Alexander Galkin

Default Kitchen appliances

I am going to remodel my kitchen and researching appliances. I am going to
need gas range, dishwasher and microwave. I am considering near high-end to
high-end models. I have budget of about $2200 for gas range, have not yet
figured out for dishwasher and microwave. I checked some online stores and
found that only Jenn-Air has gas ranges for my budget. Does anyone own
Jenn-Air ranges, are they good? Are there other brands to consider? What
about microwave and dishwasher?

Vox Humana

"Alexander Galkin" > wrote in message
> I am going to remodel my kitchen and researching appliances. I am going to
> need gas range, dishwasher and microwave. I am considering near high-end

> high-end models. I have budget of about $2200 for gas range, have not yet
> figured out for dishwasher and microwave. I checked some online stores and
> found that only Jenn-Air has gas ranges for my budget. Does anyone own
> Jenn-Air ranges, are they good? Are there other brands to consider? What
> about microwave and dishwasher?

My JennAir (with the downdraft) is pretty much junk. I would avoid any
range with a downdraft, and I would avoid JennAir because the design and
workmanship on my range is inferior. I have had a couple of expensive
repairs on it also.

I do love my Sharp microwave/convection oven. You might consider getting
the combo unit as it is so much more functional than a simple microwave for
very little more money. Having a second oven is great, and for most
day-to-day cooking it is my oven of choice. I only fire up the JennAir when
I am baking large quantities of food or a single very large itom like a
turkey. Sharp makes countertop, over the counter, over the rang, and
built-in models. Someone here also give their GE microwave/convection oven
high praise. The Advantium 220 might be a good choice, but the Advantium
120 seem to be a bit pricey for what you get.

I think I would consider one of the drawer dishwasher next time around.
Fisher and Pykel and KitchenAid both make a drawer unit. I like the
flexibility of being able to wash half a load instead of waiting for the
entire dishwasher to fill before running a cycle. It also lets you was a
pots and pans cycle in one drawer and a normal or light cycle in the other
drawer simultaneity.

Ida Slapter

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:06:36 -0500, "Alexander Galkin"
> wrote:

> I am considering near high-end to
>high-end models. I have budget of about $2200 for gas range,

You better consider uping your budget ...since $2200 for a range is a
little on the short side. A Wolfe rangetop is over 2700 to start and
then you need an oven and the rest of your appliances.

When you stop drinking...it allows you
to get in touch with your real personality...
the one that made you start to drink in the
first place. Anon
Steve Calvin

Alexander Galkin wrote:
> I am going to remodel my kitchen and researching appliances. I am going to
> need gas range, dishwasher and microwave. I am considering near high-end to
> high-end models. I have budget of about $2200 for gas range, have not yet
> figured out for dishwasher and microwave. I checked some online stores and
> found that only Jenn-Air has gas ranges for my budget. Does anyone own
> Jenn-Air ranges, are they good? Are there other brands to consider? What
> about microwave and dishwasher?

Sorry if this hurts anyones feelings, but J.A. is nothing but junk. In
the '70's they were good, but no more. I have a $900 GE that will out
cook a J.A. any day.

Vox Humana

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Alexander Galkin wrote:
> > I am going to remodel my kitchen and researching appliances. I am going

> > need gas range, dishwasher and microwave. I am considering near high-end

> > high-end models. I have budget of about $2200 for gas range, have not

yet
> > figured out for dishwasher and microwave. I checked some online stores

and
> > found that only Jenn-Air has gas ranges for my budget. Does anyone own
> > Jenn-Air ranges, are they good? Are there other brands to consider? What
> > about microwave and dishwasher?
> >

> Sorry if this hurts anyones feelings, but J.A. is nothing but junk. In
> the '70's they were good, but no more. I have a $900 GE that will out
> cook a J.A. any day.

I had a '70 era JennAir electric range, and it wasn't all that wonderful
either. In fact, the downdraft mechanicals took up about 25% of what would
have been oven space. That made the oven just slightly larger than a shoe
box. The convection oven in my gas JennAir is OK and full size as they
relocated the downdraft ducting and fan. However, the oven floor has warped
and the interior is rusting. I just couldn't ever buy another JennAir
appliance and I am now skeptical of Amana and Maytag as they are all the
same company.

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:

> I had a '70 era JennAir electric range, and it wasn't all that wonderful
> either. In fact, the downdraft mechanicals took up about 25% of what would
> have been oven space. That made the oven just slightly larger than a shoe
> box. The convection oven in my gas JennAir is OK and full size as they
> relocated the downdraft ducting and fan. However, the oven floor has warped
> and the interior is rusting. I just couldn't ever buy another JennAir
> appliance and I am now skeptical of Amana and Maytag as they are all the
> same company.

