Nartker

Default Amana Refridgerators?

I am considering the Amana AFB2534DE French door, Bottom Freezer unit for my
home.

Does anyone have a comment on its quality and performace or an alternative?

Thanks

Nartker @ AOL.com

Nartker

DawnK

"Nartker" > wrote in message
>I am considering the Amana AFB2534DE French door, Bottom Freezer unit for
>my
> home.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on its quality and performace or an
> alternative?
>

> Thanks
>

> Nartker @ AOL.com
>
> Nartker

My mom has been using Amana refrigerators with the freezer on the bottom
since the 70's. She wouldn't get any other kind. I have an Amana with the
freezer on the top, since the model with the freezer on the bottom was a bit
too expensive for us.

Dawn

We had a bottom freezer Amana in our last home. I really miss it. The
dogs like to sleep in front of the refrig, and it didn't disturb them
everytime I opened the door. I have a large side-by-side now, but I
liked my Amana better. However, I do enjoy being able to get water and
ice from the freezer door, which you obviously can't do if the freezer
is on the bottom. Jane

Harvey R. Stone

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> We had a bottom freezer Amana in our last home. I really miss it. The
> dogs like to sleep in front of the refrig, and it didn't disturb them
> everytime I opened the door. I have a large side-by-side now, but I
> liked my Amana better. However, I do enjoy being able to get water and
> ice from the freezer door, which you obviously can't do if the freezer
> is on the bottom. Jane

We have an Amana with bottom freezer and an ice water spigot inside of the
refrigerator part. We do have to reach into the freezer for the ice.

LRod

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:17:37 -0800, Pixmaker >
wrote:

>In general, don't believe the image of that Amana service man sitting
>around on his duff all day!

Uh, I believe that's the Maytag guy...

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Edwin Pawlowski

"LRod" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:17:37 -0800, Pixmaker >
> wrote:
>

>>In general, don't believe the image of that Amana service man sitting
>>around on his duff all day!

> Uh, I believe that's the Maytag guy...
>
> - -
> LRod

Today it could be the same guy. Amana owns Maytag or vice versa.

Edwin Pawlowski

"LRod" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:17:37 -0800, Pixmaker >
> wrote:
>

>>In general, don't believe the image of that Amana service man sitting
>>around on his duff all day!

> Uh, I believe that's the Maytag guy...
>
> - -
> LRod

Today it could be the same guy. Amana owns Maytag or vice versa.

Pixmaker

I will never buy another Amana refrigerator!

They seem to be especially noisy units. . . really annoying.

I have bought two in the last seven years and both of them have been
horrors regarding reliability and maintenance costs. Some of the
problems:

Amana Number 1:

Big crack in the plastic liner of the freezer, about ¼" wide.

Failed icemaker.

Failed compressor.

Unable to install a filter on the built-in unit. Two service techs
could not remove the bypass in order to install a water filter.

Amana replaced this refrigerator after a continuing series of small
problems just before the 5-year warranty expired. Although the
replacement was a factory-new refrigerator, I had to pay $300 to get
the standard 5-year warranty.

Amana Number 2:

Failed icemaker - twice within 5 years. Because a new unit costs
several hundred dollars and because I must pay $135 just to have an
incompetent service guy show up, I haven't had an icemaker for about a
year.

Failed chilled water dispenser. Took the service guy two trips and a
$135 charge to discover that someone had failed to connect the
electrical wires correctly.

In general, don't believe the image of that Amana service man sitting
around on his duff all day! Every time I called for service, it took
AT LEAST TEN DAYS before someone could show up.

But. . . go ahead and buy that Amana. Just be prepared to pay an
additional few hundred dollars every year or so in repair costs. And
also be prepared to be without your refrigerator for about a week
because of the time delay to get a guy to show up.

About two months ago, I stopped for coffee in a small donut shop and
was sitting beside a couple of guys who worked for an
appliance-service company. When I talked about the miserable time I'd
had with Amana, their response was something like, "of all of them,
you probably bought one of the worst for service problems. We hate to
go fix them because it's always at least a two-trip service call.
Usually, something expensive fails and we have to order the parts,
then go back the second time to finish the job."

My reaction: Where were you when I needed this advice?

Pixmaker in FLL
==========================
It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
==========================
(...Think the humidity's bad?
You should watch us vote!)
sshay

"Nartker" > wrote in message
> I am considering the Amana AFB2534DE French door, Bottom Freezer unit for

my
> home.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on its quality and performace or an

alternative?

> Thanks
>

> Nartker @ AOL.com
>
> Nartker
>
> I've had an Amana for about two years, bottom freezer and lots of room

inside. I've had no problems at all, I love it.

sshay

"Nartker" > wrote in message
> I am considering the Amana AFB2534DE French door, Bottom Freezer unit for

my
> home.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on its quality and performace or an

alternative?

> Thanks
>

> Nartker @ AOL.com
>
> Nartker
>
> I've had an Amana for about two years, bottom freezer and lots of room

inside. I've had no problems at all, I love it.

