Top Spin

Default Microwave oven specs

Our 25 year old microwave oven just died. I would appreciate
suggestions regarding brands or features to look for or avoid.

Cost is not a major factor.

I did like the turntable in the old one. It also had a temperature
probe, but we never used it. We mostly use it for heating up water,
soups, etc. -- not major cooking.

Thanks

Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(11/09/04)
Ida Slapter

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:25:28 -0800, Top Spin >
wrote:

>Our 25 year old microwave oven just died. I would appreciate
>suggestions regarding brands or features to look for or avoid.
>
>Cost is not a major factor.
>
>I did like the turntable in the old one. It also had a temperature
>probe, but we never used it. We mostly use it for heating up water,
>soups, etc. -- not major cooking.

Without a doubt, I would go with the Kenmore 721.53252300. Under
$100. After using microwave ovens for years, my old one died also.
I was pursuaded to buy this ovenn from a friend.

After getting it out of the box, the oven just blew me away. So many
features: Quick Touch Sensor, Reheat, Autocook, Melt, Soften, Auto
defrost, Express defrost.

aem

Top Spin wrote:
[snip]
> We mostly use it for heating up water,
> soups, etc. -- not major cooking.

When I shopped for a toaster oven recently I checked out the microwaves
as well. It seems to me that for your uses they have become such a
standardized commodity that price would drive your decision. I didn't
see any 'must have' features.

Except, our last one allowed you to turn off the end-of-cycle beeping,
which we did. Its replacement doesn't have that, and I wish it did.
But I wouldn't pay more money for it.

-aem

KLS

On 19 Feb 2005 11:44:39 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Top Spin wrote:
>[snip]
>> We mostly use it for heating up water,
>> soups, etc. -- not major cooking.

>When I shopped for a toaster oven recently I checked out the microwaves
>as well. It seems to me that for your uses they have become such a
>standardized commodity that price would drive your decision. I didn't
>see any 'must have' features.
>
>Except, our last one allowed you to turn off the end-of-cycle beeping,
>which we did. Its replacement doesn't have that, and I wish it did.
>But I wouldn't pay more money for it.

For under $100, you can get a nice Sharp turntable microwave; I've had
2 and been very happy with them (the first one I sold to a friend when
I moved, and it's still going strong).
Edwin Pawlowski

"Top Spin" > wrote in message
> Our 25 year old microwave oven just died. I would appreciate
> suggestions regarding brands or features to look for or avoid.
>
> Cost is not a major factor.
>
> I did like the turntable in the old one. It also had a temperature
> probe, but we never used it. We mostly use it for heating up water,
> soups, etc. -- not major cooking.

You are in for a surprise. For $80, you can get a ton of features and lots
of power. I bought a $79 model for our breakroom at work and it has far
more features that you could have bought for $400 about 15 y ears ago. As
for brands, most are made in the same few factories overseas. Pick one that
looks good and it will probably perform as well as any other on the market,
and far better than your old one.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Isaac Wingfield

In article > ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Top Spin" > wrote in message
> > Our 25 year old microwave oven just died. I would appreciate
> > suggestions regarding brands or features to look for or avoid.
> >
> > Cost is not a major factor.
> >
> > I did like the turntable in the old one. It also had a temperature
> > probe, but we never used it. We mostly use it for heating up water,
> > soups, etc. -- not major cooking.

> You are in for a surprise. For $80, you can get a ton of features and lots
> of power. I bought a $79 model for our breakroom at work and it has far
> more features that you could have bought for $400 about 15 y ears ago. As
> for brands, most are made in the same few factories overseas. Pick one that
> looks good and it will probably perform as well as any other on the market,
> and far better than your old one.

I have an old nuker that needs replacement, but I'm confused by your
statement. In exactly which way (or ways) would a new microwave perform
"far better" than my old one? According to my measurements, my nearly 30
year old model still delivers just as much power as it did when new, and
the timer still works just fine; what else is there?

Isaac
Edwin Pawlowski

"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
> I have an old nuker that needs replacement, but I'm confused by your
> statement. In exactly which way (or ways) would a new microwave perform
> "far better" than my old one? According to my measurements, my nearly 30
> year old model still delivers just as much power as it did when new, and
> the timer still works just fine; what else is there?
>
> Isaac

Just how much power when new? Most were 500 or 750 watt compared to the
1200 or 1500 of today making them much faster.

Inverter technology can sense cooking and adjust the time accordingly.
Better defrost cycles by weight or by time. Newer models tend to have more
even heat (wave) distribution than the older models. New ones even do
popcorn better. Most have a button just for that as it is a very popular
thing.

Your 30 year old car will still get you to and from work every day, but the
newer ones do it in much more comfort.

Ida Slapter

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:47:43 -0800, Isaac Wingfield >
wrote:

>According to my measurements, my nearly 30
>year old model still delivers just as much power as it did when new, and
>the timer still works just fine; what else is there?

To equate the difference would to compare a wall crank telephone to a
picture cell phone. When you are in the market to buy, you will
see immediately what we all are talking about.

