ggg

Default Why would you need a foldable kitchen island?

Saw on TV that Kelvin Ng from oasis
concepts designed a nice looking foldable kitchen island. Who here ever
can put away their island? I guess this is good for small apartments
with little counterspace for when you only need an island for cutting
board purposes. Can anyone think of another reason to need this? (It's
a nice clean design.) I'm wondering how many units he'll be selling of
this.

Regency Reader

> Saw on TV that Kelvin Ng from oasis
> concepts designed a nice looking foldable kitchen island. Who here ever
> can put away their island? I guess this is good for small apartments
> with little counterspace for when you only need an island for cutting
> board purposes.

There are lots of people - especially in big cities like New York or in
Europe - who have small kitchens and don't have room for a permanent
island. (It looks really convenient to me, except I think my kitchen is
too tiny for even a folding island. The hazard of living in a NY
apartment with a kitchen the size of a closet.) Looking at the picture,
it also looks like it can be moved from room to room - it might be handy
to have a single unit which could be used as a cutting surface and work
table in the kitchen, then be rolled into the dining room or living room
and used as a serving table. Small houses and apartments need to have
furniture that can be used in multiple ways, because there might not be
room to have two separate units.

I've looked at several rolling carts that have a cutting board surface
on the top - I don't have room for a permanent island but I might be
able to squeeze in a rolling cart, and then move it when I need to - but
most of them are very unstable and not suitable for serious cutting
work, or they're outrageously expensive.

Karen
Regency Reader

> Saw on TV that Kelvin Ng from oasis
> concepts designed a nice looking foldable kitchen island. Who here ever
> can put away their island? I guess this is good for small apartments
> with little counterspace for when you only need an island for cutting
> board purposes.

There are lots of people - especially in big cities like New York or in
Europe - who have small kitchens and don't have room for a permanent
island. (It looks really convenient to me, except I think my kitchen is
too tiny for even a folding island. The hazard of living in a NY
apartment with a kitchen the size of a closet.) Looking at the picture,
it also looks like it can be moved from room to room - it might be handy
to have a single unit which could be used as a cutting surface and work
table in the kitchen, then be rolled into the dining room or living room
and used as a serving table. Small houses and apartments need to have
furniture that can be used in multiple ways, because there might not be
room to have two separate units.

I've looked at several rolling carts that have a cutting board surface
on the top - I don't have room for a permanent island but I might be
able to squeeze in a rolling cart, and then move it when I need to - but
most of them are very unstable and not suitable for serious cutting
work, or they're outrageously expensive.

Karen
Steve B.

When we remodeled our kitchen we eliminated an island on the long east
wall that cut the kitchen in half and replaced it with one on the short
north wall where it serves as a breakfast nook. But we put it on
rollers, and it can be undocked from the cabinet and moved into the
center of the room whenever we need additional counter space for cooking.

Steve

Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff
Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com

ggg wrote:
> Saw on TV that Kelvin Ng from oasis
> concepts designed a nice looking foldable kitchen island. Who here ever
> can put away their island? I guess this is good for small apartments
> with little counterspace for when you only need an island for cutting
> board purposes. Can anyone think of another reason to need this? (It's
> a nice clean design.) I'm wondering how many units he'll be selling of
> this.

Steve B.

ggg wrote:
> Saw on TV that Kelvin Ng from oasis
> concepts designed a nice looking foldable kitchen island. Who here ever
> can put away their island? I guess this is good for small apartments
> with little counterspace for when you only need an island for cutting
> board purposes. Can anyone think of another reason to need this? (It's
> a nice clean design.) I'm wondering how many units he'll be selling of
> this.

Steve B.