zuuum

Default KitchenAid Kitchen??

In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
appliances.

Drop in stove-top burners
cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
dishwasher
built-in overhead microwave.

What appliance is the weak link?

Thanks.

Steve Calvin

zuuum wrote:
> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
> appliances.
>
> Drop in stove-top burners
> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
> dishwasher
> built-in overhead microwave.
>
> What appliance is the weak link?
>
> Thanks.

I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
of folks don't.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

zuuum wrote:
> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
> appliances.
>
> Drop in stove-top burners
> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
> dishwasher
> built-in overhead microwave.
>
> What appliance is the weak link?
>
> Thanks.

I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
of folks don't.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> zuuum wrote:
>
>> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
>> appliances.
>>
>> Drop in stove-top burners
>> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
>> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
>> dishwasher
>> built-in overhead microwave.
>>
>> What appliance is the weak link?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
> overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
> The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
> of folks don't.

Oh yeah, and I'd throw in a garbage disposal.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> zuuum wrote:
>
>> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
>> appliances.
>>
>> Drop in stove-top burners
>> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
>> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
>> dishwasher
>> built-in overhead microwave.
>>
>> What appliance is the weak link?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
> overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
> The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
> of folks don't.

Oh yeah, and I'd throw in a garbage disposal.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

zuuum

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
>> appliances.
>>
>> Drop in stove-top burners
>> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
>> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
>> dishwasher
>> built-in overhead microwave.
>>
>> What appliance is the weak link?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
> overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
> The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
> of folks don't.

I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
still fairly new design?

zuuum

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> zuuum wrote:
>> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
>> appliances.
>>
>> Drop in stove-top burners
>> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
>> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
>> dishwasher
>> built-in overhead microwave.
>>
>> What appliance is the weak link?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
> overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
> The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
> of folks don't.

I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
still fairly new design?

mike

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:04:18 GMT, "zuuum" > wrote:

>I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
>why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
>still fairly new design?

Micro-convections are not new. I bought one (Kenmore) about 15 years
ago. The fan bearing required replacement every 3 years or so but it
worked quite nicely for us otherwise. The KitchenAid combo may be new
if that's what you meant.
mike

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:04:18 GMT, "zuuum" > wrote:

>I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
>why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
>still fairly new design?

Micro-convections are not new. I bought one (Kenmore) about 15 years
ago. The fan bearing required replacement every 3 years or so but it
worked quite nicely for us otherwise. The KitchenAid combo may be new
if that's what you meant.
Steve Calvin

zuuum wrote:
>>I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
>>overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
>>The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
>>of folks don't.
>>

> I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
> why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
> still fairly new design?

New?!? I've had mine for at least 6 years and I know that they'd been
out a while before I bought one. It's nice to have a smaller oven which
can be used as a "normal" convection if needed. Holidays, parties, etc.
Plus it won't through as much heat into the kitchen. I frequently use
mine as opposed to firing up the large one.

You're kitchen though, your call.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

Steve Calvin

zuuum wrote:
>>I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
>>overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
>>The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a lot
>>of folks don't.
>>

> I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
> why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
> still fairly new design?

New?!? I've had mine for at least 6 years and I know that they'd been
out a while before I bought one. It's nice to have a smaller oven which
can be used as a "normal" convection if needed. Holidays, parties, etc.
Plus it won't through as much heat into the kitchen. I frequently use
mine as opposed to firing up the large one.

You're kitchen though, your call.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> zuuum wrote:
>
>>> I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
>>> overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
>>> The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a
>>> lot of folks don't.
>>>

>> I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and
>> roomier, so why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the
>> microwave combos are still fairly new design?
>>

> New?!? I've had mine for at least 6 years and I know that they'd been
> out a while before I bought one. It's nice to have a smaller oven which
> can be used as a "normal" convection if needed. Holidays, parties, etc.
> Plus it won't through as much heat into the kitchen. I frequently use
> mine as opposed to firing up the large one.
>
> You're kitchen though, your call.

Oh, I don't have a KA though. It's a GE Profile Performance.