George

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
>
>>I have an old nuker that needs replacement, but I'm confused by your
>>statement. In exactly which way (or ways) would a new microwave perform
>>"far better" than my old one? According to my measurements, my nearly 30
>>year old model still delivers just as much power as it did when new, and
>>the timer still works just fine; what else is there?
>>
>>Isaac

> Just how much power when new? Most were 500 or 750 watt compared to the
> 1200 or 1500 of today making them much faster.

We just bought a new one and it is 1,300 watt/$80 as compared to the 700
watt/$600 unit it replaced

> Inverter technology can sense cooking and adjust the time accordingly.
> Better defrost cycles by weight or by time. Newer models tend to have more
> even heat (wave) distribution than the older models. New ones even do
> popcorn better. Most have a button just for that as it is a very popular
> thing.

It has an inverter power supply which does a much better job defrosting
(very uniform and no partially cooked spots) and has fewer hot spots
when cooking compared to a new "non-inverter" version.

> Your 30 year old car will still get you to and from work every day, but the
> newer ones do it in much more comfort.

Top Spin

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:32:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
>> I have an old nuker that needs replacement, but I'm confused by your
>> statement. In exactly which way (or ways) would a new microwave perform
>> "far better" than my old one? According to my measurements, my nearly 30
>> year old model still delivers just as much power as it did when new, and
>> the timer still works just fine; what else is there?
>>
>> Isaac

>Just how much power when new? Most were 500 or 750 watt compared to the
>1200 or 1500 of today making them much faster.
>
>Inverter technology can sense cooking and adjust the time accordingly.
>Better defrost cycles by weight or by time. Newer models tend to have more
>even heat (wave) distribution than the older models. New ones even do
>popcorn better. Most have a button just for that as it is a very popular
>thing.

Well, we went out and bought a new Panasonic. It's one of those "The
Genius" models. Model number NN T994SF. Cost $180.

The first thing I did was make popcorn. I use loose corn (Orville
Redenbacher air pop corn) in one of those microwave popcorn gadgets. I
tried the popcorn button. The corn started popping a little sooner
than with the old oven, but not much. I think the old was was 1,000
watts (maybe 1200) and this one is 1250.

It ran about 2 minutes which was not nearly long enough. (I used to
set the old one for 3 minutes.) I immediately pushed the popcorn
button again and it finished popping. Took about 3 minutes overall.

When I took it out, one area was badly burned. It was so bad, that the
edge of the popper wall was scortched. This never happened on the old
one.

I'll do some more testing, but this one is not as good as the old one
for popcorn based on one test.

--
Hitachi HB-A101 bread machine, 1 pound
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(01/10/05)

Hahabogus

Top Spin > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:32:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
> >> I have an old nuker that needs replacement, but I'm confused by
> >> your statement. In exactly which way (or ways) would a new
> >> microwave perform "far better" than my old one? According to my
> >> measurements, my nearly 30 year old model still delivers just as
> >> much power as it did when new, and the timer still works just
> >> fine; what else is there?
> >>
> >> Isaac

> >Just how much power when new? Most were 500 or 750 watt compared
> >to the 1200 or 1500 of today making them much faster.
> >
> >Inverter technology can sense cooking and adjust the time
> >accordingly. Better defrost cycles by weight or by time. Newer
> >models tend to have more even heat (wave) distribution than the
> >older models. New ones even do popcorn better. Most have a button
> >just for that as it is a very popular thing.

> Well, we went out and bought a new Panasonic. It's one of those "The
> Genius" models. Model number NN T994SF. Cost $180.
>
> The first thing I did was make popcorn. I use loose corn (Orville
> Redenbacher air pop corn) in one of those microwave popcorn gadgets.
> I tried the popcorn button. The corn started popping a little sooner
> than with the old oven, but not much. I think the old was was 1,000
> watts (maybe 1200) and this one is 1250.
>
> It ran about 2 minutes which was not nearly long enough. (I used to
> set the old one for 3 minutes.) I immediately pushed the popcorn
> button again and it finished popping. Took about 3 minutes overall.
>
> When I took it out, one area was badly burned. It was so bad, that
> the edge of the popper wall was scortched. This never happened on
> the old one.
>
> I'll do some more testing, but this one is not as good as the old
> one for popcorn based on one test.
>
> --
> Hitachi HB-A101 bread machine, 1 pound
> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
> (01/10/05)

First off usually there is a large number of 'old maids' when nuking pop
corn.

Secondly, of course it burnt you ran it for almost a double cycle.

Read the manual...it should tell you what weight/amount of popcorn the
push button is set for and at what power setting the microwave is at
while popping corn.

You needed to get used to the old one, so I suppose you'll need to get
used to the new one.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 5.6mmol or 101mg/dl
Continuing to be Manitoban

: Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
: (11/09/04)

Edwin Pawlowski

"Top Spin" > wrote in message
> The first thing I did was make popcorn. I use loose corn (Orville
> Redenbacher air pop corn) in one of those microwave popcorn gadgets. I
> tried the popcorn button. The corn started popping a little sooner
> than with the old oven, but not much. I think the old was was 1,000
> watts (maybe 1200) and this one is 1250.