DawnK

"Pixmaker" > wrote in message
news
>I will never buy another Amana refrigerator!
>
> They seem to be especially noisy units. . . really annoying.
>
> I have bought two in the last seven years and both of them have been
> horrors regarding reliability and maintenance costs. Some of the
> problems:
>
> Amana Number 1:
>
> Big crack in the plastic liner of the freezer, about ¼" wide.
>
> Failed icemaker.
>
> Failed compressor.
>
> Unable to install a filter on the built-in unit. Two service techs
> could not remove the bypass in order to install a water filter.
>
> Amana replaced this refrigerator after a continuing series of small
> problems just before the 5-year warranty expired. Although the
> replacement was a factory-new refrigerator, I had to pay $300 to get
> the standard 5-year warranty.
>
> Amana Number 2:
>
> Failed icemaker - twice within 5 years. Because a new unit costs
> several hundred dollars and because I must pay $135 just to have an
> incompetent service guy show up, I haven't had an icemaker for about a
> year.
>
> Failed chilled water dispenser. Took the service guy two trips and a
> $135 charge to discover that someone had failed to connect the
> electrical wires correctly.
>
> In general, don't believe the image of that Amana service man sitting
> around on his duff all day! Every time I called for service, it took
> AT LEAST TEN DAYS before someone could show up.
>
> But. . . go ahead and buy that Amana. Just be prepared to pay an
> additional few hundred dollars every year or so in repair costs. And
> also be prepared to be without your refrigerator for about a week
> because of the time delay to get a guy to show up.
>

> About two months ago, I stopped for coffee in a small donut shop and
> was sitting beside a couple of guys who worked for an
> appliance-service company. When I talked about the miserable time I'd
> had with Amana, their response was something like, "of all of them,
> you probably bought one of the worst for service problems. We hate to
> go fix them because it's always at least a two-trip service call.
> Usually, something expensive fails and we have to order the parts,
> then go back the second time to finish the job."
>
> My reaction: Where were you when I needed this advice?
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (...Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

Our local appliance store is good about sending some one out either that
same day, or the next day. We have no complaints about their service.

Dawn

DawnK

"Pixmaker" > wrote in message
news
>I will never buy another Amana refrigerator!
>
> They seem to be especially noisy units. . . really annoying.
>
> I have bought two in the last seven years and both of them have been
> horrors regarding reliability and maintenance costs. Some of the
> problems:
>
> Amana Number 1:
>
> Big crack in the plastic liner of the freezer, about ¼" wide.
>
> Failed icemaker.
>
> Failed compressor.
>
> Unable to install a filter on the built-in unit. Two service techs
> could not remove the bypass in order to install a water filter.
>
> Amana replaced this refrigerator after a continuing series of small
> problems just before the 5-year warranty expired. Although the
> replacement was a factory-new refrigerator, I had to pay $300 to get
> the standard 5-year warranty.
>
> Amana Number 2:
>
> Failed icemaker - twice within 5 years. Because a new unit costs
> several hundred dollars and because I must pay $135 just to have an
> incompetent service guy show up, I haven't had an icemaker for about a
> year.
>
> Failed chilled water dispenser. Took the service guy two trips and a
> $135 charge to discover that someone had failed to connect the
> electrical wires correctly.
>
> In general, don't believe the image of that Amana service man sitting
> around on his duff all day! Every time I called for service, it took
> AT LEAST TEN DAYS before someone could show up.
>
> But. . . go ahead and buy that Amana. Just be prepared to pay an
> additional few hundred dollars every year or so in repair costs. And
> also be prepared to be without your refrigerator for about a week
> because of the time delay to get a guy to show up.
>

> About two months ago, I stopped for coffee in a small donut shop and
> was sitting beside a couple of guys who worked for an
> appliance-service company. When I talked about the miserable time I'd
> had with Amana, their response was something like, "of all of them,
> you probably bought one of the worst for service problems. We hate to
> go fix them because it's always at least a two-trip service call.
> Usually, something expensive fails and we have to order the parts,
> then go back the second time to finish the job."
>
> My reaction: Where were you when I needed this advice?
>

> Pixmaker in FLL
> ==========================
> It's not the heat, it's the humidity!
> ==========================
> (...Think the humidity's bad?
> You should watch us vote!)

Our local appliance store is good about sending some one out either that
same day, or the next day. We have no complaints about their service.

Dawn

Ida Slapter

Amama? The only brand I have been able to depend on.

Tom Royer

"Nartker" > wrote in message
>I am considering the Amana AFB2534DE French door, Bottom Freezer unit for
>my
> home.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on its quality and performace or an
> alternative?

Not sure if it's the same model, but we have an Amana
bottom freezer refrigerator and wouldn't buy another.

It's never failed, but it's continually too cold (even with
adjustments). Vegetables in the crispers are continually
freezing. A royal pain.

But,....it might just be our particular sample.

--
Thomas C Royer
Lead Engineer, Software Test

Tom Royer

--
Thomas C Royer
Lead Engineer, Software Test
The MITRE Corporation
"If you're not free to fail, you're not free" -- Gene Burns

Tom Royer

--
Thomas C Royer
Lead Engineer, Software Test
The MITRE Corporation
"If you're not free to fail, you're not free" -- Gene Burns

Peter Aitken

"Nartker" > wrote in message
> I am considering the Amana AFB2534DE French door, Bottom Freezer unit for

my
> home.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on its quality and performace or an

alternative?

We've had an Amana bottom freezer model for 6 years and love it. There were
initially some problems with produce freezing but a few adjustments took
care of that. Adjustable easy to clean shelves, no malfunctions. Not the
quietest thing but what fridge is these days?

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Nartker" > wrote in message
> I am considering the Amana AFB2534DE French door, Bottom Freezer unit for

my
> home.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on its quality and performace or an

alternative?

We've had an Amana bottom freezer model for 6 years and love it. There were
initially some problems with produce freezing but a few adjustments took
care of that. Adjustable easy to clean shelves, no malfunctions. Not the
quietest thing but what fridge is these days?

--
Peter Aitken

LRod

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:26:50 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"LRod" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:17:37 -0800, Pixmaker >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>In general, don't believe the image of that Amana service man sitting
>>>around on his duff all day!

>> Uh, I believe that's the Maytag guy...

>Today it could be the same guy. Amana owns Maytag or vice versa.

Uh, get back to the wreck where you belong.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
LRod

wrote:

.. .