrible
>>when reheating veggies though.

> You might consider getting a convection microwave. I have one made by Sharp
> and I love it. I find myself using it far more often than my full-size
> oven. You can use it as a microwave, a convection oven, and in combination
> mode. It is a handy second oven when cooking for a crowd. You can use it
> as a warming oven and for warming plates. The additional cost is minor,
> especially compared to the cost of a kitchen remodel.

Amen to the Sharp, we're on our second one in 25 years, first one lasted
22 of those years and we could convection/microwave a 20 lb turkey in
two hours to perfection. This one is just a wee bit smaller and does as
good a job as the first. Highly recommend these combination units.

George

Roger

In our house the kids use it for popcorn (I still pull out the stovetop
popper) and reheating food, I heat milk for my wife's latte, and we make
oatmeal. It's useful for defrosting. Boiling water is faster on the
stove and every kind of "real" cooking I've ever tried comes out weird.
If space or money were an issue it's one of the first things I'd lose
from a kitchen design, but even a fancy one costs a only a couple
hundred bucks.

Roger

> Anyhow, I'm looking I'm considering getting a built in microwave.
> Other than popcorn, heating water & reheating foods..........what are
> the uses of a microwave that ya'll use it for ?
>
> Just trying to see if it's worth it or not. I've heard it's terrible
> when reheating veggies though.

Vox Humana

"Rina" > wrote in message
> I have concerns about a built in" microwave oven. My brother moved his
> family from one home to another with an overhead "built in" microwave: on
> one of the first days there, one of his children (10 or 11 yrs old) was
> seriously burned (2nd & 3rd degree burns) by dumping a bowl of hot liquid
> from the microwave onto his face and chest. I know, this was a child, but

as
> I see it reaching up overhead to handle Hot Liquid is dangerous for
> anyone...

You have to use some common sense. If it isn't safe for a child to use an
appliance, then they shouldn't use it. Every built-in microwave I've seen
has a way to lock to controls. Another approach is to build-in the
microwave so it is safe for the child to use. There is no rule that says
the microwave has to be mounted high. There are over-the-range units,
over-the-counter units, and built-in units. Truly built-in units can be
mounted anywhere. Since the microwave is often the primary cooking tool for
children, some people design kitchens with a second microwave positioned for
children. I have seen several "snack centers" in up-scale homes that
consist of a refrigerator drawer, a microwave, and storage for food and
utensils used by children. For quick reheating or some popcorn, you could
also get a really cheap, small microwave for the kids and get a really nice
convection/microwave for serious cooking.

pltrgyst

On Mon, 23 May 2005 13:31:24 GMT, "Peter Aitken" > wrote:

>A MW is great for polenta, risotto, and grits. You get terrific results
>without all the stirring and attention required by the stovetop method.

I've got to disagree with you on the risotto. You certainly can't prepare the
soffrito in a mw, you can't coat the rice grains and prepare the outside surface
properly, and any discerning palate can tell you that the rice simply does not
finish with the same texture and textural distribution within each grain. It
tastes like boiled rice, not a proper risotto.

If you're not that discriminating, then yes, go ahead in the mw. Different
strokes and all that.

-- Larry

pltrgyst

On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:43:04 GMT, "Peter Aitken" > wrote:

>You are saying, in other words, that because you have never seen a good MW
>recipe for risotto that it does not exist.

No -- I'm saying that based on my own experience and on information received
from acknowledged experts, I'm skeptical.

>I understand completely. But when I do not have those 20 minutes, the MW is
>a great tool!

I agree, but I'll await your posting of the recipe to see for myself if it's a
great tool for risotto! 8

Thanks -- Larry

pltrgyst