Default Ice Cream Maker

I'm looking for a salt & ice type electric ice cream maker, with a
product capacity of under 4 quarts, that costs under $50. If someone
has or knows of such a unit, please post (or email) the
manufacturer's name and model number. I'm also interested in
knowing the cost of operation. How much it actually costs to make a
batch? Is it necessary to purchase "mixes" or are ingredients
available at neighborhood supermarkets?

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm looking for a salt & ice type electric ice cream maker, with a
> product capacity of under 4 quarts, that costs under $50. If someone
> has or knows of such a unit, please post (or email) the
> manufacturer's name and model number.

It has been a while since I looked for one, but Snbeam Used to make them.

> I'm also interested in
> knowing the cost of operation. How much it actually costs to make a
> batch?

That depends on the indredients. For a four quart batch you need maybe 3
quarts of cream. I use fresh fruit in season so the cost can vary from free
for peaches, two bucks for strawberries, maybe four dollars for raspberries.

> Is it necessary to purchase "mixes" or are ingredients
> available at neighborhood supermarkets?

No mixes needed. Most call for cream, (light, heavy, or both) sugar,
vanilla, fruit or chocolate, maybe a couple of eggs.

It is about making quality ice cream that you enjoy. It will not save any
money if that is an issue. If you buy a machine, there will be a booklet
with it for basic recipes. Ben & Jerry have a good book available that
tells you how to make a couple of bases and then you can build on that for
flavors.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Thanks Ed. Right now I have a Philips 1.2 Liter model which uses the
cooling disc method. It is convenient and does a good job making
frozen yogurt but the ice cream doesn't seem to have the same texture
and taste as the homemade I enjoyed growing up. Are there differences
in taste and texture between cooling disc and salt & ice models?

Jay

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks Ed. Right now I have a Philips 1.2 Liter model which uses the
> cooling disc method. It is convenient and does a good job making
> frozen yogurt but the ice cream doesn't seem to have the same texture
> and taste as the homemade I enjoyed growing up. Are there differences
> in taste and texture between cooling disc and salt & ice models?
>
> Jay

I have a Cuisinart that uses a frozen bowl. Seems to work OK, but you do
have to be sure all ingredients are well chilled and the bowl has been in
the freezer for at least overnight. Texture is about the same as my older
Sunbeam salt/ice but this is much more convenient.

After given this careful thought, I decided my problem may be the
Philips machine I'm using. I bought Cuisinart's Ice-20 today and
the bowl is freezing as I write. Any suggestions for a Frozen Banana
Yogurt recipe? There are none in Cuisinart's manual.

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Thanks Ed. Right now I have a Philips 1.2 Liter model which uses

the
> > cooling disc method. It is convenient and does a good job making
> > frozen yogurt but the ice cream doesn't seem to have the same

texture
> > and taste as the homemade I enjoyed growing up. Are there

differences
> > in taste and texture between cooling disc and salt & ice models?
> >
> > Jay
> >

> I have a Cuisinart that uses a frozen bowl. Seems to work OK, but

you do
> have to be sure all ingredients are well chilled and the bowl has

been in
> the freezer for at least overnight. Texture is about the same as my

older
> Sunbeam salt/ice but this is much more convenient.

Dee Randall

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> After given this careful thought, I decided my problem may be the
> Philips machine I'm using. I bought Cuisinart's Ice-20 today and
> the bowl is freezing as I write. Any suggestions for a Frozen Banana
> Yogurt recipe? There are none in Cuisinart's manual.
>
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Thanks Ed. Right now I have a Philips 1.2 Liter model which uses

> the
>> > cooling disc method. It is convenient and does a good job making
>> > frozen yogurt but the ice cream doesn't seem to have the same

> texture
>> > and taste as the homemade I enjoyed growing up. Are there

> differences
>> > in taste and texture between cooling disc and salt & ice models?
>> >
>> > Jay
>> >

>> I have a Cuisinart that uses a frozen bowl. Seems to work OK, but

> you do
>> have to be sure all ingredients are well chilled and the bowl has

> been in
>> the freezer for at least overnight. Texture is about the same as my

> older
>> Sunbeam salt/ice but this is much more convenient.