The popcorn button is designed to work with the pre-packaged stuff. I don'
tknow if your system has a correlation to it or not. IMO, you way is
better, but the masses buy the packages.

> I'll do some more testing, but this one is not as good as the old one
> for popcorn based on one test.

Is that the only thing you use the MW for? One test is not much for any
equipment or tool.

Top Spin

:

>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 05:32:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
>> wrote:

>> >Just how much power when new? Most were 500 or 750 watt compared
>> >to the 1200 or 1500 of today making them much faster.
>> >
>> >Inverter technology can sense cooking and adjust the time
>> >accordingly. Better defrost cycles by weight or by time. Newer
>> >models tend to have more even heat (wave) distribution than the
>> >older models. New ones even do popcorn better. Most have a button
>> >just for that as it is a very popular thing.

>> Well, we went out and bought a new Panasonic. It's one of those "The
>> Genius" models. Model number NN T994SF. Cost $180.
>>
>> The first thing I did was make popcorn. I use loose corn (Orville
>> Redenbacher air pop corn) in one of those microwave popcorn gadgets.
>> I tried the popcorn button. The corn started popping a little sooner
>> than with the old oven, but not much. I think the old was was 1,000
>> watts (maybe 1200) and this one is 1250.
>>
>> It ran about 2 minutes which was not nearly long enough. (I used to
>> set the old one for 3 minutes.) I immediately pushed the popcorn
>> button again and it finished popping. Took about 3 minutes overall.
>>
>> When I took it out, one area was badly burned. It was so bad, that
>> the edge of the popper wall was scortched. This never happened on
>> the old one.
>>
>> I'll do some more testing, but this one is not as good as the old
>> one for popcorn based on one test.
>>
>> --
>> Hitachi HB-A101 bread machine, 1 pound
>> Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
>> (01/10/05)
>>

>First off usually there is a large number of 'old maids' when nuking pop
>corn.

"Old maids"?

>Secondly, of course it burnt you ran it for almost a double cycle.

A double cycle for what? I ran it until the popping stopped. Those are
the instructions on the popper and the microwave.

--
Hitachi HB-A101 bread machine, 1 pound
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(01/10/05)
Top Spin

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:55:39 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"Top Spin" > wrote in message
>> The first thing I did was make popcorn. I use loose corn (Orville
>> Redenbacher air pop corn) in one of those microwave popcorn gadgets. I
>> tried the popcorn button. The corn started popping a little sooner
>> than with the old oven, but not much. I think the old was was 1,000
>> watts (maybe 1200) and this one is 1250.

>The popcorn button is designed to work with the pre-packaged stuff. I don'
>tknow if your system has a correlation to it or not. IMO, you way is
>better, but the masses buy the packages.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I'll just try it with the timer. That's
what I did on the old one. I just thought I'd give the popcorn button
a try.

>> I'll do some more testing, but this one is not as good as the old one
>> for popcorn based on one test.

>Is that the only thing you use the MW for? One test is not much for any
>equipment or tool.

Of course.

--
Hitachi HB-A101 bread machine, 1 pound
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(01/10/05)

Tony P.

In article >,
says...
> In article > ,
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> > "Top Spin" > wrote in message
> > > Our 25 year old microwave oven just died. I would appreciate
> > > suggestions regarding brands or features to look for or avoid.
> > >
> > > Cost is not a major factor.
> > >
> > > I did like the turntable in the old one. It also had a temperature
> > > probe, but we never used it. We mostly use it for heating up water,
> > > soups, etc. -- not major cooking.

> > You are in for a surprise. For $80, you can get a ton of features and lots
> > of power. I bought a $79 model for our breakroom at work and it has far
> > more features that you could have bought for $400 about 15 y ears ago. As
> > for brands, most are made in the same few factories overseas. Pick one that
> > looks good and it will probably perform as well as any other on the market,
> > and far better than your old one.

> I have an old nuker that needs replacement, but I'm confused by your
> statement. In exactly which way (or ways) would a new microwave perform
> "far better" than my old one? According to my measurements, my nearly 30
> year old model still delivers just as much power as it did when new, and
> the timer still works just fine; what else is there?

The one thing I've noted about the cheaper microwave ovens is that the
electronics tend to go south in a very short period of time.

That being said, the primary differences are the timed modes, convection
availability, and power levels. For the longest time most microwave
ovens were 600W units. The new ones are 1200W. That's quite enough
power.

Microwave oven notbob General Cooking 61 03-12-2016 08:37 PM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 10 29-06-2006 12:54 AM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] General Cooking 11 27-06-2006 11:53 PM
Microwave Oven Uses aem General Cooking 58 01-05-2005 04:33 AM
Microwave oven specs Top Spin General Cooking 42 21-02-2005 06:51 PM