And I have to caution you to checkout KA well before purchasing. They
used to be "top of the line" but I'd recommend searching for customer
reviews on them.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

Steve Calvin wrote:
> zuuum wrote:
>
>>> I'm not really a KA fan but given your list I'd change the built-in
>>> overhead microwave to a built-in overhead micro/convection.
>>> The fridge is a matter of preferance, I prefer the top freezer but a
>>> lot of folks don't.
>>>

>> I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and
>> roomier, so why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the
>> microwave combos are still fairly new design?
>>

> New?!? I've had mine for at least 6 years and I know that they'd been
> out a while before I bought one. It's nice to have a smaller oven which
> can be used as a "normal" convection if needed. Holidays, parties, etc.
> Plus it won't through as much heat into the kitchen. I frequently use
> mine as opposed to firing up the large one.
>
> You're kitchen though, your call.

Oh, I don't have a KA though. It's a GE Profile Performance.

And I have to caution you to checkout KA well before purchasing. They
used to be "top of the line" but I'd recommend searching for customer
reviews on them.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
The Cook

mike > wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:04:18 GMT, "zuuum" > wrote:
>

>>I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
>>why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
>>still fairly new design?
>>

>Micro-convections are not new. I bought one (Kenmore) about 15 years
>ago. The fan bearing required replacement every 3 years or so but it
>worked quite nicely for us otherwise. The KitchenAid combo may be new
>if that's what you meant.

We got a Sharp that was manufactured in 1989 (bought it about 1990)
and just replaced it a couple of months ago. The front panel was
dying, but the rest of it still worked fine. I think we may have
replaced a fuse at one time, but that was the only problem.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
The Cook

mike > wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:04:18 GMT, "zuuum" > wrote:
>

>>I figured a convection wall oven would be more trouble-free and roomier, so
>>why throw an uncertain wrench in the micro, since the microwave combos are
>>still fairly new design?
>>

>Micro-convections are not new. I bought one (Kenmore) about 15 years
>ago. The fan bearing required replacement every 3 years or so but it
>worked quite nicely for us otherwise. The KitchenAid combo may be new
>if that's what you meant.

We got a Sharp that was manufactured in 1989 (bought it about 1990)
and just replaced it a couple of months ago. The front panel was
dying, but the rest of it still worked fine. I think we may have
replaced a fuse at one time, but that was the only problem.

--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral, 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."

Louis Cohen

zuuum wrote:
> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
> appliances.
>
> Drop in stove-top burners
> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
> dishwasher
> built-in overhead microwave.
>
> What appliance is the weak link?
>
> Thanks.

If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877
Steve Calvin

Louis Cohen wrote:
> zuuum wrote:
>
>> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
>> appliances.
>>
>> Drop in stove-top burners
>> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
>> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
>> dishwasher
>> built-in overhead microwave.
>>
>> What appliance is the weak link?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
> dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
> with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.

Had my GE Profile Preformance for 6 or 7 years. Still works great.
<knocking on wood>

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

Louis Cohen wrote:
> zuuum wrote:
>
>> In an all-electric kitchen remodel using all KitchenAid
>> appliances.
>>
>> Drop in stove-top burners
>> cabinet built-in convection oven with warmer
>> refrigerator w/bottom-freeze drawer
>> dishwasher
>> built-in overhead microwave.
>>
>> What appliance is the weak link?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
> dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
> with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.

Had my GE Profile Preformance for 6 or 7 years. Still works great.
<knocking on wood>

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Edwin Pawlowski

> Louis Cohen wrote:

>> If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
>> dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
>> with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.

I gu ess you don't know me. Had the first one for about 15+ years and it
finally acted up (above average life) , present one about 5 years. Nothing
ever replaced.

limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message >

> And I have to caution you to checkout KA well before purchasing. They used
> to be "top of the line" but I'd recommend searching for customer reviews
> on them.
>
> --
> Steve

I agree. I think Whirlpool bought out the whole KitchenAid line. I
bought a KA clothes washer a few years ago and didn't realize it had been
made by Whirlpool. They also seem to have quite a monopoly, manufacturing
for other companies.

Dora

limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message >

> And I have to caution you to checkout KA well before purchasing. They used
> to be "top of the line" but I'd recommend searching for customer reviews
> on them.
>
> --
> Steve

I agree. I think Whirlpool bought out the whole KitchenAid line. I
bought a KA clothes washer a few years ago and didn't realize it had been
made by Whirlpool. They also seem to have quite a monopoly, manufacturing
for other companies.