I bought Cuisinart's Ice-20 today and
> the bowl is freezing as I write.

I looked at this on the amazon site. I am interested in buying a new ice
cream machine, but I have been so disappointed in the two that I have had,
the Donvier/Danvier. You had to crank it.

Does the one you bought have an electric motor? (or do they all nowadays?)
Does your brochure suggest that after you freeze your ice cream in the
provided container, that you put it into 'another' container in your freezer
to freeze some more before it is ready for serving?

I'd be interested in how you like your machine.
Thanks,
Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> I looked at this on the amazon site. I am interested in buying a new ice
> cream machine, but I have been so disappointed in the two that I have had,
> the Donvier/Danvier. You had to crank it.
>
> Does the one you bought have an electric motor? (or do they all

nowadays?)
> Does your brochure suggest that after you freeze your ice cream in the
> provided container, that you put it into 'another' container in your

freezer
> to freeze some more before it is ready for serving?
>
> I'd be interested in how you like your machine.

Have you looked at the one from KitchenAid that works with their stand
mixers? It makes two quarts and seems to be available for about $80 online.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ker+attachment

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> I looked at this on the amazon site. I am interested in buying a new ice
> cream machine, but I have been so disappointed in the two that I have had,
> the Donvier/Danvier. You had to crank it.
>
> Does the one you bought have an electric motor? (or do they all

nowadays?)
> Does your brochure suggest that after you freeze your ice cream in the
> provided container, that you put it into 'another' container in your

freezer
> to freeze some more before it is ready for serving?
>
> I'd be interested in how you like your machine.

Have you looked at the one from KitchenAid that works with their stand
mixers? It makes two quarts and seems to be available for about $80 online.
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ker+attachment

SCUBApix

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

<snip>
> I bought Cuisinart's Ice-20 today and
> > the bowl is freezing as I write.

<snip>
> I looked at this on the amazon site. I am interested in buying a new ice
> cream machine, but I have been so disappointed in the two that I have had,
> the Donvier/Danvier. You had to crank it.
>
> Does the one you bought have an electric motor? (or do they all

nowadays?)
> Does your brochure suggest that after you freeze your ice cream in the
> provided container, that you put it into 'another' container in your

freezer
> to freeze some more before it is ready for serving?
>
> I'd be interested in how you like your machine.
> Thanks,
> Dee

I've had the Cuisanart for well over a year now and like it very much. When
not in use, I keep the bowl in the freezer so I can make ice cream or
sherbert on a minutes notice.

The cuisinart is mororized. You make up your custard (or whatever), put it
in the fridge if it is a cooked custard to cool, plug in the cuisinart, turn
it on and pour in the mixture. About 25 minutes later you have the
equivaqlent of a soft custard. Yes, you do move this into another dish and
pop it in the freezer for an hour (or more) to firm up.

I make several different ice creams but really like the sherbert (lemon and
lime) recipes from Cook's Illustrated. They really taste of lemon (or lime).

Dee Randall

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message
>>

>> I looked at this on the amazon site. I am interested in buying a new ice
>> cream machine, but I have been so disappointed in the two that I have
>> had,
>> the Donvier/Danvier. You had to crank it.
>>
>> Does the one you bought have an electric motor? (or do they all

> nowadays?)
>> Does your brochure suggest that after you freeze your ice cream in the
>> provided container, that you put it into 'another' container in your

> freezer
>> to freeze some more before it is ready for serving?
>>
>> I'd be interested in how you like your machine.

> Have you looked at the one from KitchenAid that works with their stand
> mixers? It makes two quarts and seems to be available for about $80
> online.
> http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ker+attachment

Wow!!!! I didn't know about this. Thanks -- I'll look tomorrow when I'm
more alert.
Dee

DOA ice cream maker notbob General Cooking 13 28-06-2008 01:48 AM
ice cream maker Terry General Cooking 8 05-01-2004 01:37 AM
Bel cream maker Bob Pastorio Historic 26 15-12-2003 02:30 PM
Bel Cream Maker Bob Pastorio Preserving 23 14-12-2003 03:53 AM
Bel Cream Maker Bob Pastorio General Cooking 7 11-12-2003 05:34 PM