I didn't say that they were great, just good, or I should have said
better. Or maybe it was that I really didn't know any better back then
may be more correct. ;-)

We have a GE Micro/convection and slide in oven/stovetop and unless
you're a professional or just looking for name recogition, I don't
understand paying thousands of dollars on a stove. But that's just me,
YMMV.

--
Steve
Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:

> I had a '70 era JennAir electric range, and it wasn't all that wonderful
> either. In fact, the downdraft mechanicals took up about 25% of what would
> have been oven space. That made the oven just slightly larger than a shoe
> box. The convection oven in my gas JennAir is OK and full size as they
> relocated the downdraft ducting and fan. However, the oven floor has warped
> and the interior is rusting. I just couldn't ever buy another JennAir
> appliance and I am now skeptical of Amana and Maytag as they are all the
> same company.

I didn't say that they were great, just good, or I should have said
better. Or maybe it was that I really didn't know any better back then
may be more correct. ;-)

We have a GE Micro/convection and slide in oven/stovetop and unless
you're a professional or just looking for name recogition, I don't
understand paying thousands of dollars on a stove. But that's just me,
YMMV.

--
Steve
Vox Humana

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>

> > I had a '70 era JennAir electric range, and it wasn't all that wonderful
> > either. In fact, the downdraft mechanicals took up about 25% of what

would
> > have been oven space. That made the oven just slightly larger than a

shoe
> > box. The convection oven in my gas JennAir is OK and full size as they
> > relocated the downdraft ducting and fan. However, the oven floor has

warped
> > and the interior is rusting. I just couldn't ever buy another JennAir
> > appliance and I am now skeptical of Amana and Maytag as they are all the
> > same company.
> >

> I didn't say that they were great, just good, or I should have said
> better. Or maybe it was that I really didn't know any better back then
> may be more correct. ;-)
>

> We have a GE Micro/convection and slide in oven/stovetop and unless
> you're a professional or just looking for name recogition, I don't
> understand paying thousands of dollars on a stove. But that's just me,
> YMMV.

I agree. I would like to have more powerful burners and a range that is
easier to clean. All stainless and cast iron would fulfill the latter
requirement. I don't find that I use the grill very often, so I could
easily live without that. My deck attached to the kitchen, so I can grill
outside anyway. Next time around, I will probably do a wall oven/microwave
combo and a cooktop with good ventilation.

Sis

I'm researching ranges also. Does anyone have experience with Dacor? I'm
interested in a gas convection model. I'm undecided if I want the dual fuel
if it is much more expensive. I do want the cleanability and looks of all
stainless and haven't seen many in that style/price range. Any advice would
be appreciated! Sis
"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>> Vox Humana wrote:
>>

>> > I had a '70 era JennAir electric range, and it wasn't all that
>> > wonderful
>> > either. In fact, the downdraft mechanicals took up about 25% of what

> would
>> > have been oven space. That made the oven just slightly larger than a

> shoe
>> > box. The convection oven in my gas JennAir is OK and full size as they
>> > relocated the downdraft ducting and fan. However, the oven floor has

> warped
>> > and the interior is rusting. I just couldn't ever buy another JennAir
>> > appliance and I am now skeptical of Amana and Maytag as they are all
>> > the
>> > same company.
>> >

>> I didn't say that they were great, just good, or I should have said
>> better. Or maybe it was that I really didn't know any better back then
>> may be more correct. ;-)
>>

>> We have a GE Micro/convection and slide in oven/stovetop and unless
>> you're a professional or just looking for name recogition, I don't
>> understand paying thousands of dollars on a stove. But that's just me,
>> YMMV.

> I agree. I would like to have more powerful burners and a range that is
> easier to clean. All stainless and cast iron would fulfill the latter
> requirement. I don't find that I use the grill very often, so I could
> easily live without that. My deck attached to the kitchen, so I can grill
> outside anyway. Next time around, I will probably do a wall
> oven/microwave
> combo and a cooktop with good ventilation.

sd

In article >,
Ida Slapter > wrote:

> > I am considering near high-end to
> >high-end models. I have budget of about $2200 for gas range,

> You better consider uping your budget ...since $2200 for a range is a
> little on the short side. A Wolfe rangetop is over 2700 to start and
> then you need an oven and the rest of your appliances.

Well, the OP has a choice: bump up the budget big-time (like triple)
or settle for less-than-high end if $2,200 is all he can do. If
$2,200 is the max, I'd look at the Bosch/Siemens free-standing
range.

Another option is to consider a cooktop and separate oven. That's
do-able for $2,200, too, but it won't be near high-end.

sd