Dora

limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
> Louis Cohen wrote:

>> If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
>> dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
>> with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.
>>

> Had my GE Profile Preformance for 6 or 7 years. Still works great.
> <knocking on wood>
>
> Steve

I have had a GE microwave for about two years. It's OK but the built-in
hood doesn't work worth a darn. It picks up steam, etc., from the back
burners but steam from the front burners goes straight up to the ceiling -
even steams over the front of the microwave.
I wish I had bought a separate hood, but had thought it would be great to
get the m/w off the counter.

Dora

limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
> Louis Cohen wrote:

>> If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
>> dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
>> with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.
>>

> Had my GE Profile Preformance for 6 or 7 years. Still works great.
> <knocking on wood>
>
> Steve

I have had a GE microwave for about two years. It's OK but the built-in
hood doesn't work worth a darn. It picks up steam, etc., from the back
burners but steam from the front burners goes straight up to the ceiling -
even steams over the front of the microwave.
I wish I had bought a separate hood, but had thought it would be great to
get the m/w off the counter.

Dora

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Steve Calvin" wrote in message >
>
>> And I have to caution you to checkout KA well before purchasing. They
>> used to be "top of the line" but I'd recommend searching for customer
>> reviews on them.

I did that last summer when the KA dishwasher finally started going to crap
after 20 years. I ended up with another KA. Maytag and Whirlpool (owners
of KA these days) were in the running.

Edwin Pawlowski

> "Steve Calvin" wrote in message >
>
>> And I have to caution you to checkout KA well before purchasing. They
>> used to be "top of the line" but I'd recommend searching for customer
>> reviews on them.

I did that last summer when the KA dishwasher finally started going to crap
after 20 years. I ended up with another KA. Maytag and Whirlpool (owners
of KA these days) were in the running.

Steve Calvin

limey wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" wrote in message
>
>>Louis Cohen wrote:

>>>If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
>>>dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
>>>with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.
>>>

>>Had my GE Profile Preformance for 6 or 7 years. Still works great.
>><knocking on wood>
>>
>>Steve

> I have had a GE microwave for about two years. It's OK but the built-in
> hood doesn't work worth a darn. It picks up steam, etc., from the back
> burners but steam from the front burners goes straight up to the ceiling -
> even steams over the front of the microwave.
> I wish I had bought a separate hood, but had thought it would be great to
> get the m/w off the counter.
>
> Dora

Good point Dora. I have the same issue with mine. I've just adjusted to
putting pots of water for pasta, potatoes or whatever on the back
burners which solves that problem, for me anyhow. Of the two choices,
I'll take the combination micro/convection. I don't have a large
kitchen so a counter top unit isn't an option.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
Steve Calvin

limey wrote:
> "Steve Calvin" wrote in message
>
>>Louis Cohen wrote:

>>>If the overhead microwave is combined with a hood, change it for a
>>>dedicated hood and put the microwave on the counter. Everyone we know
>>>with a microwave/hood has had to replace some piece of it.
>>>

>>Had my GE Profile Preformance for 6 or 7 years. Still works great.
>><knocking on wood>
>>
>>Steve

> I have had a GE microwave for about two years. It's OK but the built-in
> hood doesn't work worth a darn. It picks up steam, etc., from the back
> burners but steam from the front burners goes straight up to the ceiling -
> even steams over the front of the microwave.
> I wish I had bought a separate hood, but had thought it would be great to
> get the m/w off the counter.
>
> Dora

Good point Dora. I have the same issue with mine. I've just adjusted to
putting pots of water for pasta, potatoes or whatever on the back
burners which solves that problem, for me anyhow. Of the two choices,
I'll take the combination micro/convection. I don't have a large
kitchen so a counter top unit isn't an option.

--
Steve

It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.
limey

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message >>
> Good point Dora. I have the same issue with mine. I've just adjusted to
> putting pots of water for pasta, potatoes or whatever on the back burners
> which solves that problem, for me anyhow. Of the two choices, I'll take
> the combination micro/convection. I don't have a large kitchen so a
> counter top unit isn't an option.
>
> Steve

Wouldn't you know it - my back burners are two small burners and a warming
burner. The large ones, used for soup, stock, etc., are in the front.
That's what happens when engineers design things - canvass instead the
people who have to use them!

Dora

limey